Discuss Sole Trader-Taking On Extra Labour in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Bill,

So if it was a one off i should be fine just to pay an invoice without making any deductions, but if work got to a stage where i was using a sub contractor on a regular basis i would need to register with cis.

Hi Bill,

So if it was a one off i should be fine just to pay an invoice without making any deductions, but if work got to a stage where i was using a sub contractor on a regular basis i would need to register with cis.

Yes, essentially - if the work falls within the scope of the CIS scheme.

Occasionals are not an issue - it's when you're using labour extensively in this way on work within the scope of the CIS.

Mostly that's site work, big installs, etc. For small works, it won't really be an issue, or with domestics and so forth.

As others have said - the CIS help line are pretty helpful, and can tell you if the work you're planning/volume is within scope or not.

Yes, essentially - if the work falls within the scope of the CIS scheme.

Occasionals are not an issue - it's when you're using labour extensively in this way on work within the scope of the CIS.

Mostly that's site work, big installs, etc. For small works, it won't really be an issue, or with domestics and so forth.

As others have said - the CIS help line are pretty helpful, and can tell you if the work you're planning/volume is within scope or not.

This is how I understand it as well, and I also don't have employers insurance as they are responsible for their own insurances as self employed tradesman.

When I called the cis I explained that it was infrequent ( a couple of weeks in 1 case) and was told I needed to register on the scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
the CIS Scheme from what I gather requires that if you use a subby and he solely works for you for longer than 6 months then you must take him PAYE ( ie pay IR MORE tax) one of the firms local to me have 2 firms they swap subbies inbetween the CIS route also saves on employers NI and Holidaypay ect

the CIS Scheme from what I gather requires that if you use a subby and he solely works for you for longer than 6 months then you must take him PAYE ( ie pay IR MORE tax) one of the firms local to me have 2 firms they swap subbies inbetween the CIS route also saves on employers NI and Holidaypay ect

Your right there mogga.

Plus pretty sure you have to file a CIS return every month, regardless and if you miss it then roll on the fines.

The way I do it is do the work for a fellow trademan then give em an invoice for the work done.

Nice and easy IMO keep it simple

my accountant told me that as long as the amount paid in 1 year to a person doesnt exceed £ 5000 then you can put them down as casual labour, if its more than this then you need to take their HMRC tax number from them and CIS tax off them and make monthly returns to the revenue. and issue a statement to them like a pay slip with what has been deducted.
I just request an invoice and pay them and leave the tax and ni up to them
plenty of decent chaps willing to work a week here and a week there, once you have 4 or 5 you can call on your fine even in extremely busy periods

Reply to Sole Trader-Taking On Extra Labour in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net