Currently reading:
Stopping at traffic lights

Discuss Stopping at traffic lights in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wired, maybe?
(A plumber wouldn't get that...)
Anyway, I stop short of the line until I see a cyclist approaching...then I ease forward...
but let's not get started on the bad road manners of cyclists, or we'll be here all night.

don't get me started on these lycra louts. t'other sunday there were 100 of the buggers, 4 abreast on a narrow country lane. only got some of them to move over when i splashed through a flood.

The Lotus was interesting at traffic lights as you either lent out of the window or looked at the reflection of the lights on the front wing.

No idea. Maybe making room for cyclists to come through ? like when there is a green box for them at the front of the lane.

Anyone know why most drivers seem to think that pedestrian crossings are optional for them to stop at ? Or when they do stop then it's required for them to set off while people are still on the crossing nearly clipping their heels ?

If I remember correctly, you don't have to stop unless there is actually someone on the crossing or have a foot on it, if they're waiting on the kerb to cross you are not legally obliged to stop although of course it's the 'done' thing to do.

If I remember correctly, you don't have to stop unless there is actually someone on the crossing or have a foot on it, if they're waiting on the kerb to cross you are not legally obliged to stop although of course it's the 'done' thing to do.
Yeah I'm aware of that. I'm on about what happens on our nearest main road regularly where they drive over the crossing if you are on the crossing, but the other lane of the road to them. Nearly had my toes crushed many a time.

ok, so when you are in the big orange shed car park...you park in the middle of a row of 5 empty spaces...
oh, you know what happens!
But WHY!
WHY!
Why do they come and park next to you, then struggle to get out their cars without hitting their doors off your bodywork?
Sorry folks, but I could easily KILL in those circumstances!
Yesterday I picked the middle space in a double row of 10, with only 2 other cars...came back 10 minutes later and my car was sandwiched between 2 others, and all the other spaces were still empty.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU NUMPTIES??????????
Can't you park without using my car as a marker?
Oh, sorry...
I get a bit irate sometimes...
Once, many years ago, I was waiting my turn at the carwash...anothet car drew up parallel, and tried to get in first. I showed him my ticket, clearly issued before his, but he barged in anyway...
I waited til the brushes had made one pass from front to back then nipped into the bay and as the skooshers and brushes started to make their second pass I opened his boot and two rear doors...
That'll teach him to swear at me in front of my 7 year old daughter and her friend, I thought.
Words were exchanged!
2 weeks later I saw his car in Tesco's car park. Fortuitously it was parked head-on to a lamp post which I secured to his bumper with some yellow polypropylene rope...I didn't wait around.
Older and wiser now, I really am...
but don't fek with me in the car park!
Oh...d'you know? I feel so much better now! Thanks...

I
ok, so when you are in the big orange shed car park...you park in the middle of a row of 5 empty spaces...
oh, you know what happens!
But WHY!
WHY!
Why do they come and park next to you, then struggle to get out their cars without hitting their doors off your bodywork?
Sorry folks, but I could easily KILL in those circumstances!
Yesterday I picked the middle space in a double row of 10, with only 2 other cars...came back 10 minutes later and my car was sandwiched between 2 others, and all the other spaces were still empty.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU NUMPTIES??????????
Can't you park without using my car as a marker?
Oh, sorry...
I get a bit irate sometimes...
Once, many years ago, I was waiting my turn at the carwash...anothet car drew up parallel, and tried to get in first. I showed him my ticket, clearly issued before his, but he barged in anyway...
I waited til the brushes had made one pass from front to back then nipped into the bay and as the skooshers and brushes started to make their second pass I opened his boot and two rear doors...
That'll teach him to swear at me in front of my 7 year old daughter and her friend, I thought.
Words were exchanged!
2 weeks later I saw his car in Tesco's car park. Fortuitously it was parked head-on to a lamp post which I secured to his bumper with some yellow polypropylene rope...I didn't wait around.
Older and wiser now, I really am...
but don't fek with me in the car park!
Oh...d'you know? I feel so much better now! Thanks...

I've always found a tube of super glue in the door locks to be most effective and satisfying.

don't get me started on these lycra louts. t'other sunday there were 100 of the buggers, 4 abreast on a narrow country lane. only got some of them to move over when i splashed through a flood.

I know, took me an hour to pass this lot the other day....

Vgxqzwo.jpg

about 2 months ago some divvy blocked the road i was going down, i had right of way all cars parked on his side, i thought he was being cheeky to me as i drove past so out i jump and have a wander over to his window, apparently he was just saying that i had right of way LOL

im betting he was being cheeky, but i took one look at the frame of the man and decided i cannot indulge in violence against someone so feminine

When I worked in the Elect.Supply Industry in an effort to reduce the amount of smashed company vans they decided that if you had a crash when driving at work they would put you on a defensive driving course .It was given by an ex cop driving instructor and he told us to leave a car length in front of us when stopping at traffic lights or queues . The reason was to allow you room and a chance to escape or move forward if someone from behind cant stop in time, usually you hear tyres screeching before they decide to flatten the rear of your vehicle. I don't usually leave a car length space but I do leave a decent space and I have saved myself from being shunted on at least one occasion by doing this . It is well worth trying especially if you find yourself getting caught in a motorway queue.

When I worked in the Elect.Supply Industry in an effort to reduce the amount of smashed company vans they decided that if you had a crash when driving at work they would put you on a defensive driving course .It was given by an ex cop driving instructor and he told us to leave a car length in front of us when stopping at traffic lights or queues . The reason was to allow you room and a chance to escape or move forward if someone from behind cant stop in time, usually you hear tyres screeching before they decide to flatten the rear of your vehicle. I don't usually leave a car length space but I do leave a decent space and I have saved myself from being shunted on at least one occasion by doing this . It is well worth trying especially if you find yourself getting caught in a motorway queue.
if you are first in line though shirley just nudge forward a bit regardless of leaving a car space or not, if someone is about to smash into my car from behind id take my chances going over the white line a bit and onto the pavement.

Reply to Stopping at traffic lights in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock