Discuss hi everyone , i have a question regarding extra low voltage lighting, in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Al Capone

the situation is this: 8 x 24v rgbw flood lights for a garden, each fitting has power consumption of 45w. 3 lights into a 200w driver, another 3 into a 200w driver and 2 x into a 150w driver. all in the same B10 RCBO.
the breaker trips after a few hours.
The 230v armour cable and connections are fine. is that a case of overloading? im confused because if we look in terms of amperes its well over on the 24v side. am I getting my math complety wrong? im sure i migh be sounding very very stupid so i do apologize, but i rather come here for knowledge than die with this question. i hope somebody can help? best wishes

Welcome - are you in the UK?

the situation is this: 8 x 24v rgbw flood lights for a garden, each fitting has power consumption of 45w. 3 lights into a 200w driver, another 3 into a 200w driver and 2 x into a 150w driver. all in the same B10 RCBO.
The 230v armour cable and connections are fine. is that a case of overloading? im confused because if we look in terms of amperes its well over on the 24v side. am I getting my math complety wrong? im sure i migh be sounding very very stupid so i do apologize, but i rather come here for knowledge than die with this question. i hope somebody can help? best wishes
8 x 45 watt? then 3 x 45 watt and 2 x 45 watt into 2X 200 watt and 1 X150 watt drivers on a B type MCB? answer this first to confirm load then confirm low voltage fittings, length of run etc and we will be able to chip in

Is that 45W & 200W/150W total with every thing on - rather than 45W/channel or 180W total ? I assume the former as 8off 180W would be aot of light !
200 + 200 + 150 is only 550W total, under 3A. It would take something in the order of 20A to maje the B10 trip - and from 3A to 20A would need a really bad power factor.
It's not impossible that the MCB is faulty.
Have you measured the actual current draw ?

So you have a total of 550w @ 230v, you shouldn't be challenging a B6 on overload but clamping it can confirm this.

Do you have an earth leakage figure for the floods/drivers? Could it be cumulative working earth leakage.

Failing that it could be a genuine fault causing leakage, a low current clamp meter is a helpful diagnostic tool if not very quantitative.

Reply to hi everyone , i have a question regarding extra low voltage lighting, in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net