Currently reading:
sub main from a tt supply

Discuss sub main from a tt supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KEVINDOE

Hi Guys,
I am running a s.w.a. sub main to a garage c.u., the supply is TT, The s.w.a will be buried for a few meters and then clipped direct before entering the garage.
The existing boured is 16th and has no free RcD ways, am i right in saying that a sub main should be protected if origin is TT ?

Thanks Jem :confused:

henly blocks into switch/fuse, then SWA to garage CU with RCD/MCBs. 2nd rod at garage end . any water or services in garage ?

sorry just re-read post . thought you said no spare ways. but apparently you have spare non-RCD ways. then you can come off MCB. SWA doesn't need RCD at front end as it is mechanically protectd.

Last edited:
Yes telectrix, got spare non RCD way, final circuits will be 30ma protected at garage c.u. , no utilitys, perhaps im confused with a metal clad main c.u. situation ?

think so. if metalclad CU in garage, need RCD at front end of SWA to prevent CU becoming live in case of fault.plastic CU, no need. suggested 2nd rod as that will improve your Ze on both house and garage. earth armour at both ends.

sorry just re-read post . thought you said no spare ways. but apparently you have spare non-RCD ways. then you can come off MCB. SWA doesn't need RCD at front end as it is mechanically protectd.

The circuit needs to comply with 411.3.2.4

I'm surprised the existing DB doesn't have 1 x 100mA S type RCD & 1 x 30mA RCD if it is a 16th ed board on a TT system.......

An S type RCD will be expensive......If it's just a garage with the usual couple of sockets and lights I'd be inclined to 30ma RCD the distribution circuit from a separate henly blocked DB at the intake, and just use a normal main switch CU in the garage....depends whether cost is a consideration.

I may have not have got this right but i think you have said the main supply is tt . If so how have you got any spare non rcd ways ! it's tt ?

Sorry dp, main 100 rcd removed to allow c.u. to be fitted as 4 way 3036 was there before, three rcbos on non rcd side 16th edition, imm, 2x lights.
i dont know who did the change, no certs provided, may have been d.i.y ?

Reply to sub main from a tt supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock