Discuss Table Lamp - No markings with no earth in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Grant Naylor

PAT testing table lamps. There is no CE or Class II mark (in fact no markings of any type). Opened up the plug to check the fuse and found no E just L/N.

Ran an IR test anyway which they passed, as did the plugs/fittings etc.

They are not SELV as take a standard bulb and no transformer anyway.
They are not class II as you can take out the bulb and touch the L/N terminals :)

My thinking they are old class I and under old laws would have been classed safe. However, I think my advice will be to replace them with new lamps. I can't pass them as class I since there is no earth continuity.

Any advice?

all depends on the construction. if the flex goes directly into the lamp holder and the lamp holder is all plastic, then it may well be a classII, but manufactured before the current markings came out. you have to use your own discretion as to whether it's safe for continued use.

can you touch any metallic parts ie brass lamp holder when in normal operation? or is the lamp holder plastic? pulling the lamp out and sticking your fingers in the holder is not part of the normal operation of the lamp.

can you touch any metallic parts ie brass lamp holder when in normal operation? or is the lamp holder plastic? pulling the lamp out and sticking your fingers in the holder is not part of the normal operation of the lamp.

Ah. I see. No you can't. So they are Class II. I thought class was determined by construction not operation

sticking your fingers in is also not part of the recognised test procedure.

Reply to Table Lamp - No markings with no earth in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net