Search the forum,

Discuss torque requirements of MCB terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I assume they were reffering to the ammended regulation

From the IET website, although I do not have the yellow book to verify that this is the exact wording that made it into AMD3.

Regulation 134.1.1 has been changed from:
"Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment."
to:
"Good workmanship by skilled (electrically) or instructed (electrically) persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions."

From the IET website, although I do not have the yellow book to verify that this is the exact wording that made it into AMD3.

Regulation 134.1.1 has been changed from:
"Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment."
to:
"Good workmanship by skilled (electrically) or instructed (electrically) persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions."

Looks like they have managed to make it into even more of a grey area!

Looks like they have managed to make it into even more of a grey area!

No it's actually a good thing. It takes away the requirement to follow instructions blindly when the instructions for some pieces of equipment are unsuitable to be followed. Examples would be where a range of cookers of different ratings are all given a blanket instruction to suit the highest rated in the range, or where a product sold European wide has instructions that go against our wiring regs.

There still is and was a reg that covers the correct selection of equipment for purpose, use, environment etc that states to take account of instructions, but the installer is not always the same fella as does the selection of equipment.

NICEIC ask to see your torque screwdriver during inspection. I could rub some mud on it and make it looked used. A strong wrist and experience is all you need to do up an MCB, luckily I have both (No jokes about strong wrists please)

That's the NICEIC rules not the BS 7671 Regulations, do Stroma, Elecsa and the rest of the scams have the same rule?

I have a torque screwdriver and I use it on breakers etc but not the earth and neutral bars, it states in the manufacturers data that it needs to be 2.5Nm or something, but you will find if you tighten a gaged board up to what it says with say a 1mm conductor it snaps it and an MK board it doesn't because the bottom of the screw is not as sharp.

just use common sense and experience.

on a EICR today I got 9 Turns on the Tails with my driver set to 2.0nm

My torque driver has saved me from a long insurance battle after a DB set on fire about 4 months after I did a EICR. I check all terminals in DB with it once I have finished, as far a NIC (Consultant to client) Were concerned There was no responsibility on my shoulders!

Reply to torque requirements of MCB terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock