Discuss torque requirements of MCB terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Does anyone know the general torque requirements of MCB terminals?
Just bought myself a new torque screwdriver set and ought to know what I should be setting it to!

Just becareful buying a Torque screwdriver... Not all brands (Such as schneider) cover the full range of torque settings required by manufactures.

Just becareful buying a Torque screwdriver... Not all brands (Such as schneider) cover the full range of torque settings required by manufactures.
You have got to be kidding! Its a schneider that I have bought this morning! £75 quid!! I can feel a credit back coming on..

Why? Because you have to read some info?

Because he's about to learn the futility of buying a Torque Screwdriver for domestic MCB's with their pi$$y slack poorly formed terminal screws and badly tapped holes in the busbars.

Until the manufacturers seriously address that little issue you'll never get the terminals to stay tight for any length of time!

If you don't understand what I'm banging on about take a look at your modern terminals and compare them with the old ones that you're all so keen to chuck away. Two properly formed screws per terminal for a start!!

You have got to be kidding! Its a schneider that I have bought this morning! £75 quid!! I can feel a credit back coming on..

Find yourself an old-school engineer to teach you how to use & look after your screwdrivers & give him your £75.

I still have the set I made when I was an apprentice and they're still in good order and YES they DO get used!!

Find yourself an old-school engineer to teach you how to use & look after your screwdrivers & give him your £75.

I still have the set I made when I was an apprentice and they're still in good order and YES they DO get used!!

Difference being Torque screwdrivers/ torque setting screws etc is now regulations.

Difference being Torque screwdrivers/ torque setting screws etc is now regulations.
NICEIC ask to see your torque screwdriver during inspection. I could rub some mud on it and make it looked used. A strong wrist and experience is all you need to do up an MCB, luckily I have both (No jokes about strong wrists please)

since when?

Regulation
Regulation 134.1.1 of BS 7671:2008 states:
Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer on the equipment.

So reading the manufacturers data/instruction they'll tell you to torque set it to X amount.

Regulation

So reading the manufacturers data/instruction they'll tell you to torque set it to X amount.

Some of these terminals are of such poor quality you hardly need a screwdriver at all - you can almost push them in with your thumb just like a press stud!

Reply to torque requirements of MCB terminals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net