Discuss Training courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

randyrat

Hi everybody,
Now, before you all jump on me and say "you can't be a sparky if you havent been in the trade for twenty years".....
I am ex forces, having spent 15 years as an senior electrical technician on HM Submarines. Sadly for the RN they don't provide civilian recognised qualifications, so people like me leave with virtually nothing to back up our experience.
One good thing they do, however, is give you a decent retraining budget. I would like to use mine to gain all those quals necessary to call myself a Sparky. A short intensive course such as MET or Reactfast offer sounds ideal; provided I can stay awake during the "Basic Electric Theory" modules. (Yawn)
Has anyone had experience of these intensive courses? Am I wasting my time? Is there a better (cheaper) way of getting some credibility....any ex forces on here had the same sort of experience?
Many thanks
Randyrat:D

Hi randyrat

When did the RN stop teaching the Electrical Technicians civvy qualifications? When i worked in a shipyard building the Type 2400 subs all the electrical PO's and CPO's had ONC and HNC qualifications?:p

Ah yes....but how does an OND in engineering (combined electrical/mechanical) convert to C&G 2391, 2330, EAL etc? I have no doubt that with a little education in domestic circuitry/testing I will be well away...it's all wigglys after all, and the theory is all the same.....I just want the quickest route to conversion/adaptation of my current knowledge and experience....and to get in work a bit higher up than the bottom rung....
Cheers for any more advice.......
randyrat

wiggly amps rumrunner

in the forces we used to work an AC and DC systems

AC has got a sine wave, so its 'wiggly amps' as oppsed to 'straight amps' on a DC system;)

Wow,ive never heard that one ,im happy now ,learn something new every day is my motto ,wigglys wow ,what a player ,thanks shakey

No problems Rum me old chum

Its easy to forget that not everone comes from the same background and talks the same language

it was like, working on diesel gen sets, and you ask the diesel fitter to disconnect the generator windings whilst he's doing a deep strip

"no way mate, s' got wiggly amps that end, not touching it"

it was the same with load testing: "too many wiggly amps for my liking"

Poofs!

Ah yes....but how does an OND in engineering (combined electrical/mechanical) convert to C&G 2391, 2330, EAL etc? I have no doubt that with a little education in domestic circuitry/testing I will be well away...it's all wigglys after all, and the theory is all the same.....I just want the quickest route to conversion/adaptation of my current knowledge and experience....and to get in work a bit higher up than the bottom rung....
Cheers for any more advice.......
randyrat

Randyrat

ONC/OND/HNC/HND are not qualifications for house bashing but more for industry where they have machinery etc like ship have.

Hi chaps....
thanks for explaining to the world about "wigglies"....I assumed that was a common term for AC....guess not....
so...back to the original question....what are the bare minimum quals required for legal working? I see myself doing housebashing and domestic wiring/testing rather than commercial stuff, so what do I need in my certificate drawer to prove my competence?
Cheers chaps.....the day I become a civilian is getting closer and closer, so before I lash out 4 grand on a combined intensive course, please lets have some helpful advice....
Cheers in advance
Randyrat

Randy,

to install test & inspect and certify your own work in adomestic premises:

EAL Domestic Installer
C&G 2382 17th Edition wiring regs

(minimum)

Plus preferably C&G 2391 (and possibly 2392 first)

if you have a good background,which you have, you dont need to do any basic modules, just bang straight into the EAL DEI!!!

Reply to Training courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock