Search the forum,

Discuss voltage at light fitting switch off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BES

Evening people
At it says getting about 90v at
fitting between l-n & l-e with sw off What could be causing this all tests ok . Ir around 250 l-e & 300 l-n .
Ta

A lot of induced voltage. Try isolating all circuits then bring them on one at a time whilst monitoring the voltage, this should give you a rough idea of where to start.

Cheers strima its only when lighting circuit is on everything else off . Found it last thing today ill investigate more monday.

Someone's probably dumped an extra 20 feet of T+E under the boards and got the cables all twisted up, great for magnetising screwdrivers!!!

Cheers strima its only when lighting circuit is on everything else off . Found it last thing today ill investigate more monday.

This appears to be at odds with your #1 post ... do you actually mean lighting circuit OFF and everything else ON perhaps? Also what instrument are using to measure the voltage?

Markiesparkie
All other circuits off . Lighting circuit on switch to light fitting off voltage between switch return and neutral or earth at fitting approx 90v. Measure with megger mft 1720.

As a thought check the connections - I had this on a socket the other week - the terminal was lose giving me 120v L-N, 240v L-E and 120v N-E.
The terminal was lose creating a large resistance between the neutral terminal and cable.

Just thinking is this a 2 way light switch? - there for this should not have any voltage on the side not being used.

Do a IR test between both switched Line terminals of the switch (with the cables attached) - someone might have put a nail through it or a fried mouse

No 2way seperate switch for each fitting. Thanks for replies chaps its gave me a few things to look at when i go back. Cheers.

No truckster havent . How would that tell you.
Ta

A Loz voltage tester puts a low impedance as opposed to the nomal high impedance across the contact points which allows the induced current to drain so you get a more accurate measurement. I had a leaflet on it somewhere but can't find it. I think I got it from the Fluke website so you could have a look there.

Last edited:
Agree with truckster, are the switch wire and the feed in the same cable. To understand it a bit better, get a couple of metres of twin and earth connect the live and earth in a plug top leave the blue disconnected out of the plug and terminate the wires at the other end in block connectors, when the brown is live there will be a induced voltage on the floating wire(blue) it can't go anywhere until there is a bulb or resistor for it to flow to 0volts.

Hi Bes how did you get on with this problem??

I have a very similar problem at one of my jobs, just wondered if your experiance might help me out

many thanks

Billy

Reply to voltage at light fitting switch off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back