Who Are You?

Discuss Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This poll is for all Forum members. Please read the poll carefully and then choose the best description in the context of your membership of the forum. I can't include all options, so you might like to go into more detail by posting in the thread.

The poll is confidential (forum names are not visible).

For the purposes of the poll:
'Apprenticeship' means a pre-planned formal arrangement for multiple years of structured classroom and on-the-job training.
'Short Course' means a concentrated course of less than 6 weeks of mostly classroom based learning. (Just a C&G 2381 / 2382 'regs' course doesn't count.)
'Electrician' means anyone doing hands-on installation, maintenance, repair or testing of electrical systems (normally for payment) and includes 'domestic installer'.

I'm not trying to be flipant or clever, but what makes you think you're entitled to call yourself an Engineer??

I don't get you. I could have registered as IEng, but whilst in service it would have been a pointless waste of money to join a civilian organisation.

Are you trying to say there are no Engineers in the armed forces as they don't register civvyside? Once again I don't get your point? Is this a personal attack on me, or on the whole of the armed forces?

Would 'Former Engineer' satisfy your ego.

I think he's trying to say that because youre not officially registered as an engineer, you can't possibly be one which personally I don't agree with.

If you look up the definition of an engineer, the general definition is something along the lines of someone who designs, builds and maintains. No where does it say that an engineer can only be an engineer by being registered to some sort of trade body.

I think he's trying to say that because youre not officially registered as an engineer, you can't possibly be one which personally I don't agree with.

If you look up the definition of an engineer, the general definition is something along the lines of someone who designs, builds and maintains. No where does it say that an engineer can only be an engineer by being registered to some sort of trade body.

Mmm, £140 a year times 22 years for something of absolutely no use to me. I'm glad I gave it a miss. Methinks E54 is trying to willy wang.

I don't get you. I could have registered as IEng, but whilst in service it would have been a pointless waste of money to join a civilian organisation.

Are you trying to say there are no Engineers in the armed forces as they don't register civvyside? Once again I don't get your point? Is this a personal attack on me, or on the whole of the armed forces?

Would 'Former Engineer' satisfy your ego.

I'm not saying that at all, i asked you a perfectly reasonable question if you don't want to answer , fair enough. If i wanted to aim a personal attack on you, you would know all about it....

Oh, and i don't do ''willy wanging'' i leave that to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying that at all, i asked you a perfectly reasonable question if you don't want to answer , fair enough. If i wanted to aim a personal attack on you, you would no all about it....

Oh, and i don't do ''willy wanging'' i leave that to others.

Okay then. Why would you consider me not to be an engineer. If it is lack of registration, do you seriously expect me to have registered with a body holding no relevance to my armed forces career?

I'm saying, you need the qualifications to back up self imposed titles of Engineer. Recognised Institutes such as ITE and CIBSE would be the general official route to take in this instance...

As i stated previously just about anyone can call themselves an engineer in the UK even on business advertising material. Try doing that in most westernised countries and you'll quickly find yourself in hot water...

I'm saying, you need the qualifications to back up self imposed titles of Engineer. Recognised Institutes such as ITE and CIBSE would be the general official route to take in this instance...

As i stated previously just about anyone can call themselves an engineer in the UK even on business advertising material. Try doing that in most westernised countries and you'll quickly find yourself in hot water...
charted enginer is a protected title but normal enginer isnt

the professional titles of Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer IEng), Chartered Engineer (CEng) and ICT Technician (ICTTech) may only be used by those who have been granted these titles through registration with the Engineering Council.

www.engc.org.uk/statusofengineers.aspx

You can dress it up as you like, in the trade people who matter know what the definition of an engineer is, and it is certainely a merited position most of us will not achieve.

I worked for a company around 20 years ago I suppose now who had a maintenance contract with a large shopping centre, one day I was in the office awaiting new instructions when the phone went and I heard the boss say "I will send an Engineer around now to sort it out" He asked me who is only a site technician to go there and wait for it= replace a lamp over a stair case lol. The word engineer is used to often for my liking and is an insult to hard working engineers who have actually done the real training to have and hold the title.

charted enginer is a protected title but normal enginer isnt

the professional titles of Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer IEng), Chartered Engineer (CEng) and ICT Technician (ICTTech) may only be used by those who have been granted these titles through registration with the Engineering Council.

www.engc.org.uk/statusofengineers.aspx

It's actually the Engineering Council that is officiating the title of ''Engineer'' at the end of the day.

You can dress it up as you like, in the trade people who matter know what the definition of an engineer is, and it is certainely a merited position most of us will not achieve.

I'm not trying to dress it up at all. To be honest, I couldn't care if I'm referred to as a engineer or not. Like I said in my original post, I chose engineer from the list on the poll because that's the closest to what I do.

How can i answer that, if you won't answer the question i asked above??

I think I have already stated my position reasonably clearly in that lack of registration does not preclude you being an Engineer. Certainly in the Armed Forces there are many who could register as CEng or IEng but choose not to do so as it does not have any bearing on their role in the forces and would simply amount to a yearly fee for nothing. With my quals and experience I could have registered as IEng but chose not to do so.

Do you seriously expect Forces personnel to register for a membership that would do nothing for them?

Edit.. Having seen your answer to my question of 'are you a chartered engineer?' on another part of the forum it would appear that you are as I originally thought 'willy wanging' your registered status.

Last edited:
I think I have already stated my position reasonably clearly in that lack of registration does not preclude you being an Engineer. Certainly in the Armed Forces there are many who could register as CEng or IEng but choose not to do so as it does not have any bearing on their role in the forces and would simply amount to a yearly fee for nothing. With my quals and experience I could have registered as IEng but chose not to do so.

Do you seriously expect Forces personnel to register for a membership that would do nothing for them?
no i dont think he is saying that, what he will mean is someone that meets the requirements if they signed up with them to get it.

In the late 90's I did a lot of work for a " suit ", very posh with a plum in his mouth, always immaculately dressed. He was well respected as a successful businessman and for his extensive knowledge on most things to do with building and steelwork etc etc.
I assumed he was some sort of quantity surveyor or similar.
His card had his name on it with Bais 1974 hons. next to it.
One night after a couple of drinks I asked him what it stood for, some kind of honours degree I thought.
He looked at me and smiled, swore me to secrecy and told me.
Bais 1974 hons = Been at it since 1974 honestly!
He also told me l was the first person ever to ask.

The way I see it, your either a professionally registered Engineer or your not, simple!

That as a statement is inherently correct.

However, the real question we are trying to answer is should those qualified and experienced who could register but do not be calling themselves Engineers. This is of particular relevance to the Armed Forces where there is no benefit to registering, only a financial downside.

To put it another way, should a time served qualified electrician be calling himself an electrician if he is not registered with some body or other be it JIB or a CPS.

Reply to Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back