Discuss Its official...I am not an Electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 109422

Hello, I joined this helpful forum a few days ago, I did introduce myself on the "New Members" thread and thanks to those who welcomed me. Nice one!

I will repeat some of the info I gave from my initial post so this makes sense.

I am 50 years old this year. From school (1985) I went and worked for various companies, wiring houses mostly but I did spend a couple of years on a boat yard, assisting with electrical work on boats/ships as well as wiring out workshops at the site. I didn't complete a formal apprenticeship. I continued to work as an "electrician" until 1998. I then decided I wanted a change in career and went to university, I graduated in 2002. I mostly worked in my new field of interest up until a month ago. However, I decided in 2010 that I would get back into electrical work, I studied hard and gained some qualifications. I landed an electrical maintenance job in a local prison employed directly by the government. Although this daunted me I was told that I would be supported by two other electricians. On my first day it became apparent that one of the other electricians had been on permanent sick for the last 8 months, two weeks later the other electrician left. So, I am the only "electrician" left on site attempting to electrically run a small village of nutters. This didn't suit me. I left and went back to the job I have a degree in.....until now.

So, aged almost 50 I am seeking work.
Perhaps this is the point where I should share my qualifications with you..

1987..C+G in electrical installation competences part 1 (2360-1) Plus AM1
1994..C+G in electrical installation competences part 2
I did the 16th edition, don't remember which year
1998-2002..University (non electrically related)
2010..C+G level 3, Testing and Inspection (2391)
2010..C+G level 3, installing and testing domestic PV systems (2372)
2010..C+G level 3, 17th edition (2382. BS 7671)
2010..C+G level 3, PAT (2377)

I have been in contact with the JIB in regard to getting a ECS card and heard from them today. I am eligible for a "labourers" card (valid for 3 years) or an "experienced workers" card (valid for 18 months). The labourers card would not show any qualifications on the back of it, the experienced workers card does show my qualifications on the back of it, but this card can not be renewed once it has expired. The application cost £48. I choose the experienced workers card because I am rather proud of my qualifications. For those who remember the 2360-1 and 2360-2 they were not easy.

So, to get an "Electricians" card from the JIB I need to complete the AM2 and NVQ3. I am not knocking this, fair enough if that is what is required today. However, I was disappointed that after all these years thinking that I was an electrician.....I am not! Ha! Ho Hum.

The main thing is I now have an ECS card which will hopefully get me on site somewhere in the near future as a mate. I was never going to apply for a job as an electrician as I know I am rusty but it just made me think. My qualifications are worth ----.

But, and this is a genuine question, how many non-electricians do you know who have passed the 2391?

Cheers for reading this. All constructive comments gratefully received.

I am hoping to work on large projects where possible, away work is fine, I drive and have own tools.

Thanks for a great forum, it is nice to be part of it.

Sym

Edit...I forgot to mention, I also have the "Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme" card (SSSTS) (2017), a three day First Aid certificate (2017) and have completed an Asbestos Awareness course (2018).

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting read Sym, I could be wrong as it was many moons ago, but I'm sure once you got your AM2 & NVQ3 you were eligible for an Approved Electricians card from the JIB, I only say this as I passed all the same as you plus the above and remember getting one. I stand corrected if incorrect but as say many moons ago.
Good luck with finding work, if your ever in the Basingstoke area give me a shout and may be able to help your out.

It was the same for me, fortunately I managed to do my NVQ just before they chamged it and you needed you AM2 also to get a JIB gold card. I did my NVQthrough the forum sponser XS training who were very helpful, so maybe worth contacting them about getting it sorted.

Thanks Dillb. I might be wrong but I think the AM2 is part of the NVQ3 now?
I am not really sure what to do to be honest. I am going to attempt to get a job as an electricians mate and go from there.
My CV is a bit of a mess because of the large breaks I have had in electrical employment, I think I need advice on this one also.

Cheers for your reply
Sym.

Thanks Dillb. I just clicked on the XS training link and that sounds kind of positive.

if, and when, you have time perhaps you could pm me with all of your experiences with doing this online course. No worries if you are busy. I will look into it further at some point.

all the best fella

Thanks Casper. I think I need to get a job first and then I will definitely be looking into it. I need some on site experience for a while first as it has been a while.
Out of interest, did you also get your AM2?

Sym

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks SWD. I don't think I was ever registered with the JIB. When I applied for my ECS card about a week ago they said they had no record of me.
It is not a biggy, I will just find some work as an electricians mate and go from there. I will be doing my 18th edition at the soonest opportunity to show I have some knowledge and am not a chancer.

Cheers for the prompt reply,

Sym.

I appreciate all the replies. Thanks.

However, no one has actually answered a question I made in my initial post......

"how many non-electricians do you know who have passed the 2391?"

Hi Sym, in answer to your question, there are lots of non-electricians with the 2391 qualification. Mostly those who did a short 'become an electrician in 6 weeks' course which included PATesting, 17th edition, and a 'Part P' qualification such as the C&G2393. They were coached to pass the 2391 without understanding what they were doing and then would have to come on forums such as these asking for help to find the most basic faults while working in a customer's house.
There are plenty of experienced sparks working on sites without a JIB Gold Card although it is becoming a bit more difficult to get work as an electrician without one. I still see adverts asking for nothing more than the 17th edition and an ECS card.

Reply to Its official...I am not an Electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net