Currently reading:
Why are proving units so expensive?

Discuss Why are proving units so expensive? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have two smaller faulty ones that I got given, I may take one of these to bits later and post the pics.

I would rather not take the afore mentioned PD690 one apart.

I have a circuit diagram somewhere, only a few tranny's and a transformer, not much to it. Basically a battery powered oscillator (sine) which transforms up to 240 v. But when you build one yourself you might get problems getting it calibrated.

Last edited:
I vave a corcuit diagram somewhere, only a few tranny's and a transformer, not much to it. Basically a battery powered oscillator (sine) which transforms up to 240 v. But when you build one yourself you might get problems getting it calibrated.

then you just need to build a calibrator :p

... Which needs to be calibrated as well. I don't know actually whether a proving unit has to be calibrated at all. If not then yes, you can build one yourself.

I know I will get slapped wrists for this but I have got into the habit of testing for dead with my voltage indicator then double check with my voltage stick(non contact type). At least I can wave my voltage stick around the tails to check it is still working. Something I cannot do with a VI if the isolator/meter is sealed.

I reckon proving units are so expensive purely because they don't sell enough of them to get economies of scale!

That's going to do more than bite you on the arse one day, fine to use to prove live but using it to prove dead could well make you dead :lol Silly sausage :)

... Which needs to be calibrated as well. I don't know actually whether a proving unit has to be calibrated at all. If not then yes, you can build one yourself.

I've just checked the instructions on my new Martindale.

Proving unit, no mention of calibration.
Voltage indicator, to be calibrated yearly.

i got one free as an "incetive"at an old firm. and didnt realy use it. must admit ive allways used the incoming supply as a means of proving my tester.
although after looking at what my little kewtech unit would have cost. cant belive the prices?

Proving on the incomer is no good when there is no supply on the incomer.

In 45 years I've never felt the need to own or use one, I've always used the 3 meter system.
If you test with 3 different meters the chances of all 3 being U-S are about as high as being hit by lightning in a cellar.

However I've just been given one by my current employer so I'm now looking for the chance to use it. I think I may use my 3 meters to prove the prover just in case it's no good. And then a final poke with an earthed cable.

Woman struck by lightning in Wakefield - Boston News, Massachusettts News, WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM

£50 plus vat is the cheapest I'V seen I need to get one for my 1st assesment soon so when the guys gone it'll be out with battery back in its box till next year I mean who the hell is going to test the tester, go up a ladder test the incoming tails, turn it of test the tails test the out side of the iso go down the ladders test the tester go back up the ladders and test the dead side again I mean whats the punter going to think, jeez I mean if the little lights go out it dead ffs
Pict

£50 plus vat is the cheapest I'V seen I need to get one for my 1st assesment soon so when the guys gone it'll be out with battery back in its box till next year I mean who the hell is going to test the tester, go up a ladder test the incoming tails, turn it of test the tails test the out side of the iso go down the ladders test the tester go back up the ladders and test the dead side again I mean whats the punter going to think, jeez I mean if the little lights go out it dead ffs
Pict
Hello first post on the forum,
I have just had my yearly inspection with the nic and was asked to do safe isolation and at the end I told the inspector that I was checking the incoming side to make sure the voltage indicator was still working and his reply was "very good making sure that the unit is still working so you know that you are now safe to work" looks like proving units can stay on the shelves.

I got one 'free' when I bought a Martindale VT a little while ago, foolishly believing it would be a Martindale brand proving unit. Wrong! Piece of cack arrived instead. But it works and was free, though a little awkward to use - so I generally don't. :lipsrsealed2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Why are proving units so expensive? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back