Discuss Why are proving units so expensive? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, my query is about proving units. Several firms make them but they all seem quite expensive is it because not many are sold as an Electronics engineer I can't see the components costing a lot or is there some other reason. As I am starting up again a proving unit is a long way down the list surely combination sales would be a better bet where you buy the Voltage tester and the proving unit is part of the kit. Brian

i always use the incoming side of the main switch as a proving unit. why buy when there's a free one there already?

Simple answer is because the scams require you to have one,thats why they are so dear.Like the nut I once needed for my van,average price of a nut about 50p this one from dealer was about a tenner,when I kicked off about the price the reply was yeah mate course its dear but you cant drive the van without it!

I have one, , got it as a freebie a couple of years ago, grabbed it on my last assessment and my assessor asked why I wasn't using the incomming supply. Said that I thought that's what they expected as I would usually use the supply. Got a sort of knowing look so I put the unit back in the bag and there it stays.

only proving unit i use is for checking that our HV equiptment is dead...!!

LV units are expensive and as already said... check against the incoming supply!

problem is you need a proving unit for your proving unit to prove that the first one is working question is the battery in the proving unit flat or are the prods faulty , i got one ,found the prods would fit through the holes great eh

Proving on the incomer is no good when there is no supply on the incomer.

In 45 years I've never felt the need to own or use one, I've always used the 3 meter system.
If you test with 3 different meters the chances of all 3 being U-S are about as high as being hit by lightning in a cellar.

However I've just been given one by my current employer so I'm now looking for the chance to use it. I think I may use my 3 meters to prove the prover just in case it's no good. And then a final poke with an earthed cable.

Apart from the cost, some proving units are not well designed. I've got a Kewtech one, and my AVI probe tips won't fit into the proving unit holes, if I keep the guards on the AVI and just have 2mm tips exposed. So I end up using the AVI with much larger exposed tips (10 to 15mm), well beyond what GS38 would have us use. I think it should be possible to design a much better proving unit at a much cheaper price.

I know I will get slapped wrists for this but I have got into the habit of testing for dead with my voltage indicator then double check with my voltage stick(non contact type). At least I can wave my voltage stick around the tails to check it is still working. Something I cannot do with a VI if the isolator/meter is sealed.

I reckon proving units are so expensive purely because they don't sell enough of them to get economies of scale!

they should at least be 20% cheaper imo. they should be vat exempt

I remember when VAT was first introduced & my old gaffer was having a rant about it: "Value added tax?? .... it adds nothing to the value of anything, it only adds tot he price .... it should be called Price Added Tax !!!"

And there was two different rates wasn't there? One was 8% I think, but not sure what the other rate was, but it was higher. I seem to remember the lower rate being applied to the toys that you put in budgies cages if it didn't have a mirror, but the higher rate applied if it did. (something like that anyway)

Reply to Why are proving units so expensive? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net