Discuss Will this old consumer unit pose any issues with an upcoming EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Neptune

DIY
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I've had invaluable advice from this forum in relation to EICR's and clarifying my understanding that just because the consumer unit is "old", it does not need to be replaced. Since then, I had the EICR carried out at my rental property. This went to plan.

I am now scheduling my next EICR on a separate property and this has an even older Consumer Unit but everything works and seems safe e.g. no cracked fittings or exposed cables from my pre-inspection checks.

My question: will this type of Consumer Unit be okay to produce a satisfactory EICR?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• consumer unit.jpg
    consumer unit.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 83
CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Reaction score
I would give some serious thought about weather of not you want to be renting out a property with rewirwable fuses. There's a good chance whoever you rent it to won't know what to do if one blows.

You'll either end up having to go out and change it or get an electrician into do it.

At the other end of the scale your tenant might replace it with wrong rating or worse stick a nail in there.

Reaction score
If any sockets are likely to supply outside equipment ie a house or ground floor flat (3rd floor stated by NICEIC) this would attract a C2 code and gain an UNSATISFACTORY report

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
C1 codes are generally given to immediate rectification needed. e.g. exposed live parts. C2 is for urgent rectification, potetial danger. e.g. where garden tools can suffer cut cables resulting in danger to persons. either of these codes result in an unsatisfactory EICR, like a MOT fail, whereas C3's may just be akin to a MOT advisorynote.

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
What that lot said ^^^

One its own, a rewirable board is not automatically unsatisfactory (C2 or C1) but unless various other criteria are met it would fail on the lack of RCD support.

Rewirable fuses are not good for most folk. The folk who visit here probably can manage, but if you have ever had to rewire the light circuits fuse in the dark then you realise how much of a pain it is. Not to mention the very real risk of incorrect wire being used and a further fault potentially starting a fire.

You can get plug-in MCBs for such boards but really you are throwing money away that would be best spent on a modern board with RCD, or preferable RCBO, protection. RCD boards are slightly cheaper, but a fault on one circuit can take out several, where as RCBOs allow faults to be limited in the trouble they cause.

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
See if anyone on this forum is close enough (just post town or post code, not any personal details).

Reply to Will this old consumer unit pose any issues with an upcoming EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.