Discuss Will this old consumer unit pose any issues with an upcoming EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Neptune

DIY
Reaction score
I've had invaluable advice from this forum in relation to EICR's and clarifying my understanding that just because the consumer unit is "old", it does not need to be replaced. Since then, I had the EICR carried out at my rental property. This went to plan.

I am now scheduling my next EICR on a separate property and this has an even older Consumer Unit but everything works and seems safe e.g. no cracked fittings or exposed cables from my pre-inspection checks.

My question: will this type of Consumer Unit be okay to produce a satisfactory EICR?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Will this old consumer unit pose any issues with an upcoming EICR? consumer unit - EletriciansForums.net
    consumer unit.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 88
I would give some serious thought about weather of not you want to be renting out a property with rewirwable fuses. There's a good chance whoever you rent it to won't know what to do if one blows.

You'll either end up having to go out and change it or get an electrician into do it.

At the other end of the scale your tenant might replace it with wrong rating or worse stick a nail in there.

If any sockets are likely to supply outside equipment ie a house or ground floor flat (3rd floor stated by NICEIC) this would attract a C2 code and gain an UNSATISFACTORY report

C1 codes are generally given to immediate rectification needed. e.g. exposed live parts. C2 is for urgent rectification, potetial danger. e.g. where garden tools can suffer cut cables resulting in danger to persons. either of these codes result in an unsatisfactory EICR, like a MOT fail, whereas C3's may just be akin to a MOT advisorynote.

Thanks for the helpful responses. What is an average cost to replace such a consumer unit please?
dual RCD CU around £350. all RCBO about £500+. if SPD and/or AFD included, could be looking at £800+. and depends on where theCU is fitted, access to work, area of UK. cheaper north of watford.

whaereabouts are you located?

What that lot said ^^^

One its own, a rewirable board is not automatically unsatisfactory (C2 or C1) but unless various other criteria are met it would fail on the lack of RCD support.

Rewirable fuses are not good for most folk. The folk who visit here probably can manage, but if you have ever had to rewire the light circuits fuse in the dark then you realise how much of a pain it is. Not to mention the very real risk of incorrect wire being used and a further fault potentially starting a fire.

You can get plug-in MCBs for such boards but really you are throwing money away that would be best spent on a modern board with RCD, or preferable RCBO, protection. RCD boards are slightly cheaper, but a fault on one circuit can take out several, where as RCBOs allow faults to be limited in the trouble they cause.

See if anyone on this forum is close enough (just post town or post code, not any personal details).

What that lot said ^^^

One its own, a rewirable board is not automatically unsatisfactory (C2 or C1) but unless various other criteria are met it would fail on the lack of RCD support.

Rewirable fuses are not good for most folk. The folk who visit here probably can manage, but if you have ever had to rewire the light circuits fuse in the dark then you realise how much of a pain it is. Not to mention the very real risk of incorrect wire being used and a further fault potentially starting a fire.

You can get plug-in MCBs for such boards but really you are throwing money away that would be best spent on a modern board with RCD, or preferable RCBO, protection. RCD boards are slightly cheaper, but a fault on one circuit can take out several, where as RCBOs allow faults to be limited in the trouble they cause.
That's really helpful. If the electrician does not deem this unsatisfactory as part of the EICR then the plug in replacements sound like a god idea. I could have some spares in case there are any issues rather than dicking around with the wires. It's worth stating that in 8 years, these fuses have never needed replacing.

That's really helpful. If the electrician does not deem this unsatisfactory as part of the EICR then the plug in replacements sound like a god idea. I could have some spares in case there are any issues rather than dicking around with the wires. It's worth stating that in 8 years, these fuses have never needed replacing.
See what the EICR comes back with, you can post it here with personal details redacted (you name, location, who did the report) for comments if you want.

It used to be filament bulbs going 'pop' that commonly took out the 5A light fuses, but on inspection you should really check every one has the correct wire fitted. If folk follow the instructions and switch off before changing fuses they are OK, but plugging in a re-wired fuse to a live hard fault can end badly with burns to the hand.

The Wylex MCB replacements can be found in the likes of Screwfix, etc, but I suspect a new board is you best long-term option, not least as if anything needs adding later you can't add more to that board or get alternative fuse ratings.

The Best Practice Guide #4 available from here has a lot of useful material on EICR coding:

The fuses never needing replacing is immaterial to whether an installation is safe.

our main testing is about ensuring the installation will disconnect in a specific time under fault conditions.

The fact your breakers have never tripped is because a serious fault has not occurred. If a fault does occurs do you have the correct size cable correct size breaker and continuous earth path to create disconnection times possible.

it may be you have the wrone size breaker the wrong size cable and no earths in the proper5y at all. Everything would still functionally work. but in the event of a fault would it disconnect in a time deemed safe.

I definitely have earth wiring on my system as I replaced a damaged socket recently and remember wiring in the earth terminal on the socket.
The concern is more the main earth from the incoming supply, and not just if it is present or not, but if it is adequate for fault-clearing for the highest fuse, etc.

In an EICR the electrician doing it would normally check each circuit to see if the earth loop fault impedance is low enough that any fault will clear in under 0.4s. The maximum impedance depends on the choice of fuse or circuit breaker, there are various tables of Zs value available.

Reply to Will this old consumer unit pose any issues with an upcoming EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock