Discuss Will this old consumer unit pose any issues with an upcoming EICR? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think the OP is either missing the point or not understanding the difference between MCB s and RCD .
Plug in Mcbs are not going to make any difference to the codings for lack of RCD protection.
I agree that RCD is the most optimal solution but I thought that the plug-in MCB 's could provide a more maintainable and user friendly system in the short term.

I agree that RCD is the most optimal solution but I thought that the plug-in MCB 's could provide a more maintainable and user friendly system in the short term.
I see your point, and it's an interesting paradox, as 5 amp fuses for lighting tend to be more resilient than a B6 MCB if a bulb goes. However if a rewireable fuse does blow, then an MCB is obviously easy to reset.

It sounds as though you already understand that fuses/MCBs protect the wiring from overheating and catching fire in various circumstances, whereas RCDs save lives by turning off the supply in a fraction of a second if they detect any electricity going 'missing in action' due to a fault or flowing through a person.

It might help to consider that just as the current Wylex board dating from the 80's has served well for many years, a new board now will serve for many years and the cost per year of service will in fact be low.

User friendly or not, I thought the idea was to reduce the number of C2 or C3's on the EIRC?(improve safety) Adding plug in MCBs doesn't really deal with those. The codings are all regarding lack of RCD protection and the construction material or the consumer unit.
Also, is this a ground floor flat with a garden? Any sockets which could be used outdoors is a C2. As is (if you go by the guidance in the codebreakers book) not having RCD protection for cables buried in walls less then 50mm deep.

User friendly or not, I thought the idea was to reduce the number of C2 or C3's on the EIRC?(improve safety) Adding plug in MCBs doesn't really deal with those.
Also, is this a ground floor flat with a garden? Any sockets which could be used outdoors is a C2. As is (if you got by the guidance innthe codebreakers book) not having RCD protection for cables buried in walls less then 50mm deep.
There was something in the report about end user ease and I thought the plug-in breakers may help with that i.e. not having to replace a fuse wire if there is a fault. I appreciate that this doesn't play the role of a RCD.
This is not a ground floor flat.

There was something in the report about end user ease and I thought the plug-in breakers may help with that i.e. not having to replace a fuse wire if there is a fault. I appreciate that this doesn't play the role of a RCD.
This is not a ground floor flat.
Honestly, technology and safety devices have improved a great deal since that unit was fitted. Cough up the £500 and bring it up to modern standards.

As the landlord for a few rental properties... if it was my studio flat... I'd be replacing it with an all RCBO board... job done ! No worry, concerns, stress... no thoughts about what happens the next time there's an EICR, and I could sleep well at night...

As the landlord for a few rental properties... if it was my studio flat... I'd be replacing it with an all RCBO board... job done ! No worry, concerns, stress... no thoughts about what happens the next time there's an EICR, and I could sleep well at night...
This. It's only 6 circuits, a nice little "Fusebox" board, tidy job!

Despite agreeing with you that a complete new satisfactory EICR isn't stipulated in the legislation I'm finding that Letting Agents ask for it , they don't grasp this properly and it's easier to just do it I find, after all you already have all the test results.
Depressingly, that is probably true.

Still the OP has a satisfactory EICR before any new board, so that particular dumbassness is covered.

Update: checked with the electrician and it's a dual RCD board that he has priced me for. there will also be capacity for any additional circuits in the future.
Based on your advice, I am inclined to go for this.

Update: checked with the electrician and it's a dual RCD board that he has priced me for. there will also be capacity for any additional circuits in the future.
Based on your advice, I am inclined to go for this.
Nothing wrong with that plan at all.
Just my two cents - especially with only six circuits I'd ask for a quote for an "all-RCBO board" too. He'll know what you mean. The main benefit is any fault only trips the circuit concerned, so you'd just have a main switch and 6 breakers - in simple terms each breaker incorporates it's own RCD.
I wouldn't imagine it would cost a lot more. You'd still have room for more circuits in future.
I am bit biased - I do prefer fitting those especially for board changes!
But your original plan is fine too.

Reply to Will this old consumer unit pose any issues with an upcoming EICR? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net