Discuss Wylex fuse required in garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone

In my garage, I have an old Wylex Fusebox (see attached) containing a 5 and 15amp fuse. Both of them have now blown which means that they need replacing. From reading around the internet, I understand that I can purchase some Wylex MCB's. I've looked on Screwfix and there's a couple I can get. I'm a new homeowner so need a second opinion before I purchase anything.

https://www.screwflix..com/c/electrical-lighting/mcbs/cat7230022?brand=wylex

Can you point me in the direction of which specific ones I need? Many thanks

Wylex fuse required in garage 20190220_160133 - EletriciansForums.net

Hello everyone

In my garage, I have an old Wylex Fusebox (see attached) containing a 5 and 15amp fuse. Both of them have now blown which means that they need replacing. From reading around the internet, I understand that I can purchase some Wylex MCB's. I've looked on Screwfix and there's a couple I can get. I'm a new homeowner so need a second opinion before I purchase anything.

https://www.screwflix..com/c/electrical-lighting/mcbs/cat7230022?brand=wylex

Can you point me in the direction of which specific ones I need? Many thanks

View attachment 47940
Repair the ruptured fuse with appropriate fuse wire

You need to address the reason they have ruptured or you may have similar issues.
Overload maybe it used to happen, lost count of the number of times I was told to repair so and so fuse.

Last edited:
Overloaded both circuits, wrong sized fuse wire installed, etc etc

LOL. Yeah I get the fuse idea Pete :):)
I meant in this case.

Save yourself a few quid and have a look on eBay, plenty used ones at a good price, some brand new and still cheaper than screwfix.

Curious as to why both his fuses have blown. I think rather than just replace the wire (or even retrofit MCBs) I would be getting it checked out by a sparky.

Curious as to why both his fuses have blown. I think rather than just replace the wire (or even retrofit MCBs) I would be getting it checked out by a sparky.
simple.bulb blew out, taking the 5A fuse out. OP plugged in a 10kW floodlight to see to fix and blew the 15A.

Reply to Wylex fuse required in garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock