Search the forum,

Discuss 17th edition wrong answers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently studying for the 17th edition exam and brought a load of past papers from ebay.
I come across a few questions that I think the wrong has been given. I would like some help to clarified weather the answer is correct or not.
I will post any questions that I have an issue with and hopefully you guys will help give me the correct answer.

If you have the follow circuits how many live conductors are there

2 x 15A lighting circuits
2 x 32A ring circuits
1 cooker circuit
1 immersion circuit.

Now I always been told that the neutral is a live conductor so I worked it out as 12 is my answer correct?

where i come from a ring final is one circuit with 2 x l & 2 x n.

i have to disagree. Ok , i can see what you mean, but if you've got 10 socket oulets with the cables joined at each socket, the you could say you've got 22

Last edited:
I see where your coming from but I'm pretty sure that I can recall a teacher telling me that the a ring is classed as have 2 neutrals and two lives. don't ask me to tell you why

I think everyone is looking too far into the question, i had this one myself and it does seem a little odd however take it for what it is, when it says live i reckon they just mean LINE conductors

Some 16yr old on works experience at C&G probs wrote this one out

Dis-regarding what is the right or wrong answer to this stupid question, what is the point? what is the answer supposed to demonstrate? tiz ********.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you count them at the CU its got to be 16 but 8 "ends" are actually 4 so maybe its 12!

As others have said maybe its one of those classic unanswerable questions or more likely, like BS7671 open to interpretation!

LOL

but because its a continuous cable, albeit jointed at every socket outlet, its still 1 conductor for the L and 1 conductor for the N.

The only place all the live conductors are in one place is the CU so counting the number of LIVE conductors present there can only be one answer 16

Last edited by a moderator:
Cazmac 1 - please post the complete question to avoid all confusion

The reason Ring and Radial circuits are quoted is to test your understanding of the DIFFERENCE between the 2 so
If the Question is LIVE conductors answer 16
If question is LINE conductors answer is 8

Reply to 17th edition wrong answers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back