Discuss 17th edition wrong answers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently studying for the 17th edition exam and brought a load of past papers from ebay.
I come across a few questions that I think the wrong has been given. I would like some help to clarified weather the answer is correct or not.
I will post any questions that I have an issue with and hopefully you guys will help give me the correct answer.

If you have the follow circuits how many live conductors are there

2 x 15A lighting circuits
2 x 32A ring circuits
1 cooker circuit
1 immersion circuit.

Now I always been told that the neutral is a live conductor so I worked it out as 12 is my answer correct?

where i come from a ring final is one circuit with 2 x l & 2 x n.

i have to disagree. Ok , i can see what you mean, but if you've got 10 socket oulets with the cables joined at each socket, the you could say you've got 22

Last edited:
I see where your coming from but I'm pretty sure that I can recall a teacher telling me that the a ring is classed as have 2 neutrals and two lives. don't ask me to tell you why

I think everyone is looking too far into the question, i had this one myself and it does seem a little odd however take it for what it is, when it says live i reckon they just mean LINE conductors

Some 16yr old on works experience at C&G probs wrote this one out

Dis-regarding what is the right or wrong answer to this stupid question, what is the point? what is the answer supposed to demonstrate? tiz ********.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you count them at the CU its got to be 16 but 8 "ends" are actually 4 so maybe its 12!

As others have said maybe its one of those classic unanswerable questions or more likely, like BS7671 open to interpretation!

LOL

but because its a continuous cable, albeit jointed at every socket outlet, its still 1 conductor for the L and 1 conductor for the N.

The only place all the live conductors are in one place is the CU so counting the number of LIVE conductors present there can only be one answer 16

Cazmac 1 - please post the complete question to avoid all confusion

The reason Ring and Radial circuits are quoted is to test your understanding of the DIFFERENCE between the 2 so
If the Question is LIVE conductors answer 16
If question is LINE conductors answer is 8

Just read the question again and what it is asking is if the cables were installed in pvc trunking how many live cables would be in the trunking prior to entering the ccu. therefore has to be 16. the problem i had with the question was that the answer given to me in the answer section was wrong. I thought putting the question on the forum would be fairly straight forward.(boy was I wrong)
Next question coming up....

Last edited:
Some time ago, I did one of these OnLine 17th edition tests, in the NICEIC learning lounge.
I seem to remember that they had around 100 questions.
About 4 or 5 of them had incorrect answers.

It's a common C&G question, which assess the identification of conductors at the consumer unit, ergo it considers a ring final to have 4 live conductors. This is the textbook approach for these questions.
I personally would agree that a ring final consist of 2 live conductors returning.

It's a common C&G question, which assess the identification of conductors at the consumer unit, ergo it considers a ring final to have 4 live conductors. This is the textbook approach for these questions.
I personally would agree that a ring final consist of 2 live conductors returning.

But which are the outgoing and which are the returning?

If you took 1 pair you could say they are the outgoing and the others the returning but then again you could choose the original returning pair and say they are the outgoing and the original outgoing pair are now the returning pair?

This is a classic case of a 16th Edition question that has been re-branded 17th Edition without the answer being corrected (or the question for the original answer) to reflect the definition change in the regulations ie. Live v Line.

8 all day As far as ime concerned .. 2 live conductors for the lighting , 4 live for the ring mains 1 for the cooker and 1 for the immersion . 2+4+1+1 = 8 .. whats hard about that .. live conductors are brown .. you dont connect the neutrals to the breakers :willy_nilly:.

Sorry Greavo don't agree
Live conductors carry load current and includes the neutral
Protective conductors carry fault current
Check schedule of test results form in BS7671
Insulation test Live/Live or Live/Earth
For single phase circuits
Live/live is the LINE/Neutral test
Live/Earth is Line to earth and Neutral to earth
So neutral is by definition a LIVE conductor

In any case, quite a lot of "test papers" circulating around the internet, whether paid for or free of charge, have errors in them. I think it's a private joke amongst training companies and trainers to see the writhing that goes in in fora such as this one...

ps. That's not an invitation to the pedants on the use of fora versus forums. Fora is the correct term and any fule kno that.

12, a ring final is one circuit consisting of L&N.

But C&G are famous for asking unanswerable stupid questions.

16, a ring is made of feed and return conductors L&N, as every point on the ring has 2L and 2N. The current will follow two paths not just one as per a radial.

anyone thinks that the neutral is NOT a live conductor, try taking it out of the neutral bar with a load on the circiut, then get hold of it.

Reply to 17th edition wrong answers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net