Currently reading:
2 way switch

Discuss 2 way switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eco-tech

Allo,

Problem ere.

I just installed a new light fitting and 4 spots.

The thing is i just found out the old light was on a two way switch.

My problem is how do i connect the new spots on a seperate switch , as i only got a 3 core to my switch that is from the other 2 way switch ?

It would be best if you can post some pics of how you have wired it so we can see what you have actually done.

Chris

Well hmmmmmmmmm

On switch 1 the common is linked to common and l1 and l2 go to l1 and l2 on the 2nd.

On the 2nd switch the common from switch 1 comes into common and l1 and l2 go to the 1st

it works as a 2 way switch should but i need to add this other spot lighting to the 1 st switch so it will turn on without the main light etc.

With it being a 3 core, you're in luck. There will be a perm feed there. At the other switch (if its a single switch) there should be a twin and t'other end of said 3 core. now there are a couple of ways it could be in the back of this switch. Chances are there will be 1 core of 3core in Common, Another core AND perm feed (brown or red fom twin) in either l1 or l2 and then last core and switch wire (blue or black of twin) in other terminal. Now, what you need to do is see which core of 3core the perm feed is in with (this will be your perm feed at other end). Now in your new 2 gang switch, do first switch as it was in old 1 then put a link in between afore mentioned perm feed and the common of the second (downlight) switch, then simply pop your switch wire for downlights in the l1.

screw back, juice up and cross your fingers ;)

With it being a 3 core, you're in luck. There will be a perm feed there. At the other switch (if its a single switch) there should be a twin and t'other end of said 3 core. now there are a couple of ways it could be in the back of this switch. Chances are there will be 1 core of 3core in Common, Another core AND perm feed (brown or red fom twin) in either l1 or l2 and then last core and switch wire (blue or black of twin) in other terminal. Now, what you need to do is see which core of 3core the perm feed is in with (this will be your perm feed at other end). Now in your new 2 gang switch, do first switch as it was in old 1 then put a link in between afore mentioned perm feed and the common of the second (downlight) switch, then simply pop your switch wire for downlights in the l1.

screw back, juice up and cross your fingers ;)

wouldnt you require a neutral?

i want to know how to get a feed from my 2 way switch (as it stands its only a switched 2 way feed)

Can i wire it in a way to get a perm feed and still use the 1st switch as a 2 way ?

What is the switch currently feeding? because this is what you want to be looking at, the switch is just a switch.

EDIT: BTW didn't mean any offence thought you were a member of the public! Turns out you could teach me a thing or two (or three)

EDIT VOL II: just re read and I think I know what you mean. Without thinking about it too much it appears to me that youll need to run more cables. You'll have some kind of 'rose' effort going on in the existing fitting - switch, neutral and loop.You'l have to take a neutral and line (loop) to another arrangement, then take a switch wire from loop down to the (new, additional) switch, then back up to the 'switch' part of the arrangement (i.e. the bit attached to the line side of the appliance). Is that what you were after?

Last edited by a moderator:
No rose its just L/N/E

Just hope i have a perm feed to my switch.

Just to make sure (you do have two perm feeds to a 2 way switch ?)

ecotech, on a 2 way switch you have one perm feed, coming from the loop terminal on a normal ceiling rose, and you have a switch live which goes to the live terminal in the ceiling rose. You then have 2 or 3 (depending on installation method) live cores betwwen the switches.

http://www.diynot.com/wiki/_media/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting:2way_scheme_v2.jpg

most people use the 3 core method, but the other method can be useful if wirng in conduit ect, to save cable

hope this helps, (and i aint left anything out)

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Looking at some drawings just now..........

If if have a perm feed to switch 1 in L1 and then this feeds L1 on my other switch (2 gang) then this will be my perm feed ?

Or is this a switched feed ?

I also have a common to common and L2 TO L2

Do i link L1 on to the common on the 2 gang then my feed to the spots from L1 on the 2 gang switch ?

The light only has L/N/E (no rose)

I understand a 2 way switch but cant get my head around this one

Do i have two perm feed at each side of switch 1 and switch 2 ?

I have a cable run to my spots from Switch 2 but i cant pick up a perm feed to this.

Is any chance of picking this up from switch 2 ?

can you not just run a cable from the nearest ceiling rose. Then you have a loop and a neutral and earth. run the core from the loop down to your switch, the other core goes form the other end of the switch to your switch live at the light. Job done!

:)

Na i looked at that one but the building is a small terrace (old) and the only way of getting to a rose is under the bathroom floor (tiles) and also would have to pull up oak floor (not a good thing )

My plan now is to poss cut into the lighting at any point and run a perm feed from this to my switch !

Would this be ok ? (regs)

On switch 2 ...........

Can i link common and L1 or L2 up ?

Will this give me a perm feed ?

So as to what ever the switch one is in (on or off) i will have a live feed to my spots ?

Reply to 2 way switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock