Discuss 240v LED Strip Light on Mains switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping for some guidance, which would be much appreciated.

I currently have some Florescent Lights under my kitchen cabinets operated by a light switch and would like to replace with LED strip lighting.

I have purchased some 1 Metre 240V LED strip which is fitted with a 3A UK plug.
240v LED Strip Light on Mains switch 51iy4Gc8IvL._SL500_AC_SS350_ - EletriciansForums.net
Is it a simple as removing the plug from the LED strip and wiring the Live and Neutral into the Junction box of the existing lights?

Thank you in advance, much appreciated!
Aidan:)

Yes, providing the JB is accessible or MF if it isn't

What the old guys said above.

Obviously ensure the circuit is dead.

Make sure the cable from the junction box is secured also, either by cord grip or p clip etc.

It would also be advisable to ensure the protective device is the same rating as supplied by the manufacturer.

I was thinking about this as well.
I presume that the fuse in the plug will be 5A and the existing florescent lights would be connected to a 6A breaker. The cable and switch on the LED should be capable of taking 6A instead of 5A.
Yes, lots of presumptions there...

Hi all, thank you all so much for your responses.:praying:

The Junction box for the existing florescent lights are not attached to an FCU, only a 6A breaker at the consumer unit.

As the LED lights are factory fitted with a 3A fused plug, would this cause a problem if the plug was removed and connected directly to junction box?

Many thanks once again, i can only apologise for the ageism comments! :p

kindest regards gentlemen!
Aidan

Out of interest what do the manufacturer's instructions say?

Note to George - I know they don't have to be rigidly adhered to.

Hi DPG,
Unfortunately, they did not come with any instructions whatsoever. Purchased from amazon, most likely a cheap Chinese product...

TBH a 6 amp MCB would operate much quicker than a 3 amp fuse so I wouldn't loose any sleep if it wasn't fused down.

Thank you all for your input. Its very much appreciated. I have since connected the LED strip to the Junction box, all seems good - no issues!

Cheers :clapping::praying:
Aidan

Reply to 240v LED Strip Light on Mains switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock