Search the forum,

Discuss 25mm in-line crimps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chris Electron

Hello,

For the first time I need to use some 25mm uninsulated crimps. These connections are going into a junction box. My plan is to put heat shrink over them to insulate.

Is heat shrink ok to do this job? Also what current rating are these crimps? Anything else I should be looking out for? (tried to google info but can't find much)

Many thanks,

Chris.

I would imagine the crimps are suitable for the size cable you put in them, with that size cable it's likely you will be drawing a fair current so make sure you use good quality crimps and a good ratchet crumpet as you don't want a poor connection.

As for covering them, I would use 20mm 4:1 Heatshrinkonline tubing and probably put two layers on it.

As per UKsparks comments although we don't have a ratchet crumpet ;) We also have a very thick heatshrink we often use for this but you can put 2 x layers of normal heatshrink on each ferrule.

But is heatshrink actually tested and rated as an insulator? If so, surely it would need a VDE / dielectric style rating? Not sure.

Also, why would the OP need to use in-line crimps going into a JB? Lugs, maybe? Something not quite adding up here!

Yeah, I've no idea what he's trying to achieve but you can get 25mm din-mounted terminals or even line-tap connectors with insulated covers. Also if it's a single cable in and out maybe a resin joint.

Armoured sub main. Where consumer unit is going to be mounted I cannot terminate the armoured directly into the board. Therefore am mounting a large jb behind where board will mounted. Then running 25mm tails into board.
Was going to have a Henley block but client plans changed making it very hard to access. Therefore needed to crimp.

I am not a fan of crimping big cables like 25mm as I feel its just not the same as a continuous piece, 16mm I will crimp, but 25mm I just get a little uneasy about it.

Rockingit, you have a good point about the rating of the heat shrink.

Ive always found ratchet crimpers for this size are crap and are usually indent, i prefer the non ratchet ones that are hexagonal. less parts to go wrong on them and feel sturdier.

So why cut the cores and extend them? Heat shrink the cores and take them to where needed. Remember the outer sheath of tails is not classed as insulation.

I can’t see any sense in putting through crimps where they’re not needed.

I am not a fan of crimping big cables like 25mm as I feel its just not the same as a continuous piece, 16mm I will crimp, but 25mm I just get a little uneasy about it.

Rockingit, you have a good point about the rating of the heat shrink.

God help anyone that needs to through crimp anything from 25mm to say 400/600mm then...lol!!

Crimp ferrules are rated the same CCC or higher, than the conductor they are designed/manufactured to accommodate... I've seen conductors stretch, way before a crimped connection will fail...

All LV insulation heat shrink tubing i've ever come across has had minimum XLPE insulation rating 600/1000V. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as PVC heat shrink. Even the heatshrink cable sheathing with internal adhesive is of XLPE in construction...

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as PVC heat shrink. Even the heatshrink cable sheathing with internal adhesive is of XLPE in construction...

I suspect that the most widely used heatshrink type is polyolefin.

However, pvc is available:
PVC Heat Shrink Tubing from Allied Wire and Cable Distributor of Heat Shrinkable Tubing, Sleeving

As are many other materials:
Heat Shrink Tubing (M23053) from Allied Wire & Cable | Distributor of Tubing, Sleeving & Spiral Wrap

Do you have a link to XLPE heatshrink (not just heatshrink for use with XLPE cables)?

Reply to 25mm in-line crimps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock