Currently reading:
Advice on going self employed as a new electrician

Discuss Advice on going self employed as a new electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Muzza

Hi guys I'm new to this, I was told this is the best place to get advice.
im currently studying as a domestic electrician with ATL, ive got about 4/5 months left before I get my part p full scope and 17th edition. and ive done my research and realised that no electrician/firm will hire me as i don't have much experience, so I have no choice but to work for myself only doing small jobs at first like lights and sockets etc.. until I get more confidence and experience. now this is where I need the advice, is there anything i need to do before I can do this?? and how can I get my JIB gold card if working for myself??

any help is much appreciated thanks

I advise all my customers many being the poor general public to ask to see a gold JIB card electrician or approved grading.
They are paying and trusting that a skilled professional is working in there home and on an electrical installation that they and there family will be using on a daily basis.
Its not fool proof I agree, but how else can people even attempt to judge the experience or knowledge of a stranger that they intend to pay and trust.
NICEIC, NAPPIT, ELECSIA, ect are scheme providers offering part P sign off's for domestic work but the only bloke these scheme providers see is there nominated qualified supervisors on an annual basis.
This may or may not be the person doing the work on somebodies home and that's why such schemes are flawed.
I have nothing against the OP and I'm sorry if this sounds un-helpful but the electrical market especially domestic is being flooded with under experienced electrical rookies, who want to get on the band wagon and the only people likely to suffer are the general public or a member of there family.
Forget the sticker on the side of there van.
Ask to see a JIB gold card and check its there photo and name.
At least its a step in the right direction.

Hmm sorry head ache coming I will try to be as helpful as I can, my advice is to get as much hands on training as possible as an electrical mate,improver etc.
You are going to find it difficult to get this especially if your limiting yourself to the domestic installer market as no one wants to train you up for you to compete with them for work in the future.
I would recommend getting a jib card as most construction sites in England and Wales require them. This involves a health and safety test and your documents sent to jib for review I think all in its about eighty quid.
If in the future you want to go into the domestic side your own buissenes you need public liability a multifunction tester 17th edition qualification yearly tested by elecsa niceic napit etc all in about a grand then 400 each year and calibration of test equipment every three years.
You don't need to be registered with elecsa niceic as stated in another post you can pay your local labc to test all required work for you but as well as being very very costly explaining to your customers that you can't test isn't very proffetional

If you have, use and keep records of using a check box / cal card

Apparently it depends on the manufacturer's stated re-calibration interval for the check box or card. If it's only a year, or unstated, you only win if you have multiple items of test gear to be checked against the calibrated check box. (From my last Elecsa assessor.)

I've been on the tools for 13 years and qualified in 2012. I have to agree with the above posts that you will stumble across all sorts of challenges and learning curves but that's just business as a whole. you might find it better to work for a firm who will give you a company vehicle and be assured that there is a box of ceiling roses under the stairs when you need them.

all the qualifications I get at the end of my ATL course are - C&G 2357 (NVQ 3), C&G 2377 (inspection n testing), 17th edition and full scope part p. as ive said im only taking baby steps atm cause I cant afford to pack in my day job, but I want to see a return on some of the money ive invested in the course this year. and for the past year ive been looking for work as a mate but nothing available in my area, ive even tried to work voluntary but still no luck.

Just looking at the time scale here for you to complete everything listed above. I'm just wondering how you think you'll manage completing C&G 2357 that includes the NVQ 3 qualification, in from what i can make of it around a year, which is basically being made up primarily of a distance learning nature, with so-called practical workshop slots being dotted in here and there.

Next question, how are you going to manage completing the NVQ-3 unless you are working for an electrical contractor that covers a wide range of installation work??

Not even considering the PAT testing and 17th ed Qualifications, any fool and his dog can pass those things, and as for the Part P, well i suppose it's always worth smile when you hear people genuinely come out with, ....i'm Part P qualified!! lol!!

Not much making a lot of sense here, but it seems you're already looking at making a return and be willing going into people's homes whether you get any experience work or not. ...And that's always Worrying!!

Reply to Advice on going self employed as a new electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock