Discuss Advice on going self employed as a new electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Muzza

Hi guys I'm new to this, I was told this is the best place to get advice.
im currently studying as a domestic electrician with ATL, ive got about 4/5 months left before I get my part p full scope and 17th edition. and ive done my research and realised that no electrician/firm will hire me as i don't have much experience, so I have no choice but to work for myself only doing small jobs at first like lights and sockets etc.. until I get more confidence and experience. now this is where I need the advice, is there anything i need to do before I can do this?? and how can I get my JIB gold card if working for myself??

any help is much appreciated thanks

You'll have to contact the JIB about what they want for the Gold card (90% sure they make it up as they go along) but I think it's the NVQ, site visits and evidence of the work you've done (which has to includes bits of about everything)

You might get some work off some larger firms as an electrical labourer

Hi muzza,i hope i can post in time,to prevent the stool-storm that will certainly be heading this way....Please have a search first,on this site,regarding questions of this nature.
You may then be able to re-phrase your post,and have a better chance of a constructive response. Regards peg :icon12:

Hi guys I'm new to this, I was told this is the best place to get advice.
im currently studying as a domestic electrician with ATL, ive got about 4/5 months left before I get my part p full scope and 17th edition. and ive done my research and realised that no electrician/firm will hire me as i don't have much experience, so I have no choice but to work for myself only doing small jobs at first like lights and sockets etc.. until I get more confidence and experience. now this is where I need the advice, is there anything i need to do before I can do this?? and how can I get my JIB gold card if working for myself??

any help is much appreciated thanks
I don't think you will have any problems getting a basic gold card, the problem you will probably encounter is competance due to lack of training, I recommend you try to find a job sub contracting as a mate for a couple of years and then start thinking about carrying out work to BS7671 alone, good luck.

go work as a mate, get some experience before you go out on your own.
there is plenty of practical things that they do not teach in the college.

thanks for all the help guys. and no you don't mate,you pretty much get all your practical at the centre 5 weeks of it.

As others have said, don't get fooled into going self employed straight away,don't run before you walk.
Start contacting firms and sole traders and get a few years on site experience under you belt, you just have to be prepared to work hard, study and get some proper tuition from an experienced electrician, it will make you a better electrician in the long run.

well that's what I originally wanted to do but its next to impossible trying to become a mate in my area spent the past 8 months applying for jobs and still having no luck. and the electricians who do get back to me say I need more experience but I cant get experience unless I become a mate its like around about

Two years as a mate one as a improver and then go for the 2394/5 and then think again in the mean time do some foreigners at least you have someone at work to call if it goes ---- up and it will.Its easy when it new and done right in the first place I get phone calls all the time from good sparks ten years plus and am no stranger from getting stuck. You learn every day at this game and no one knows it all, so take your time and good luck.

Reply to Advice on going self employed as a new electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net