Currently reading:
AM2 starting tomorrow

Discuss AM2 starting tomorrow in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

philaxgt500

hey all,
So i've got my am2 tomorrow and feeling a little ill with worry right now, I'm rubbish at fault finding so can someone give me some advice please. like...
1. what tester to use for a short and what could cause it,
2..what reading i would expect from a short?
and the same question with an open circuit and again with a crossed circuit,
I hope some one can make sense out of this.
cheers phil

also if anyone has any question about the am2 let me know as i have a pre am2 book here with me ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Phil

Im in the same boat as you :(

Due to book my AM2 shortly but very worried about pretty much everything including fault finding lol

What information is in the booklet as it may be handy for me?

Thanks

i know its such a horrible feeling right now, and what makes it worse is if i fail a section i have to pay for a retest myself (at the moment the college has paid for the test)

so in the booklet there is
safe isloation procedures....
steel wired armoured walk through with earthing nut a the lockring (it has grub screws in it to hold the earthing cable on)

how to wire the two way and intermediate switch with the wago connections

how to make off sy cable in to the motor circuit

how to do data cables

f.p 200 cable

boiler system with 2 channel timer, room therostat, boiler, central heating pump, hot water valve, centrol heating valve solar pump and solar controller

cable segregation

bonding

electrical testing and inspection

and a little bit on faultfinding

Are you allowed to take the booklet into the AM2 test and refer to it?

Also can you take your own notes and information in with you?

Thanks

no

i did the old style am2 few months ago

dont worry about the fualt finding its easy all i had was a continuity tester fualts are easy i managed find all the fualts with plenty of time to spare

remember
open circuit
cross connection (connected wrong)
short circuit

some are very easy to spot like no speed controller in the fan controls or wrong fuse size

Are you allowed to take the booklet into the AM2 test and refer to it?

Also can you take your own notes and information in with you?

Thanks

No, but your aloud to take as many smoke breaks as you like, ( i don't even smoke)
you can't take your own notes, but you have got paper in there so if you just remember it and as soon as you get in there just write it all down quick.

To be honest i done my wiring today as it was must better then i thought, Went so much easier then i had expected,
I've got fault finding along with the 1hr multiple guess tomorrow. I've got to get 70% in the multiple guess which has got question on absolutely everything even part p.

Central heating system was easy, its pretty much dot to dot. i'm not joking either.
Ii would say easier as you only have to 2nd fix, but saying that i never really looked at what was involved in the old am2

i struggled on fault finding today, but the on-line exam wasn't as bad as i had expected.

I've only got testing to do tomorrow then its all done, just have to wait on my result

evening all,

i've got my testing tomorrow and i've got to use the old style testers,
robin-electronics-kmp-4120dl-digita.jpg

which i have been told are better but i have never used them.
Does anyone know anywhere on-line that explains how to carry a full test with these set of testers.
Also how do i test the rcd with one??
cheers phil

Hi

I use on of these testers at work :)

You can't do an RCD test with this one, but you can get the Zs reading. However, some of those Robin testers will trip the RCD when doing a Zs reading. They should provide you with an RCD tester so you can measure the disconnection times.

Hi

I use on of these testers at work :)

You can't do an RCD test with this one, but you can get the Zs reading. However, some of those Robin testers will trip the RCD when doing a Zs reading. They should provide you with an RCD tester so you can measure the disconnection times.

Thanks sounds good, to do the zs reading do i just take out the earthing conductor and test between the live and neutral incomming? and it is the same reading for pfc??

To test the Ze - Main switch OFF, Disconnect the main earthing conductor and test between the main earthing conductor, incoming neutral and incoming phase. Record reading.

There are two parts to Test PFC :

1: Place the neutral and earth lead onto the Neutral and the phase lead onto phase. (PSSC)

2. Neutral lead on neutral, phase lead on phase and earth lead on earth (with main earth reconnected) (PEFC)

Record highest reading from the 2 (PFC)

Make sure you change the dial to PFC on tester.

Reply to AM2 starting tomorrow in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock