Discuss Switched Neutral Fault Finding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DyFamCont

Trainee
Reaction score
Evening all,

I had a quick Friday afternoon domestic job that has turned into a PITA and I'd appreciate your help.

While adding some new lights to a circuit, I found that the switch where I was taking the additional line from was actually switching the neutral. After much swearing I checked the polarity at the ceiling rose and got some odd results from the ceiling rose as per the table below. The part that's confusing me is why N-E is at 230v with the switch open.

Being a domestic job, I can't follow the cables properly without wrecking the place but have done continuity to find out what each goes to. The camera in the ceiling revealed nothing of significance. I'm assuming there's a junction box somewhere in the middle where someone has messed it up. The rest of the lights in the circuit have the correct polarity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I said I'd go back tomorrow.

Picture2.png

sure im not going mad but them readings are as they would be if the neutral is switched, so looks like you need to extend the feed so the line an be switched, and put a blank plate on the existing switch !

Reply to Switched Neutral Fault Finding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, have an old bathroom fan. Which has two wires the black and red (line and neutral). The fan has no isolator switch and was powered when the...
Replies
Views
I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views
I need your help please once again in tracing a fault. Am DIY but not clueless. Converting former kitchen into 2 rooms: bathroom and laundry. The...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock