Search the forum,

Discuss Certificate to check earth arrangements.. ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Surely MWC is inappropriate as you haven't designed or installed owt.

There's nothing on the MWC itself that says that the 'works' have to be a modification. I am conscious however of BS7671 631.3: Where minor electrical *installation* work does not include the provision of a new circuit, a MWC...may be provided for each circuit *altered or extended*.... However, with the bit of my brain that nearly ended up as a lawyer engaged, I note it doesn't say that's the *only* thing you can ever use an MWC for. :)

That's my point. I can't believe that many clients will be phoning up saying "Yeah my means of earthing is the water pipe so I need your help". Isn't it the case that if you visually check and the system is TNS, TNCS, or TT via pukka earth rod, it's very difficult to see how this move to plastic pipes can affect anything?

Again that's my point, if means of earthing comes up the cable a la TNS or TNCS then it's the DNO's responsibility/problem, right?

The OP is talking about a warning circular that the water company is distributing in areas where they are replacing existin metal water pipes for plastic. How many non electrical home owners would have a clue what to look for as far as earthing arrangement are concerned. Hell, there are plenty of threads on this forum where supposidly competent persons can't distingquish between TN-S and TNC-S/PME at the service head, so what chance does Mr Office worker, Salesman, etc stand of identifying an earthing system??

The OP is talking about a warning circular that the water company is distributing in areas where they are replacing existin metal water pipes for plastic. How many non electrical home owners would have a clue what to look for as far as earthing arrangement are concerned.

The point I was suggesting was that the *competent person* when visiting can check and just from seeing that it is TNS or TNCS be confident that the metal->plastic pipe changes a) should have no effect on the means of earthing of the property and b) be the DNO's responsibility even if somehow perversely they did. Or if it is TT to a pukka earth rod, still be confident that changes to the earthing of the property should be negligible. And then test Ze at origin to confirm. Yes?

Just a thought here....

I'm sure one of you clever buggers with the right program can knock up a decent enough looking Earthing and Bonding certificate with appropriate statements and showing tests conducted and the values obtained. It's no good just conducting a Ze test, it'll need to show Ze, Zs (Zdb), and main Bonding tests, where applicable.

It could then be put in the Sticky's for anyone to use as and when needed....
Just for you!! or anyone else who wants a fabricated piece of paper!

View attachment Earthing Inspection Certificate.pdf

Heard from dno workers this is a problem they do come across. Personally I'd use a mwc and write what I've done and tested I really can't see the problem it's conveying the info it needs to, pages and pages of a eicr with na everywhere seems point less.

Good to see a utility company is taking some steps to protect its customers from the problems that can arise from their works.

I think the OP is talking about the very old properties that at that time, were often using the main water pipe as the installation earth. And yes they DO still exist, although agueably diminishing rapidly as those older properties are being rewired etc....

An installations earthing point is ''Only'' the DNO's responsibility, IF and ony if an earthing provision was origionally provided by the DNO or earlier Regional electricity boards, otherwise it's the property owners responsibility!!
Agree with you mate

Last time I came across this was with a worried lady in her 80's. I went and tested the Ze before the water board came along and did the same after - the result was the same as it was a TNS.

I didn't charge, nor give any paperwork.

Last time I came across this was with a worried lady in her 80's. I went and tested the Ze before the water board came along and did the same after - the result was the same as it was a TNS.

your contact details are being forwarded to help the aged. :21:

Just for you!! or anyone else who wants a fabricated piece of paper!

View attachment 23545

Not for me, i don't need one but handy for others if and when they may need one. I basically fabricate ALL test report sheets and final test certificates for my projects. But nowadays, i basically just use the templates from other project i've worked on and just tweak them as required....

But you're fabricated earthing inspection certificate should be more than ample to fulfill/cover the OP's above situation....

Not for me, i don't need one but handy for others if and when they may need one. I basically fabricate ALL test report sheets and final test certificates for my projects. But nowadays, i basically just use the templates from other project i've worked on and just tweak them as required....

But you're fabricated earthing inspection certificate should be more than ample to fulfill/cover the OP's above situation....

If I was rotten I could read that several ways E54.

With test results I’d just check up on a sample out of a batch. Some used to tickle me, flagged up as “low IR”. A cable X00’s of metres long and they’ve just dabbed the test button for a couple of seconds. Even funnier was the idiot that removed the test leads before the cable discharged, everyone on site must have heard him squeal when he touched the cable.
All the records were on paper then, I was drowning in the stuff.

Important stuff was checked through.

Building up trust for when you tell her she needs a rewire, surge arrest and lightning protection. Like it. :)

Im unsure if its actually needed or not.. filling 8 pages for a earth loop test seems a bit off putting. Basically what Ive thought of doing is a ze test to see if the installation relies on the water pipes for its earth and if changing the pipe is going to effect their current arrangement, check bonding and advice on any probs and recommend a full eicr.. would this be enough though
Issue just the EICR(only 2 pages) without the usual schedules of inspection and test results.
Detail the extent covered in section D so there is no confusion

Building up trust for when you tell her she needs a rewire, surge arrest and lightning protection. Like it. :)

Maybe, maybe not BUT when you do such a task when you driving past the end of the road, asking for my minimum charge seems more than a little OTT.

Maybe, maybe not BUT when you do such a task when you driving past the end of the road, asking for my minimum charge seems more than a little OTT.

I don't buy this poor little old lady argument as well. Remember Eva Braun would have ended up as a little old lady if she'd lasted that long. :)

Reply to Certificate to check earth arrangements.. ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock