Discuss Commericial Jobs, Do i need to test? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markthespark

Hi ive been asked by a mate of a mate to do the electrical work in this office and workshop. Things like add extra sockets, change lights possibly some 3 phase work etc

When i do these jobs do i need to get it tested? Im not NICEIC and dont have test meters

I now just do domestic and know how it works for domestic installations but i served my time with a commercial firm and i cant remember us ever testing minor jobs like the ones ive mentioned above. Even some new installations i cant remember testing.

I am ok just doing the jobs and not testing it?

Also do i need to make sure the sockets are on an RCD?

Or even if i did test them do i need to be a member of the NICEIC, NAPIT etc

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ive been asked by a mate of a mate to do the electrical work in this office and workshop. Things like add extra sockets, change lights possibly some 3 phase work etc

When i do these jobs do i need to get it tested? Im not NICEIC and dont have test meters

I now just do domestic and know how it works for domestic installations but i served my time with a commercial firm and i cant remember us ever testing minor jobs like the ones ive mentioned above. Even some new installations i cant remember testing.

Cheers

How do you test your domestic work??:eek:

Cheers

Mark

the requirement for testing and certification is exactly the same for commercial industrial or domestic

this is outside Part P and you dont need to be a member of any organisation to test and issue appropriate certification

But you do need to test!!!!

This is a requirement of BS7671, and under the 17th edition, the book specifially states that certificates must be issued for ALL electrical work

best you start investing in a test meter!!!:eek:

i thort you needed to a member of a organisation to cercificate. what is the point of them then?

well Mike many have asked the same question!!!

the only requirement to test and inspect is COMPETENCE

you dont need 2391, to be a memeber of NICEIC, NAPIT or anyone else

NICEIC even sell certificates for use by non-members!!!

I am not a member of any organisation, but i still do PIR's and just issue generic certificates

again i agree with shakey all work needs inspecting& testing
many a time i've said i wont energise the installation till its tested

Have only recently joined the forum so am catching up on all the threads. Some very experienced sparks out there but I could play Devil's Advocate now and refer to Shakey's reply and say what is a competant person? Realistically this is another wonderful side to our industry where the regulations are not statutory (yet) and unfortunately interpretation is only confirmed when someone ends up in a law court.

tony , you may have seen some previous posts reguarding competence /qualification/experience its been well debated and its good to read new views on the subject:D:D:D

without a doubt all electrical work does need to be tested and a cert issued, it will usually state in the contract that it should be by nic eic but if its for your mate then its up to him if your not. competance usually means trained and hold relevant qualifications for the job.

tony.towa if i get a mo, i'll find the threads for ya, because this is a question which goes on and on and shakey finishes it ;) lol,

like i sed, i'll try finding the decent ones and post em up, or you could try searchin the forum ?

Would you test a circuit and issue a certificate if you were replacing something on that circuit like for like, ie socket, light switch, breaker etc etc??

I would test and issue a minor works certificate for all small jobs. How do you know there was not a fault on the circuit you have just been working on. It's your responsibilty to make sure you leave it safe. Don't forget to check the bonding etc before you start any work

And on domestic work?

(If so just curious how you "get round it").

I dont 'get round' anything

I do PIR's on domestic properties and issue a generic PIR, which i am perfectly entitled to do

I do domestic installations and issue a generic EIC, and use my LABC for notifiable work

I do industrial installations and issue a generic EIC

what am i getting around:confused::confused::confused:

I dont 'get round' anything

I do PIR's on domestic properties and issue a generic PIR, which i am perfectly entitled to do

I do domestic installations and issue a generic EIC, and use my LABC for notifiable work

I do industrial installations and issue a generic EIC

what am i getting around:confused::confused::confused:

Fine. So what you are saying is that to do PIR´s in a domestic situation there is no requirement to be Part P registered? (I didn´t realise this - sorry - all I´m trying to do here is establish what you mean).

Fine. So what you are saying is that to do PIR´s in a domestic situation there is no requirement to be Part P registered? (I didn´t realise this - sorry - all I´m trying to do here is establish what you mean).

Dixon ol' chap, there is no requirement to be Part P registered to do ANYTHING in a domestic property;)

and anyway, PIR's do not come under the Part P requirements, as you are not installing anything;)

Well I realise if you notify LABC then you do not need to be Part P registered - didn´t realise you could do PIR´s without notifying though.

Interesting.

Well I realise if you notify LABC then you do not need to be Part P registered - didn´t realise you could do PIR´s without notifying though.

Interesting.

yep, it is interesting....but think about it, electrical installation work in domestic dwellings is classed as 'building work', which is how it comes under the building regs in the form of Part P

but you are not installing anything

i did a PIR a while back

I KNOW the guy had done a rewire himself

I am fairly certain he did not use building control

I KNOW he did not do an EIC for the work

Did I care? not a jot. He commisioned me to do a PIR and thats what I did, I compiled a report on the condition of the existing installation, its nothing to do with me what was dne to get it into that condition

Part P didnt apply to me (but i made sure I ticked the box that said 'evidence of alteration/extension etc):p

yep, it is interesting....but think about it, electrical installation work in domestic dwellings is classed as 'building work', which is how it comes under the building regs in the form of Part P

but you are not installing anything

i did a PIR a while back

I KNOW the guy had done a rewire himself

I am fairly certain he did not use building control

I KNOW he did not do an EIC for the work

Did I care? not a jot. He commisioned me to do a PIR and thats what I did, I compiled a report on the condition of the existing installation, its nothing to do with me what was dne to get it into that condition

Part P didnt apply to me (but i made sure I ticked the box that said 'evidence of alteration/extension etc):p

You mean you didn´t tick it (No DEIC) ? (í.e no doc evidence)

Reply to Commericial Jobs, Do i need to test? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock