Currently reading:
connection

Discuss connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuaneMHunt1976

I put a ring in my sheds, had to do it in stages as the washing machine was on it. So have a few connection blocks at stages (didn't face leaving live wires my dad is one to touch it to ask should it be there)
One complete on my test was too many connections block (32A wago type)

Is there a rule on this

This was a Question just about using CONNECTION BLOCKS
My View is to stick to the subject in Question

How MANY Connection blocks are you alowed to use on a RING FINAL CIRCUIT
That was ALL I was asking.

----------------
So I can put a the Cable Coming from the Sub main direct in to one FCU, and then Go to the Socket, and then Back out to the 2nd FCU and then Back around to the other 4 Sockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
My QUESTION is ONLY

How many Connectors (Make In-Line Rated 32A) can you use on a RING?

I used these Connectors, so that i could add two FCU in to the RING.
So were it went in to a Socket and came out, the out part was taken out.
Replaced with a 2.5/2.5/1.5 to a FCU that then went on to another FCU, again in 2.5/2.5/1.5
That then went back to the Socket in 2.5/2.5/1.5 and attached back up to the other side of the RING
using Connection blocks (In-line, Rated at 32A)

As there was a Live/Neutral/CPC there was 3 Connectors.

ASSESSOR
Didnt say any thing to my face about the Connectors, just asked about one i put in the Sub Main (cut a lighting Live too short and had to join it up for the light switch)

On Paper
"Excess connections used in ring circuit"

The highlighted point is where you may have gone wrong, check App 15 ... generally you only put 1 spur'd leg off a ring per socket point on the ring, so the leg between 2 ring sockets shouldn't have more than one spur on it be it a socket or a FCU feeding a number of smaller loads, spuring out of the back of a socket or the CU are included in this.

When you find yourself in position where you are having to do multiple spurs then you really need to consider making the ring larger ..... Hence I said check app' 15 as it has a clear diagram of options for spuring off rings.

Regardless how little time or money you have you still should work to good design and practice and leave excuses behind you, if you cannot afford or have the time to do the job to good standards then only one option exists - don't do it!

I read that as he had extended the ring to insert 2x FCU, with connectors at the back of the first socket?

This was a Question just about using CONNECTION BLOCKS

The use of connector blocks isn't an issue and you stated the assessor never mentioned it was, I made that clear in an earlier post - you are confused to why you assessor has pulled the numerous spurs and you have assumed its the use of the connectors so I'll reiterate..

If the connectors are both rated and in a suitable enclosure then they are fine to use...

Judging from your assessors write up it is down to what I highlighted in my previous post and hopefully you didn't lay the same line of excuses to your assessor as you did in you thread here... excuses are never acceptable for poor design and wouldn't go down well with any assessor judging your work.

Don't get me wrong here i'm not having a go - you asked a direct question and I gave the answer and we all do learn somewhere, just read the replies, see where you went wrong for the assessor to pull the work, learn from it and move on.

Last edited:
I read that as he had extended the ring to insert 2x FCU, with connectors at the back of the first socket?

The previous 2 lines to your hi-lighted quote explains he removed the outgoing leg of a socket then then wired a new wire out to a spur then on to another spur then reconnecting to the ring... I assume he used the connector to joint to the ring at 2 points between these 2 sockects.

" EXCESS CONNECTIONS USED IN RING CIRCUIT"

is the WORDS used
Excess, meaning too many
Connections, meaning joins between one place to another
Used, being used ie in play
In, the subject
Ring, a Loop that joins back on itself
Circuit, normally used in electrical items ie lots of paths to do a action for current to travel along.

HISTORY
THE SOCKET WAS PLACED IN,
THE TUMBLE DRYING SMASHED UP TO SOCKET (ALSO COULDNT TURN OFF AS NO ROOM)
THE SOCKET WAS MOVED UP
THE CABLES COULD NOT REACH
ADDED FCU TO SINGLE SOCKETS BEHIND WHITE GOODS

I did not wish to post on this subject because i am having a HARD TIME with so many QUESTIONS when i just ask about Connection blocks is all i wanted to know, But people went off on different angles asking other questions. I can understand this from a Dyslexic Point of view, very easy to go off a Subject, but i cant understand it from others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez you've had answers about the number of connections in a circuit not being limited as such by regs. See the posts above. Judging by your attitude in this last post (#36) I can't see you getting much further help to be honest. Daz

Do you want to know what i POSTED, was the WORDS used by the ASSESSOR, and My UNDERSTANDING of EACH WORD.
Ie if i have READ a WORD in the WRONG MEANING someone can SAY.. IT WASNT A GO AT ANY ONE

IT was ME TRYING TO SHOW HOW I READ IT... to be HONEST you Miss READ ME!
I know my WEAKNESS of READING things WRONG

Duane ... Calm down a touch, no need to start shouting in capitals.. its becoming clear that your dyslexia is a little bit worse than most appreciate and please remember that when answering, also to get to where you are is a massive achievment considering the big barriers you are having to cope with so my respect there.

The question about the connectors has been answered and hopefully to your satisfaction although the wording of your original post could only ever lead to a volley of questions of which we now understand why it was worded such..

I suggest you PM a Mod' and request the thread closed as it is not really serving any purpose anymore other than to frustrate yourself.

Please understand no-one is trying to get at you and its more the case that we can't appreciate the difficulties dyslexia causes + members jumping into the thread without themselves knowing your condition and just answering based on the last few posts.

I suggest when creating a thread in future you have a little header expressing your condition and that it may lead to muddled posts and you would appreciate a polite post when its evident you have done this as oppose to the usual diving in of some members.... we would like to help wherever possible but I think a little consideration from our side about your dyslexia as well as your side about our lack of true understanding of the condition will be needed... Cheers :teeth_smile:

Last edited:
I think Darkwood has put it well. I apologise if my comment above offended - I appreciate how difficult it must be having dyslexia. Daz

Well, this is a bit of a mixed up thread to say the least. Thread has been reported so I'm closing it. Hope that the OP will post up the same question in a better format without shouting lol. I'll help him via PM, I also have a very very mild form of Dyslexia and can understand the frustration that he has been through on his thread.

ps. I really like the positive comments from a range of members regarding the OP's medical condition once it was announce.

Reply to connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock