Discuss Consumer Unused Spare ways in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am fitting a new dual CU that comes with 10MCBs. For those that are unused is it acceptable to just leave them installed but switched off and identified as unused. Or should they be removed and replaced with blanks?

I think that all unused MCB's should be removed and replaced by blanks. Others may disagree.

Saw one recently - 10 way board, 10 MCB's, only 4 in use. Talk about confusing the old couple.

dont remove them leave them fitted as may come a day you need the extra ways ,most councils now ask for a spare 40 amp to be fitted for future electric shower fitting,so no need to remove

i keep them installed, as the customers usually like the idea that they have got spare breakers.
and for my sins i keep them switched on, customers usualy only need to access the board to re-set a trip, if spare breakers are down aswell can confuse the clueless.

im sure that iff they are installed correctly then theres no issues, may be wrong

I'd remove them and install blanks personaly.....unless anyone ask's for them to be left as spare.

It is handy to go to a board with alot of spare MCB's in place when adding extra circuits BUT on the flip side if at a later date someone needs an extra circuit fitted there's a good chance i have a spare MCB in the van to use (of the right make of course) which i can charge for....if MCB is already there can charge for it (conscience wont let me)

i keep them installed, as the customers usually like the idea that they have got spare breakers.
and for my sins i keep them switched on, customers usualy only need to access the board to re-set a trip, if spare breakers are down aswell can confuse the clueless.

im sure that iff they are installed correctly then theres no issues, may be wrong

Yes, I was thinking this too.

i leave them in, simply because it's all too easy for those stupid clip in blanks to fall out and compromise the IP rating, leaving a hole just right for a child's fingers to poke in and touch the live busbar.

Surely if your fitting a new board adjacent to it will be a circuit identification chart as required by the regulation 514.9.1 in the big green book ? So users of the installation are aware of points of utilization etc
ATB J

i leave them in, simply because it's all too easy for those stupid clip in blanks to fall out and compromise the IP rating, leaving a hole just right for a child's fingers to poke in and touch the live busbar.

Tel the only place for clip in blanks is the bin they should be banned I fit din mounted always they cant fall out.
J

Tel the only place for clip in blanks is the bin they should be banned I fit din mounted always they cant fall out.
J
i totally agree, but most CUs come with the clip in ones or none at all. as malc. says, if the customer has paid for a fully loaded board then he gets a fully loaded board.

I always remove unused MCB's and fit blanks, as I mainly use hager CU's I have bags full of the DIN mounted blanks, they fit on just like a MCB and won't fall off.

Surely if your fitting a new board adjacent to it will be a circuit identification chart as required by the regulation 514.9.1 in the big green book ? So users of the installation are aware of points of utilization etc
ATB J

yep i put these with all my domestic CCU changes, as customers cant read the labeled circuits, and scam assesors always pull me up on it if i forget.:tounge_smile:

ATB J

Lucky to find a new CU labelled round here let alone a circuit chart

Yep tel I would leave unused breakers in rather than clip in blanks,they give you that stupid plastic bus bar cover to protect your pinkys when the board cover is off then provide a nice finger sized hole when the blanks fall out I would like to see the return of insulated bus bars so you just nip off the plastic where it goes in to the breaker
J

ATB J

Yes of course. Not really sure what this has got to do with the thread though.

Yes of course. Not really sure what this has got to do with the thread though.

Sorry hadn't realised you were policing the forum.
My comment was in reference to how the thread develops and the need for labelling and charts, as the OP mentioned 'Identifying' unused circuits.
Next time I want to post something I will run it by you first ..:32:

J

Reply to Consumer Unused Spare ways in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock