Discuss Do I replace the ballast? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I used to be of the "repair it "mindset. What tipped the balance for me was when a "Made in W Germany" ballast caught fire.
I know there's a lot out there that aren't nearly as old but these days there are so many reasons to go LED.

You are probably right. I just have an image in my head of a mountain all those thousands of LED floodlights that fail after 6 months use, mixed in with that model of 2 part JCC downlights that lasted half that! But then I'm negative like that! Though this is usually the fault of the manufacturers, running the LEDs at the maximum rated current. If they just reduced the power to the LEDs by a watt or two the LEDs run cooler and will last substantially longer, with only a small reduction in light output.

I know a lot of things are better now than they were a few years back, but it is unlikely the LED lights will outlive a fluorescent fitting with a magnetic ballast. One place we work has a large number of 600x1200 lay in fittings, used 9 hours a day, 7 days a week. The date stamped on the ballasts is 1988. My grandmothers house had 3 working 4' fittings when I rewired it dated 1963.

I also find a lot of LED lighting plain and uninspiring. Some of the light fittings and building lighting designs from the 1930s and 40s were amazing I would love to go back in time to see them in person. I'd also love to see that enormous Ford neon sign at Dagenham while I'm doing some time traveling, installed mid 1930s IIRC. Neon is so cool and glowy.

Last edited:
Update....

It wasn't the ballast!

The 'non working' light fitting has 2 fluorescent tubes in it. The 'working' light fitting next to it has 1 fluorescent tube in it. Both lamps to look at are physically identical. So, i had put the working tube into the non working lamp fitting. It didn't work, so i assumed it could not just be a faulty tube.

However, (and this really high lights my lack of experience with regards commercial items) the tubes must have different wiring configurations inside them. I have just been back and tried some different tubes from a light fitting that actually takes 2 tubes.... and it works fine! 😞 Oops.

Is there a model number I should be looking for? Below are pictures of the one that I do want and the one that I don't want. Is it the PL-L and CLL marking that indicate the difference? Or some of the other markings?

There seems to be many PLL on line but no CLL. Is CLL now known as something different? I notice that '2Gll' is used, perhaps this means 2 gang and is the correct one?

For example this is a picture of the identification marking that I DO want:

Yes.jpg

As opposed to the one I don't want:

No.jpg

Reply to Do I replace the ballast? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net