Currently reading:
domestic installer tool list

Discuss domestic installer tool list in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

prh

hi all great site been having a good luck round..
im starting a domestic installer course at able skills on in a weeks time, and will obviously have lots of questions...lol
but my first is.. i plan to go on my own once completed and try to pick up small jobs to build my confidence and abilty. im trying to start buying the tools i will need for domestic work and am looking for a list/guide on what to buy and what brands to go for and what to avoid.
any advice greatly appreciated
cheers paul

hi all great site been having a good luck round..
im starting a domestic installer course at able skills on in a weeks time, and will obviously have lots of questions...lol
but my first is.. i plan to go on my own once completed and try to pick up small jobs to build my confidence and abilty. im trying to start buying the tools i will need for domestic work and am looking for a list/guide on what to buy and what brands to go for and what to avoid.
any advice greatly appreciated
cheers paul

If the course tutors are good then they should be able to provide you with all the information you require regarding tooling up. My advice would be to buy the essential items first, the things you are always going to need, screwdrivers, wire cutters etc then buy the more expensive items such as a wall chaser as and when you pick up a job that requires them. Ebay is as always a great place for this. I picked up most of my tools and tester for about a third of the price they would be new. As long as they do the job, what does it mater that they aren't nice and shiny!! they're not going to stay that way for long anyhow! Good luck with the course. I did a similar thing at Technique training in Chesterfield and really enjoyed it. Personally I agree with you that self employed is the way to go, unless you know someone who will take you on as an apprentice or mate then people just aren't interested in giving you a chance to get experience and competition for employment is far too great.
Just make sure when you set up you get registered and insured etc. This is the bit that will be more costly than tooling up so just leave a bit in the budget for that too!
All the best

You dont need much. Setting aside test instruments.
You need basic handtools, cutters pliers and the usual obvious electrical handtools.
Board lifter.
Spirit levels.
Drill bits and driver bits, again big sheds do sets with loads in for next to nothing.
A decent cordless drill driver, keep an eye on the big sheds, screwfix etc for good offers i use 18v dewalt.
A decent SDS plus drill, as above, i have a dewalt one.
Avoid having cordless everything, its Ok till you forget to charge the batteries. I have 240v SDS drill.
Circular saw.
Hand chisels, hammers ( cant have too many hammers).
PPE glasses/goggles, gloves and ear defenders to stop crap falling in your ears.
Small first aid kit.
set of Irwin spiral bits, and a cheap set of needle files to sharpen them with.
Holesaws. Buy the kits from Aldi when they have them, mine are 5 years old and still going strong and cost about a fiver.

As with any tools you get what you pay for, and the life of them reflects this. But you need to start somewhere, so dont go daft, upgrade as you can afford. I personally prefer and use CK handtools, excellent kit and not daft money either. They last me an age, but i do look after them. spend more on the tools than the toolbox, you cant do much with a tool box.

Theres loads of stuff about to make life easier, but a lot of it just sits idle in the van. I can chase a wall by hand quicker than it takes me to set up the chaser and clean up the mess it makes afterwards. So get what you need and not what you would like. The nice to haves can come as you and your business develop.

Cheers........Howard

hi paul welcome to the forum.
i would strongly suggest not to jump into self employment that fast if you dont already have experiance in house bashing its not all its cracked out to be by advertising yeh "earn up2 70k+ a year"
good luck

earn up to 70k but 55k will be expenses!!! and 15 will be profit!!

I had some college ring up last week on my personal mobile (starts with an O and has three other letters)... Told me I could earn £50k and become an electrician in a month!!

Told him to go forth and do one

they got it wrong. it's 70k all reight, but in a lifetime, not a year.

Now now fellas, we all have to start somewhere! If you believe God built the world in 7 days then surely any old Joe can become a qualified spark in a week and start up their own business!

For reference i'm an atheist so read in to the above what you will! ;)

I'm only teasing..... I know sweet fa about Part P and the building reg to be honest.. So they're probably safer house bashing than me

Wow, this post has really filled me optimisitc views of my future as a self employed sparky...cant wait to start spending all my money...or is that fighting off the baliffs for apparently earning about £6.50 a year and not being able to pay my rent...haha.

However, on the topic of money, and tools - i bought a set of automatic wire strippers and they were the best £15 i have ever spent, top banana. save me shed loads of time. Also a good lock off kit with an extensive range of locks to stop any twerp of a 7 year old turning the board on when your in a loft rolled up in fibre glass with a live up your arse...thats called a human candle isnt it?

good luck wade88... dont let the childrens comments get you down i dont...
some people look for anyone to blame if they aint happy

Off topic but had a look at this able skills course place. We dont have these training centres in Northern ireland but I see it is a 5 day course till you are qualified to be a domestic installer. **** me why did I waste 4 years doing my apprenticeship and 8 years out of my time to be at the same stage.

Off topic but had a look at this able skills course place. We dont have these training centres in Northern ireland but I see it is a 5 day course till you are qualified to be a domestic installer. **** me why did I waste 4 years doing my apprenticeship and 8 years out of my time to be at the same stage.

you will be better off i guess is wasnt a waste

you will be better off i guess is wasnt a waste

I di the long haul...3 years 2330 nights after work. Got in with a Domestic Installer in 2nd year & have had a patchy 2 years trying learn the practical elements alongside the theory. I wouldn't want to swap the experience I've had, as wasn't overly competent with DIY or tools but it's that aspect & thinking practically I wouldn't change, even if it's been a tough love...I was on a rewire last year and had a College Mate help me for 2 days for some experience for him. He'd had 2 years of wiring up 2 way switches at College with a meter of T&E but throw in the stairs of a house & explaining how that now worked, it was all brand new knowledge. Getting to the point where I am contemplating Domestic Registration, but still know my limits and what I don't know I'll find out & what I can't find out I'll pass off & hope I can get on with the Spark as an Improver...I've built up some contacts within the Trade & amongst other Trades, so have a bit of referral to fall back on...you've got to know your level of competence, there's just too much resting on making an awful **** Up!
Best of Luck Mate...wish you well. I'm forever an optimist, I was all caught up in the negatives in my previous job & not going down that route...lots of positives doing what you're doing...

if, like me, you were to choose a career in electrics in your twenties or thirties you would realise that it is impossible without paying and doing a course. I would love to have had the experience of an apprenticeship but unfortunately you can't get in one unless you are aged 16-19. and even then I know lads that have passed all the college bits but can't find anyone willing to take on an apprentice to finish their training. also no-one wants to take a volunteer on coz it'll slow them down and they will only be helping people set up in competition with them.
I had choice of 17 or 21 days intensive 9-5 (5 days is just for Part P course) or 2 years of college in the evenings. I paid for an extra 4 day "electrical foundation" course as well. it covered electrical theory and made me more conversant with the terms used by electricians before I did the part p exam.

Last edited:
when I did my regs course (with 12 "proper" sparks) I got the same welcome as the OP has had on here. "5 day wonder" "why did I spend years at college and years as an apprentice when I could have done a 5 day course?" etc, most of it light hearted. I agree that I don't have the experience those guys do but I know my limits, I'm not about to attempt anything too difficult at this stage. anyway, their view of me changed on exam day when I got 97% on the exam.

Good luck to any who are trying to get on in this world,even with these new training concepts and astronomical costs

Anyone getting 97% pass on any exam is commendable

Do not get too overconfident having done so though,keep in mind it is an open book regs exam,it teaches nothing about installlation,testing or anything else that will turn you into an experienced installer

The biggest potential problem in your situations is overstretching you abilities too much too soon

Confidence is a commendable trait,but it can cause danger in this game, if it is confidence gained because of ignorance of the subject

Know your limits,keep in mind you are still a trainee ( as we all are, whatever the individuals level happens to be) also, be assured that when you overstretch those limits, it will be with knowlege and experience backing you up

Remember doing a short course and then going it alone is one enormous leap

I fully agree with that. I have started by changing light fittings and sockets at home, progressing onto harder jobs. I've just fitted some additional sockets in a friends house. I've got a rewire to do in a weeks time for elecsa reg and I'm being helped/trained by a recently retired electrician friend of a friend. I wouldn't want to take that on without him even tho on paper I am qualified to do so.

Last edited:
Firstly, this is not directed at any forum members but just the course its self.

why the **** has the government allowed these money making schemes to take place after making a big deal over kitchen fitters & plumbers doing wiring so introducing part P (never worked either)?

As said by someone above, why did we all have to spend 3/4 years of our life going through a tough apprenticeship scheme when now you can do it in 5 days?
I respect the fact these people want to make a living but when they see glossy posters or nice adverts on the internet they don't get warned of all the s*** that comes with the job too!

Yes they've done the theory courses and passed the exams but if anyone was to be locked in a classroom fed a load of information and told to put it into an exam 5mins after your lesson has finished i'm sure most people would pass. They lack the experience of how to put all that information into practice. Having none of that I think its disgusting and a mockery to us served electricians how they can start up an electrical business.

The only good thing to come from all this is when the 5 day wonder labourer has gone in, we get called in to sort out the **** up's.

Good luck on your course :)

the course I did was, if I remember right, 4 days "foundation" electrical theory and getting used to the terms used by electricians, 5 days for part p, 4 days for regs, 3 days pat testing and 5 days c&g 2392 inspection & testing level 2. therefore not 5 day wonder but 21 day wonder. I agree that it is a ridiculous scenario and as your signature says you can't become an electrician in 8 weeks let alone 21 days. I would happily do it all the long way but it isn't possible once your too old for an apprenticeship unless you can find someone willing to teach you. also the courses can be passed by most but they do not take into account peoples practical skills. that doesn't mean that everyone who has done a short course isn't competent. they may have been very experienced in diy or may have done other trades and wanted a change or a diversification. I
have a brain and am also a competent diyer

when I did my regs course (with 12 "proper" sparks) I got the same welcome as the OP has had on here. "5 day wonder" "why did I spend years at college and years as an apprentice when I could have done a 5 day course?" etc, most of it light hearted. I agree that I don't have the experience those guys do but I know my limits, I'm not about to attempt anything too difficult at this stage. anyway, their view of me changed on exam day when I got 97% on the exam.

Hats off to you mate. I like the way you say you know your limits its honesty. My problem with the 5 day course is that it makes experienced sparks like me look bad. I never took the apprenticeship route because no employee was willing to fund me. So no AM2 or NVQ3, but I have both tech certs 2330 2 & 3. It took me 5 years to gain both certs the 17th Edition & the 2391-10. All of that time I was installing as a spark. Now 2 years on I have my own company. I am full scope with NAPIT and I do house bashing & light commercial. That is my bread & butter, it feeds the kids and keeps my Mrs Happy.

My problem comes when I go to price a job with a realistic daily rate only to be told someone undercut me by £200! This guy was a domestic installer and after checking up on him he was what is known as a 5 day wonder. Now that makes me look bad to the customer that I was £200 more expensive. The reason I am more expensive is because they are paying for my qualifications & experience.

Also it gives people on here (who did serve a full apprentiship) the chance to mock my abilities because I'm competing in market with unprofessional guys 5 day wonders & thats my problem.

Reply to domestic installer tool list in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock