Currently reading:
domestic installer tool list

Discuss domestic installer tool list in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

my aim is to do 2391 and nvq3. I could enrol on both courses tomorrow but I don't believe I'd be doing myself any favours by tackling them without enough relevent experience. I have been told there is an electrical company that charges people £thousands to train them on the practical stuff while also charging the customer full price for the job!

my aim is to do 2391 and nvq3. I could enrol on both courses tomorrow but I don't believe I'd be doing myself any favours by tackling them without enough relevent experience. I have been told there is an electrical company that charges people £thousands to train them on the practical stuff while also charging the customer full price for the job!

They have found a niche in the market there!

Also it gives people on here (who did serve a full apprentiship) the chance to mock my abilities because I'm competing in market with unprofessional guys 5 day wonders & thats my problem

Sorry but that my friend is bollards!

A 5 day wonder may not have the same experience and qualifications but how the **** does that make them more unprofessional then anyone else out there trying to earn a living???

Sour grapes I'm afraid, too many "Proper Sparks" spend too much of their time posting on the internet about 5 day wonders putting a hole in their wallet. Get off your ***** and do something about it. YOU proper sparks should be running rings around these guys FACT!!!!

Sorry for my short outburst but it really bugs me that all you ever read on this forum is thread after thread of 5 day wonder this and 5 day wonder that. I try not to post on this subject but once again a thread has moved from being a question about creating a tool list to all the proper sparks jumping on the 5 day wonder band wagon. GROW UP Children lol

Love to you all :D

---

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but that my friend is bollards!

A 5 day wonder may not have the same experience and qualifications but how the f*** does that make them more unprofessional then anyone else out there trying to earn a living???

Sour grapes I'm afraid, too many "Proper Sparks" spend too much of their time posting on the internet about 5 day wonders putting a hole in their wallet. Get off your arses and do something about it. YOU proper sparks should be running rings around these guys FACT!!!!

Sorry for my short outburst but it really bugs me that all you ever read on this forum is thread after thread of 5 day wonder this and 5 day wonder that. I try not to post on this subject but once again a thread has moved from being a question about creating a tool list to all the proper sparks jumping on the 5 day wonder band wagon. GROW UP Children lol

Love to you all :D

---

Must not bite.....;)

How can we run rings round them when they have exactly the same status as us? They have the same logos as us on their vans but in all honesty could be absolute amateurs after a 5 day course.

An unexpecting customer doesn't know the 2330 tech cert from the 5DW course unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all great site been having a good luck round..
im starting a domestic installer course at able skills on in a weeks time, and will obviously have lots of questions...lol
but my first is.. i plan to go on my own once completed and try to pick up small jobs to build my confidence and abilty. im trying to start buying the tools i will need for domestic work and am looking for a list/guide on what to buy and what brands to go for and what to avoid.
any advice greatly appreciated
cheers paul

Welcome to the friendly Electricians Forum. I'm sure you have already discovered that there is a lot of helpful information.

Out of interest, the course you are looking at doing... does it supply you with a starter kit?

My favourite addition to my tool kit has to be my cable shears. I would put that towards the top of your list.

which is worse/more dangerous?:
1. some training, mostly theory, 5 day part p course and 4 day regs course, passing the exams and being able to set up own domestic installer business after an assessment by a Part P scheme provider.
2. anybody, regardless of ability, experience or qualifications being able to buy everything they need to rewire a house from their local DIY store despite the fact that Part P scheme exists

which is worse/more dangerous?:
1. some training, mostly theory, 5 day part p course and 4 day regs course, passing the exams and being able to set up own domestic installer business after an assessment by a Part P scheme provider.
2. anybody, regardless of ability, experience or qualifications being able to buy everything they need to rewire a house from their local DIY store despite the fact that Part P scheme exists

2. FOR SURE but doesn't make it acceptable that professional trading bodies are allowing unexperienced trainees on to their books as full electricians

sorry prh we've hijacked your thread and gone off subject a bit. I'm not looking for answers to my above post it's a rhetorical question. anyway, some experience is essential for your "tool kit". get as much of it as you can, however you can. mine is coming from working alongside a retired electrician and working on my own and family and friends houses

2. FOR SURE but doesn't make it acceptable that professional trading bodies are allowing unexperienced trainees on to their books as full electricians
some will be experienced. on my course there was a guy that had been an electrician in the army for years. his work based qualifications counted for nothing now he was discharged and wanting to work on domestic.
domestic installers are not full electricians. additional elecsa reg to do PIRs and I wouldn't advertise that I do fault finding until I'd completed 2391. the problem is how Joe public sees them

I completed the C&G2330 part 1 and 2 over three years taking a day off work unpaid and paid for the course in full out of my own pocket. I got great scores but when I finished no one would take me on because I had no experience. There was no way I would have had the confidence to go at it alone because I didn't have any real practical knowledge. What upset me more was that there wasn't one person on that course who I would have let wire a plug in my house let alone any thing else but most of them were being paid to go on the course either by their employer or the government (in order to increase the amount of people with level 3 qualifications) and ate now most likely out the cowboying away lol.

I still want to be an electrician and now that the industry is picking up I'm looking to try again. I'm still looking for someone to help/teach/mentor me, surely the time I was confident and skilled enough to go it alone and get enough jobs to become viable competition the experienced electrician helping me would most likely be wanting to retire or at least take on less work anyway?
Yet no one wants to help :-(

I'm in Croydon if anyone wants to.

Last edited:

Reply to domestic installer tool list in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock