Currently reading:
Electrical Seperation ...AGAIN !!

Discuss Electrical Seperation ...AGAIN !! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just filling in some more test sheets, and still not clear on 'electrical seperation' ??

All I know is that an example of this is a shaver point, so apart from when I'm working on the a circuit with a shaver point on it when would I tick the box?

Sorry to be so vague!

Thanks,

Simon

When else would you tick that box then............ can you give me a couple more examples where electrical seperation may be present in a domestic situation?

thank U

When else would you tick that box then............ can you give me a couple more examples where electrical seperation may be present in a domestic situation?

thank U

In times gone by you may have had a 240 volt bell run off a one to one transformer

There isn't much, especialy domestic, that comes under this
It can only be for one item
More than one item and special considerations apply ( non domestic)
I know of no more on the subject

Electrical seperation is just SELV isn't it?

So domestically that would be mainly shaver sockets, cant think of other uses but there must be other zone one stuff that is SELV.

Oh O.K.

could you please explain the difference? I initially though it was the same as circuit division, but reading the regs 413.1.1 point 2 its says fault is provided by separation from other circuits and from earth so I thought that meant SELV.

Safety from shock can sometimes be ensured by separating a system completely from others so that there is no complete circuit through which shock current could flow. It follows that the circuit must be small to ensure that earth impedance's are very high and do not offer a path for shock current The source of supply for such a circuit could be a battery or a generating set, but is far more likely to be an isolating transformer with a secondary winding providing no more than 500 V. Such a transformer must comply with BS EN 60742, having a screen between its windings and a secondary winding which has no connection to earth.
There must be no connection to earth and precautions must he taken to ensure, as far as possible, that earth faults will not occur. Such precautions would include the use of flexible cords without metallic sheaths, using double insulation, making sure that flexible cords are visible throughout their length of run, and so on. Perhaps the most common example of a separated circuit is the bathroom transformer unit feeding an electric shaver. By breaking the link to the earthed supply system using the double wound transformer, there is no path to earth for shock current

The difference is that if more than one item of equipment was used and both had faults to say earthed pipework ( live of one and neutral of the other)you would have a shock potential
This cant happen with one item

Selv is extra low voltage,so you can have many faults ,but it cant give you a shock potential

Ah so the only difference is the voltage, I knew that SELV was low voltage obviously but didn't pick up on the fact that it could be done with out the low voltage.

Thanks.

Just filling in some more test sheets, and still not clear on 'electrical seperation' ??

All I know is that an example of this is a shaver point, so apart from when I'm working on the a circuit with a shaver point on it when would I tick the box?

Sorry to be so vague!

Thanks,

Simon

We where issued with one of these beasts at one place I worked. They where used while repairing "live" chassis TV sets in customers homes.

picture.php

I still use it for a 24 voly soldering iron.​

Last edited:
Ah so the only difference is the voltage, I knew that SELV was low voltage obviously but didn't pick up on the fact that it could be done with out the low voltage.

Thanks.

No, SELV is extra-low voltage as the name suggests. The example of the shaver unit and Electrical Separation is low voltage.

Reply to Electrical Seperation ...AGAIN !! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock