Discuss European socket fitted in UK. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IEC 60884 and 60906 plug and socket outlets are referenced for use in the BGB.

I've used 'European' plug and sockets to stop people using a none RCD protected socket as putting up a sign didn't work!

Why not just use one of the versions of the 13A with the altered pin layout like everyone else does for this purpose?

Fair enough, I'd assumed that since you were offering this as a contribution in a thread about installing foreign sockets in the uk that you had done this in the uk.
I don't think installing foreign sockets in foreign countries is relevant is it?

All work conducted is to British Standards and as those IEC plug and sockets are listed for use in the BGB, I used them.
I could have also used a blue BS EN 60309 to comply with The Regs, but we don't often get the socket delivered for some reason!!
Which is the usuall story here you can get one part but not the other to make a set!

All work conducted is to British Standards and as those IEC plug and sockets are listed for use in the BGB, I used them.
I could have also used a blue BS EN 60309 to comply with The Regs, but we don't often get the socket delivered for some reason!!
Which is the usuall story here you can get one part but not the other to make a set!

Can you post that clause in the Reg's up here, otherwise i'll have to wait until Monday to check myself. As far as i remember, the reg's were quite clear about ensuring that non reversible plugs, sockets, connectors were to be used (polarised). I think the only exception was on ELV installations where each line is has an OCPD at source. That certainly isn't the case with the German Schuko or the old European flat twin system etc....

Just found an older version of the 17th i had on PDF. Things may have changed because the table number has changed, and it only refers to BS standards. The 511.1 does however clearly state that where a foreign standard outlet is used, any differences between that foreign standard and that of the corresponding BS will not result in a lesser degree of safety of that afforded by compliance with the British standard...

So as far as i can see a German Schuko (reversible) or a non earthed and/or reversible outlet system will not comply.
But as i say, i'm quoting from an outdated 17th ed i have here, i'll need to check with the current edition on Monday at the office.... Unless anyone here can post up the current table and 511.1??

The table I can't do in full but heres the text.

Plug andsocket-outlet (< 32 A)
Standard – Isolation- EM switching –Functional switching
BS EN 60309 Yes(3) No Yes
IEC 60884 Yes(3) No Yes
IEC 60906 Yes(3) No Yes
(3) Device is suitable for on-loadisolation, i.e. disconnection whilst carrying load current.

511.1 Everyitem of equipment shall comply with the relevant requirements ofthe applicable British orHarmonized Standard, appropriate to theintended use of the equipment. The edition of the standard shall be the currentedition, with those amendments pertaining ata date to be agreed by the partiesto the contract concerned (see Appendix 1).

Alternatively, ifequipment complying with a foreign national standardbased on an lEC Standard is to be used, thedesigner or other person responsible for specifying the installationshall verify that any differences between thatstandard and the corresponding British or Harmonized Standardwill not result in a lesser degree of safety than that affordedby compliance with the Britishor Harmonized Standard.

511.2 Whereequipment to be used is not covered by a Britishor Harmonized Standard or is used outside the scopeof its standard, the designer or other person responsiblefor specifying the installation shall confirmthat the equipment provides at least the same degree of safety asthat afforded by compliance with the Regulations.

Last edited:
Just found an older version of the 17th i had on PDF. Things may have changed because the table number has changed, and it only refers to BS standards. The 511.1 does however clearly state that where a foreign standard outlet is used, any differences between that foreign standard and that of the corresponding BS will not result in a lesser degree of safety of that afforded by compliance with the British standard...

So as far as i can see a German Schuko (reversible) or a non earthed and/or reversible outlet system will not comply.
But as i say, i'm quoting from an outdated 17th ed i have here, i'll need to check with the current edition on Monday at the office.... Unless anyone here can post up the current table and 511.1??
9d9d623ecd038a4ffd079ce82a70d62e.jpg

from latest regs

At least lasts posts tell me something.
Thank you all that have said anything related to the question.
Answering why I want to do it - just want to have one socket like that somewhere as when my family coming they use adapters or even forcing UK sockets to get EU plug (for example putting knife in E hole!).

At least lasts posts tell me something.
Thank you all that have said anything related to the question.
Answering why I want to do it - just want to have one socket like that somewhere as when my family coming they use adapters or even forcing UK sockets to get EU plug (for example putting knife in E hole!).
do what i do if they try cut the plugs off XD if they want to use them in the uk they need to use an adapter or change the plug or ill cut plugtop off

Fair enough, I'd assumed that since you were offering this as a contribution in a thread about installing foreign sockets in the uk that you had done this in the uk.
I don't think installing foreign sockets in foreign countries is relevant is it?
I would be happy to install few of UK sockets in one of my house in Europe.
They are much better in many points.

I'll put this on the open forum Mazak,if you EVER send me another abusive pm accusing me of being a ---- or similar ever again I will track you from your ip address and hunt you down like the piece of scum you are,you have been warned!

Phil, report the private message and it will be sorted.

Phil, report the private message and it will be sorted.

I never called him ----, he post racist post yesturday night but after i report it he deleted post.
I said in priv what I think was peacefull. Not to get devided as we are all people living in this planet and they want us fight for their power and money.
Sorry for offtopic.

I'll put this on the open forum Mazak,if you EVER send me another abusive pm accusing me of being a ---- or similar ever again I will track you from your ip address and hunt you down like the piece of scum you are,you have been warned!
The police could from IP with a warrant via his ISP. They would not supply you with that info i'm afraid. Crikey.

you can trace people by there ip at least rough location but wont work ifif there using a vpn service for example my service lets me connect through over 100 different servers around the world
But if you did not have VPN it would only get you to the users ISP anyway. The ISP won't give out any info except to the police or government agencies. If anyone could get it, what with all the fall outs on facebook etc there would be a few more murders I reckon!! :)

Reply to European socket fitted in UK. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net