Discuss Finding earth leakage on 3 phase supply cables? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hoover

-
Reaction score
Hi. I've got a high earth leakage value on a main db supplying many 3phase cables. What's the best way to find the leakage values on each cable? Some of them can't be turned off. If I clamp around all 4 live conductors as they enter the db would this give me the earth leakage?

earthing conductors. measure the leakage current in mA. either that or isolate and IR test each phase conductor.

earth leakage is a current flowing to earth via earthing /bonding conductors. this can be measured with and without loads being applied. measure first with no loads connected. then add loads one at a time to see if the reading, if any, increases. any sudden increase in the reading will show which load is causing the problem.

Hi. I've got a high earth leakage value on a main db supplying many 3phase cables. What's the best way to find the leakage values on each cable? Some of them can't be turned off. If I clamp around all 4 live conductors as they enter the db would this give me the earth leakage?

Yes, if you can clamp all the live conductors in a circuit (including neutral), any current detected must be the leakage to earth. (With a ring final you'll have to clamp the lives on both legs, of course.)

The difficulty will be getting a reliable leakage figure in the presence of large load currents and the magnetic influence of current in adjacent circuits.

The only way you will test for leakage in this situation is by clamping the cable cores. You will have so many parallel paths to earth that clamping a CPC won’t give a meaningful reading.

How big is your leakage, i had 14amps going down the earth from the DB, all caused by a large number of old fluorescent fittings. Thought i had a cross over somewhere but did a load of pulling and tugging of wires and all checked out, except between fittings, which are at high level i have not checked

The only way you will test for leakage in this situation is by clamping the cable cores. You will have so many parallel paths to earth that clamping a CPC won’t give a meaningful reading.

Very true, in fact on many switchboards and/or bigger DB panels that incorporate E L protection relays on out-goers, it will be via a CT that encompasses all the cores of that cable being monitored...

Clamping the CPC is only really suitable for final circuits, or for comparison purposes on larger earthing cables. In an industrial/factory installation, as Tony stated, your not going to see any meaningful or particularly accurate values clamping only the CPC's ....

Reply to Finding earth leakage on 3 phase supply cables? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock