Currently reading:
Fire Alarms

Discuss Fire Alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

the last f/a system i installed was at b&q castlelpoint i didn,t get the knowlege from a 3 day course
post 18 was a take btw

So you're telling all of us that you would have known where to place a detector, call point and sounder without even bothering to go to a FIA course? (Without being told)

yes trainee
the site plan& specification that is used has all of the positions of the tecs and the type of tecs/ zones/ e/lts/ door magnets/ holders too velux window openers -----ect

yes trainee
the site plan& specification that is used has all of the positions of the tecs and the type of tecs/ zones/ e/lts/ door magnets/ holders too velux window openers -----ect

Im not saying its mandatory or that you have to have fia training, but personally being new to alarms and having never touched them, even if I was just following plans, I think it's possibly a good idea to get some form of recognised industry training however basic you say it is as its going to help.

Did you wire your first consumer unit from plans or rewire a house just from plans then without any prior training?

Dave, I was trying to be sarcastic, I was suggesting that he just installs it without knowing what he was doing then gets someone else to check it. Yes, I know it's quite normal, my dad was in the fire service for 35 years.

Consulting fire officers about these things is pretty normal, why wouldn't you do it?

Trusting fire officers will get you into a whole lot of trouble....they know to put fires out, and prevention but that`s about all.
A fire stratorgy report and fire risk assessment, is mandatory document, required for any commercial building. The responsibility for these legal documents, is the owner of the property.

Anybody without experience, should not install alone....but its the same advice, you would give to inexperienced electricians or plumbers.
Everybody has to start somewhere in a career, but in the fire industry, the are no real college courses to gain a C&Q or NVQ. Yet there is is 8 part British & EN standard on the subject. So an FIA or BSI course is really all that is on offer, and expect the students to already be existing qualified sparks. Best advice I can really give is team up with a good local alarm company, and offer to install along side there design. You gain experience installing, and get paid for it, the alarm company conduct the design and commission side.

Anybody without experience, should not install alone....but its the same advice, you would give to inexperienced electricians or plumbers.
Everybody has to start somewhere in a career, but in the fire industry, the are no real college courses to gain a C&Q or NVQ. Yet there is is 8 part British & EN standard on the subject. So an FIA or BSI course is really all that is on offer, and expect the students to already be existing qualified sparks. Best advice I can really give is team up with a good local alarm company, and offer to install along side there design. You gain experience installing, and get paid for it, the alarm company conduct the design and commission side.

C&G 1853 fire pathway :)

Thats what i did. To be honest without sounding up my own backside, i didn't learn anything on that course but its put it all down on paper for me so should help if i ever decide to move employers.
For someone who has barely any experience with fire alarms, it would be a fantastic course but i went on it about 3 years after i got into the industry.

Reply to Fire Alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock