Discuss Fusebox consumers units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Those cutters,pliers and the driver in the pic were almost new then but not quite so pretty now. And don't you find that where ever you place your tools where other 'trades' are about they seem to act as a magnet for them to drill,saw,plane,sand,paint you name it right by them. :rolleyes:

My latest Fusebox consumer delivery (arrived today) is now using single module width SPDs. All the previous units required two module widths for the SPD. This wins back the way previously lost to an MCB, when Fusebox decided it wasn't OK to just connect the SPD across the incoming supply/

Attachments

• Fusebox consumers units Fusebox SDP single module - EletriciansForums.net
    Fusebox SDP single module.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 49
Also don’t forget many of these YouTube celeb sparks are sponsored by certain manufacturers

That video was uploaded to You Tube in May 2019. However, DSS Electrical subsequently uploaded another video regarding Fusebox boards six months later wherein he is full of praise for the brand. He even goes so far as to say that he thinks they're better than Hager! Conflicting advice indeed. :confused1:

That video was uploaded to You Tube in May 2019. However, DSS Electrical subsequently uploaded another video regarding Fusebox boards six months later wherein he is full of praise for the brand. He even goes so far as to say that he thinks they're better than Hager! Conflicting advice indeed. :confused1:

Probably because he got got sent a load for free

Probably because he got got sent a load for free

In the first video he stated that they were sh*t and not to bother with them. That was the sum total of his opinion and the statement was not qualified with any details about what he didn't like.

In the second video he stated that he'd never actually fitted one of them before, but that his employee had and didn't like it. He went on to state that the same employee prefers MK boards, which he fits regularly - make of that what you will.

His own opinion in that second video may have been influenced by receiving a free unit, or it might not, but it was an actual review that gave some detail to back up those opinions.

*Edit: Second video contains statement that boards were bought by himself. Not freebies, it would seem.

I quite like Fusebox CUs, I have only fitted one to be fair, but I did look over a few before recommending them first.

Ultimately it's up to the individual to decide for themselves as we all view things differently, and of course no CU design is perfect, so if it so happens that one of these issues impacts you on a particular install, you get a totally different view than if the issue didn't occur.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are better than Hager, but they perform well up there with the better ones out there. I would say that a cost/quality point of view would put them above Hager, Hager aren't 2-3x as good but they are 2-3x as expensive (but my favourite - just don't tell the other CUs this!)

Why anyone would buy BG or any other bottom or mid-range CU in preference to Fusebox is beyond me.

On a slightly different angle how do these 'celebrity' sparks get away with filming jobs complete with commentary, it must add a lot of time to the job- and are the customers paying for the added time ?
I just wouldn't have the time to p155 about like that , and do these videos also encourage the DIY brigade to attempt much more than they're capable of ?
That's tonights rant done. :)

i would imagine that they would get customers consent to make the youtube video, with a substantial discount offered to the customer on the job involved.

@Dave OCD We were talking about this yesterday. It's a days work to test, remove the old board and then install a new one, dress all the cables, final test and record all the results. I've no idea how they manage it with the recording also.

I also think that it dies encourage DIYers. We've had instances of it around here where they try to follow a Youtube video. There was mention on Instagram this morning of a CPS assessor watching a sparky on site whom was watching a Youtube video of wiring up a light so he could follow along!

Have fitted a few Fusebox consumer units now over this last year and have been very happy with them with no come backs afterwards from customers. I originally purchased them through Thomas Electrical Distributors although my local CEF can order them in for me at a similar price.

Because you can buy BG at Screwfix round the corner... but you'd need to know about CP Fusebox and search for a supplier. ??
Yeah, sort of accept that, and expect it for a diyer, but for professionals not to be aware of the market, and sticking with the lowest of the low at the same price as better kit....

I suppose I should have qualified my statement along the professional installer line...

A bit off subject, but does anyone have any experience with m2 boards? I've been offered boards with spds and compact rcbos at a decent price, but I've never fitted any so if anyone has any experience with them Id be grateful.
I've fitted a couple of m2 boards, off the shelf at CEF. Preferred the rcbo board to the split load rcd board. I don't like the lid fixings as they seldom match up and the units look like something out of a Russian spacecraft. A bit basic. Having said that never had any post installation issues. Would prefer to install a different brand when given the choice i.e. Fusebox, Hagar, etc.

Yeah, sort of accept that, and expect it for a diyer, but for professionals not to be aware of the market, and sticking with the lowest of the low at the same price as better kit....

I suppose I should have qualified my statement along the professional installer line...
Yeah... I am a professional installer... and getting hold of materials can be a right pain. Anything that has to be specially ordered needs me to carefully plan ahead with full knowledge of exactly what I need... which isn't always the case. Then if anything needs to be delivered... I either need to carefully schedule an office/paperwork day or have deliveries to site, but which site ?

Having a store around the corner that always has everything I want on the shelf, opens early and late, and is keenly priced has got to be the nirvana ?

I'm also working on designing the perfect toolbox... it has every tool in it that you need.. but none that you don't need... is lightweight and easily carried from van to door... and of course never gets stolen !

Last edited by a moderator:

It is common amongst all trades to use whatever materials are available from local wholesalers and, where necessary, grumble a bit about quality or price. My work over the years has required me to keep abreast of new products in many industries and that need to know also extends to areas in which I have a personal interest - I'm firmly of the belief that it's not possible to possess too much information.

During my time reading this forum I've been surprised at how often members had been unaware of products that many others take for granted and these instances demonstrate another benefit of the forum. I'd previously posted about CP Fusebox releasing their compact RCBOs as I have a particular interest in TT earthing systems (interest, not knowledge ?) and these offered a significant cost saving for such installations - both to the installer and consumer.

Reply to Fusebox consumers units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock