Currently reading:
Generator Powered Furnace

Discuss Generator Powered Furnace in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I am in Dallas experiencing heavy power outages and my family has been without power for 36 hours and therefore also heating. I have a 8000 w generator and a 100 ft 10 gauge extension cord. Is there any way that I can get this generator somehow wired to part of the Furnace so we don't have to have another night of sleeping in 40° housing?

Maybe I can wire it directly to the switch where the furnace toggles, or perhaps directly into the furnace circuit breaker in the breaker box. This is only temporary and would be undone after this whole crisis is over from concerned with my family and baby and senior pets not having enough heat.

The furnace is a S8B1B060M4 and the generator is this: 6250 Watt Portable Generator - https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/generators/portable-generators/6250-watt-portable-generator.html

Any help would be drastically appreciated. I'm fairly knowledgeable about electrical and wires, just haven't done this specifically before and wanted to ask before I did something wrong.

For a permanent arrangement?

Usually you would get an transfer switch to allow you to move the whole panel from utility power to a local generator, but you will need to shut down a lot of circuits as your generator is probably only 30A or so and not going to run lots of high current stuff.

Also you need to check if your generator provides a 120-0-120 supply so you can run both 240V stuff and 120V stuff safely (though I think in the USA 240V stuff is usually quite high power and might be too much for your generator).
Yeah, we can use an Interlock device to prevent backfeed but I'd turn all the other circuits off anyway. I was just thinking ahead for if/when I want to get it connected long term.

On the note of those breakers, is there any reason I can't convert some of those light switch ones to a tandem breaker?

Reply to Generator Powered Furnace in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

USA Electrical Advice

Welcome to the USA Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.

UK Electrical Forum

This is the main UK Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. Electrician State Laws for Electrics and Electricals may differ on a state-by-state basis. American questions and answers can be found in our UK electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back