Discuss Is an additional breaker required when using my generator to power a household circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Apologies up front but I'm a DIYer and only got 1 reply on that forum so trying here. I'm in Ontario Canada where a homeowner can do there own electrical work. Here's my question:

On my 2200 watt Honda generator the 120 v outlets are protected by a built in 20 amp breaker. Can I use this safely to power a 15 amp (14 gauge wire) household circuit, ie temporarily bypassing the 15 amp panel breaker? Or do I need to install a 15 amp in-line breaker in the wiring from the generator? With only the 20 amp generator breaker, wouldn't this potentially allow the circuit to see more current than it can safely handle, ie if the circuit was inadvertently overloaded?
Thx
Garth

looking at the cable ratings, it looks like 15A for 60degree cable or 20A for 75degree cable rating.
2200w works out at 18A at 120v so it is not likely that any overload will be sustained for long enough to overheat the cable.

however, it is not going to be providing adequate protection on paper, however marginal the overload is the short answer is no you shouldn't do it.

a better approach would be to fit a changeover switch to the panel inlet and then you have no issue with overload of cables as they are all protected by the original breakers.

The biggest issue you have is to ensure that the generator cannot be connected in parallel with grid supply as this can be fatal to line workers and/or cause a big bang and write off your generator.

It is Really DANGEROUS to Simpley switch a circuit off and use a windowmaker cable (male connection each end) to back feed a circuit.
I hope that is not what you are considering when you say temporarily bypassing the breaker.

looking at the cable ratings, it looks like 15A for 60degree cable or 20A for 75degree cable rating.
2200w works out at 18A at 120v so it is not likely that any overload will be sustained for long enough to overheat the cable.

however, it is not going to be providing adequate protection on paper, however marginal the overload is the short answer is no you shouldn't do it.

a better approach would be to fit a changeover switch to the panel inlet and then you have no issue with overload of cables as they are all protected by the original breakers.

The biggest issue you have is to ensure that the generator cannot be connected in parallel with grid supply as this can be fatal to line workers and/or cause a big bang and write off your generator.

It is Really DANGEROUS to Simpley switch a circuit off and use a windowmaker cable (male connection each end) to back feed a circuit.
I hope that is not what you are considering when you say temporarily bypassing the breaker.
Thanks very much for your reply. Re your last paragraph, what I have done for 3 circuits (not yet functional) is install 3 outlet receptacles beside the panel, fed from the relevant 3 breakers. I put male plugs on the circuit cables, which will normally be plugged into these outlets. I also have an adjacent receptical fed from where I would plug in the generator in the garage, where the circuits would be plugged into in the event of a power failure. For a dedicated circuit eg serving the fridge, this is no different and perhaps better than using extension cords.

My overall intent here is to have permanent cabling in place to feed selected items/circuits from the generator, rather than running a mish mash of extension cords through the house from outside.

Thx again.

Garth

Reply to Is an additional breaker required when using my generator to power a household circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net