Discuss Hairdressers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Shakey, lets look as some examples from your perspective.

Scenario

You are saying that the number of meters equals the number of supplies.

Let move away from Part P for a moment and look at some examples of what you are saying.

1. A factory has a 3-phase motor and there are 3 separate meters one per phase. You are saying that the premises have 3 supplies? If the three meters are replaced by one poly-phase (3-phase) meter then the number of supplies has been reduced to one.

2. What would you define as the supply if you had an un-metered installation??? i.e. street lighting, traffic signals and signs, remote and underground water authority pumping stations where these installations are on a fixed load tariff?
Your definition is that it would not have a supply as there is no meter!

Getting back to Part P

3. A landlord has premises with 3-phase, one phase feeds a business and the other two feed two flats. Each phase has its own meter. The business is outside the scope of part P because it is metered separately from the flats. Electrical work is carried out on the business by a non registered part P electrician. Some time later the landlord decides to install his own private meters to his tenants and instructs the electricity company to replace the 3 separate meters to one poly-phase, (3-phase) meter. Building work is planed for the premises and a LABC officer visits’ the site and notices that electrical work has been carried out on the business and sees that it has one meter. Oh dear, I would not like to be in that electricians shoes!! So Shakley how would you explain this situation to the LABC officer???

4. If a domestic dwelling has two meters, one for ‘normal’ and one ‘off peak’, your definition is that it has two supplies.

A bit more closely to home now

The electrical certificate that we all fill in, or should do, there is a section with the heading ‘Supply characteristics’’ where the type of supply has to be identified and recorded. Ie , TN-S, TN-C-S, TT. The main fuse rating and type. No reference is made or recorded with respect to the meters. That’s because the meters have no significant to the installation or the supply. If they did the meter type /number of meters would be recorded. The meter in fact is the only part of the installation and supply details NOT to be recorded on the certificate. That’s because it is irrelevant and transparent to both the supply and installation. Its only purpose is for billing.

You are taking to much notice of the guide book which we have determined has miss printed text. It is only a guide after all and any publication can have mistakes even from the IET formally IEE. Look at how many amendments there are following publication the wiring regulations, rephrasing because of misunderstanding. Part P is new and there are likely to be more teething problems and errors than if it had been published several years ago.

And finally, throw that book away it has been withdrawn as it is now a withdrawn standard. See below.

BIP 2082:2005 - WITHDRAWN

Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations. Including approved Document P: Electrical Safety in Dwellings
Categories:
Electricity supply systems

WARNING: This is a WITHDRAWN standard
Please click here to view more information about withdrawn standards
BSi code: BIP 2082:2005
ISBN number: 0 86341 463 X
Product code: 30132400
Publication Date: 1st Mar 2005

I told you so. I hope the penny has dropped shakey and the rest.

Shakey and Bane I might be the minority as you both commented and you should both be politicians as they rely on votes. I am an electrical engineer and I count on facts, feasibility and above all common sense. By the way Bane, does Shakey own me now????

Shakey, lets look as some examples from your perspective.

Scenario

You are saying that the number of meters equals the number of supplies.

Let move away from Part P for a moment and look at some examples of what you are saying.

1. A factory has a 3-phase motor and there are 3 separate meters one per phase. You are saying that the premises have 3 supplies? If the three meters are replaced by one poly-phase (3-phase) meter then the number of supplies has been reduced to one.

2. What would you define as the supply if you had an un-metered installation??? i.e. street lighting, traffic signals and signs, remote and underground water authority pumping stations where these installations are on a fixed load tariff?
Your definition is that it would not have a supply as there is no meter!

Getting back to Part P

3. A landlord has premises with 3-phase, one phase feeds a business and the other two feed two flats. Each phase has its own meter. The business is outside the scope of part P because it is metered separately from the flats. Electrical work is carried out on the business by a non registered part P electrician. Some time later the landlord decides to install his own private meters to his tenants and instructs the electricity company to replace the 3 separate meters to one poly-phase, (3-phase) meter. Building work is planed for the premises and a LABC officer visits’ the site and notices that electrical work has been carried out on the business and sees that it has one meter. Oh dear, I would not like to be in that electricians shoes!! So Shakley how would you explain this situation to the LABC officer???

4. If a domestic dwelling has two meters, one for ‘normal’ and one ‘off peak’, your definition is that it has two supplies.

A bit more closely to home now

The electrical certificate that we all fill in, or should do, there is a section with the heading ‘Supply characteristics’’ where the type of supply has to be identified and recorded. Ie , TN-S, TN-C-S, TT. The main fuse rating and type. No reference is made or recorded with respect to the meters. That’s because the meters have no significant to the installation or the supply. If they did the meter type /number of meters would be recorded. The meter in fact is the only part of the installation and supply details NOT to be recorded on the certificate. That’s because it is irrelevant and transparent to both the supply and installation. Its only purpose is for billing.

You are taking to much notice of the guide book which we have determined has miss printed text. It is only a guide after all and any publication can have mistakes even from the IET formally IEE. Look at how many amendments there are following publication the wiring regulations, rephrasing because of misunderstanding. Part P is new and there are likely to be more teething problems and errors than if it had been published several years ago.

And finally, throw that book away it has been withdrawn as it is now a withdrawn standard. See below.

BIP 2082:2005 - WITHDRAWN

Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations. Including approved Document P: Electrical Safety in Dwellings
Categories:
Electricity supply systems

WARNING: This is a WITHDRAWN standard
Please click here to view more information about withdrawn standards
BSi code: BIP 2082:2005
ISBN number: 0 86341 463 X
Product code: 30132400
Publication Date: 1st Mar 2005

I told you so. I hope the penny has dropped shakey and the rest.

Shakey and Bane I might be the minority as you both commented and you should both be politicians as they rely on votes. I am an electrical engineer and I count on facts, feasibility and above all common sense. By the way Bane, does Shakey own me now????

Mazdaman

when did we establish there has been a misprint in the book? The book I have is very clear, did they 'misprint' the diagrams as well?

Of course the supply is what is coming in, but we are determining what the supply is quite specifiaclly for determining the boundaries and remit of Part P

And for everytime you stated "your defenition", please replace with "most electricians defintions, including the IEE/IET)

and of course we can all find holes in each others argument - but it is about Part P, and as your examples 1 & 2 are clearly outside of Part P, they are ireelevent to this discussion

dont see your reasoning with example 3

when the work was carried out 'MY' reasoning applied and the business was not under Part P

the fact that changing of the metering may/or may not bring it under Part P in the future is ireelevent.

Thats like saying "yes you complied with the 16th edition, but what happens when the 17th comes in"

and as we know, the the rules regulations in foce 'on the day' are what counts, not any future changes

and the 'guide book', written by the same people that wrote the regs that we all follow, really my friend, you are clearly set on your path.

I dont think ANYTHING could convince you otherwise

i have still not seen any document that backs up your theory, but I have shown a document that clearly backs up mine

If you just stand there and say 'yes but its a missprint, its wrong', then really, there is nothing more to say

Bottom line is, sparks does work on a pub, on seperate meter to flat above. Like every sparks I have met, he would say its not under Part P. So LABC come out because of the general building work, and tell the spark it DOES come under part p because its on a common 'service cable'.

Has this ever happened. EVER? Somehow, I dont think so

Stay as you are my friend, its your position, and your entitiled to it

think you will be lonely though.........;)

Bottom line is, sparks does work on a pub, on seperate meter to flat above. Like every sparks I have met, he would say its not under Part P. So LABC come out because of the general building work, and tell the spark it DOES come under part p because its on a common 'service cable'.

Shakey if the above has a common supply (ie cable) not meter ,but a common supply then it will come under part p, same for a shop. that bit is quite clear.

its all bull though just do what you like, everyone ,sod the regs ,i think ill start a feedom from the sh~t campaign.

Shakey if the above has a common supply (ie cable) not meter ,but a common supply then it will come under part p, same for a shop. that bit is quite clear.

its all bull though just do what you like, everyone ,sod the regs ,i think ill start a feedom from the sh~t campaign.

No Rum, it isnt quite clear at all

they may be on a common service cable ( and they may not), but for Part P purposes the 'supply' is what the individual part of the bulidng recieves AFTEr the meter

so seperate meters, (regardless of common or individual service cables), businees not under Part P, flat is

and yes, its all crap, 'cos none of this has ANYTHING to do with BS7671!

Shakey we didn't confirm any printing mistake in the book. I was assuming, as my book , which hasn't been withdrawn, and says 'common supply' the same as the Part P approved document and same as rumrunner. As for definitions which have been round the electricity industry for many years, you can't change the term 'supply' or any other definition between installations for the sake of Part P. I am not saying that the inspector will say 'common service cable' I was referring in earlier comment that the 'common supply' refers to the supply to the premise, ie service cable. The meter is the demarcation point as you have rightly said but are the 'supply terminals' not ‘supply’ as per electricity supply regulations'. See below.
If the document said ‘common terminals’ you would be correct as this is the meter and point of delivery to consumer.

Definitions from supply regulations

'supply' means supply with energy to premises other than those on which it was generated.

"supply terminals" means the ends of the electric lines situated upon any consumer's premises at which the supply is delivered and, unless otherwise agreed in writing, where a meter is employed to register the value of the supply and is directly connected to those lines, means the terminals of that meter furthest from the installation of the owner of that meter;

I think we will see a lot of changes and amendments to part P because it does cause a lot of confusion even to LABC inspectors.

We'll have to a agree to disagree on this one Shakey, but I do agree with you and rumrunner that it's all crap and there are improvements required by the rule makers to iron out much of the confusion that part P has caused.

Shakey we didn't confirm any printing mistake in the book. I was assuming, as my book , which hasn't been withdrawn, and says 'common supply' the same as the Part P approved document and same as rumrunner. As for definitions which have been round the electricity industry for many years, you can't change the term 'supply' or any other definition between installations for the sake of Part P. I am not saying that the inspector will say 'common service cable' I was referring in earlier comment that the 'common supply' refers to the supply to the premise, ie service cable. The meter is the demarcation point as you have rightly said but are the 'supply terminals' not ‘supply’ as per electricity supply regulations'. See below.
If the document said ‘common terminals’ you would be correct as this is the meter and point of delivery to consumer.

Definitions from supply regulations

'supply' means supply with energy to premises other than those on which it was generated.

"supply terminals" means the ends of the electric lines situated upon any consumer's premises at which the supply is delivered and, unless otherwise agreed in writing, where a meter is employed to register the value of the supply and is directly connected to those lines, means the terminals of that meter furthest from the installation of the owner of that meter;

I think we will see a lot of changes and amendments to part P because it does cause a lot of confusion even to LABC inspectors.

We'll have to a agree to disagree on this one Shakey, but I do agree with you and rumrunner that it's all crap and there are improvements required by the rule makers to iron out much of the confusion that part P has caused.

well said Mazdaman

If we, the people at the coal face, experienced and qualified engineers, cannot agree on the interpretation of the available documents, then what chance has the non-electrical LABC inspector got?

And we have the advantage, in that if either you or I were to work to our defintions, it would take an LABC with some BIG kahunas to try and over ride us on a technical issue!:D

"Yes Mazdaman. You are still the sole property of one, Mr.Shakey. Except on Tuesdays. When you are mine"

"Yes Mazdaman. You are still the sole property of one, Mr.Shakey. Except on Tuesdays. When you are mine"

Bane, why Tuesday? I freekin hate Tuesday, its a nothing day

I like Saturdays me, got a stinking 'Bow hangover, she is in work, and Shakey has got Shakey blasting out on my Denon system:D

Reply to Hairdressers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock