Discuss How does my dual rate set-up work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been dealing with my supplier recently during the lockdown as I got bored, and I started to explore the electrical set up at home as well at the same time

I currently have something call a 2 MPAN Economy 9 meter in the meter cupboard, which has 1 L+N in and 1 L+N out, and an extra blue cable going into covered metal trunking. I live in an apartment building so the trunking is in a communal cupboard. No other neutral contact or henley block that is visible as far as I could see.

In my flat, I don't see any supply cable going in and all I could see is the CU.
It is a Hager box, with 2 x 100A and 1 x 63A. I assume the sparky that worked on it tidied it all up and have all the tele-controlled heating related appliance on the right-hand side, dealt with by one of the 100A. Everything else that is available 24 hours are on the other 100A and 63A.

My question is, how does my set-up actually work. I know the blue cable deals with the off-peak control, but where does my supply split into 2, for the day and heat circuit? Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

Bonus question: will my set up work if I switch to a smart meter or a standard E7 meter (minus the reduced hours)

Fun fact: my current supplier (NPower) doesn't even have the meter type correctly recorded on their system...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-20 at 19.14.22.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 16
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-27 at 22.48.39.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 17
looking at the meter, it has 2 rates, 1 and 2. it automatically records peak usage (1), and of peak (2). the off peak generally being 12 midnight to 7 am. so everything in use 12 -7am is on the low rate.

Just to add, the off peak blue cable (5th terminal) goes to your off peak supply side of your cu, the 4th terminal from meter goes to the 24hrs supply on your cu.
As mentioned when the off peak switches over via teli switch in meter , the whole installation goes over to off peak. Therefore all usage will be recorded on rate2. (e9 in your case)

E9 is not a tariff im familiar with, with E10 you do get some off peak boosts through out the daytime.

Just to add, the off peak blue cable (5th terminal) goes to your off peak supply side of your cu, the 4th terminal from meter goes to the 24hrs supply on your cu.
As mentioned when the off peak switches over via teli switch in meter , the whole installation goes over to off peak. Therefore all usage will be recorded on rate2. (e9 in your case)

E9 is not a tariff im familiar with, with E10 you do get some off peak boosts through out the daytime.
In our case, the heating rate seem to be active for an afternoon boost (around 12.30-3, depending on the day). At that time, the teleswitch light flashes on the meter, with the status D indicated on the meter. However the general use still record in Rate 1 rather than 2 during the afternoon boost. How does the CU work in that case?

Is that by you pushing the boost button on the meter or is it switching on its own.
[automerge]1588078248[/automerge]
Are both rates advancing anytime
[automerge]1588078404[/automerge]
Either way the teleswitch is closing hence the supply to your cu.

Last edited:
Is that by you pushing the boost button on the meter or is it switching on its own.
Didn't push any boost button, just switching on during the boost time (afternoon and evening)
Are both rates advancing anytime
Yep, have seen advancing both rates. Wondering how the supply works in the boost time, as in how it records usage during boost hours.

During boost hour, status D is shown on Rate 2 with element 2 only. Rate 1 also has element 1 shown.
During economy hours, no status is shown on Rate 2 with both element 1 and 2 indicated. Rate 1 has no element shown at that point.

Reply to How does my dual rate set-up work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net