Discuss How to actually TT a shed/garage? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have never TT'd a shed/garage I always just extend the earth from the house.

In the example of a shed/garage being supplied with SWA is the armour of the SWA earthed by the house (lets say TNCS) or by the earth rod?

Also, if the SWA is earthed by the TNCS then you have both TNCS and TT present in the garage CU. If the SWA is earthed by the TT then you have TNCS and TT present in the Main CU? Is that ok with regards potential difference between earthing systems?

ps... I realise you can extend the equipotential zone but I am just looking at a TT for a shed, this is because of the chance of an electric charging point being in the shed (as per my other thread).

Last edited:
Earth the armour at supply then gland in to a plastic box to isolate the earth.

Connect shed CU to Rod.
In your example there will be a plastic adaptable box near the shed. From this box there will be (for example) 10mm Twin and earth in to the garage CU. Will this earth be connected to the TNCS or TT? You will have the same issue with the TNCS and TT being in the same box/CU, is this a problem?

can't see any reason not to use the TNC-S and add a rod at the shed.
the argument for not using TNC-S is the problem caused if the supply neutral is lost. adding a rod would solve that problem. tin hat time .
How to actually TT a shed/garage? upload_2019-5-29_21-30-1 - EletriciansForums.net

Wasn’t that their intention for the 18th until they redacted it because North of the border they can’t sink rods in granite. Same issue but a shed.

At the end of the day you'll never eradicate all risk. PME has some potentially severe flaws but these are very rare.

The biggest of these being in contact with true earth and losing the supply neutral.

IMO whatever you do will always have a potential downside.

In your example there will be a plastic adaptable box near the shed. From this box there will be (for example) 10mm Twin and earth in to the garage CU. Will this earth be connected to the TNCS or TT? You will have the same issue with the TNCS and TT being in the same box/CU, is this a problem?
Gland the supply cable off within an all insulated enclosure. Take no other cpc into it, earth the consumer unit to the electrode.

Gland the supply cable off within an all insulated enclosure. Take no other cpc into it, earth the consumer unit to the electrode.
Do you mean use a 2 core cable from insulated enclosure to garage CU? Maybe just have the insulated enclosure very close to the garage CU and just continue the 2 core of the SWA into it, perhaps directly behind it. That way you only have the 2 cores (without an earth) for a very short distance?

I'm going to extend the example now!!

If the shed/garage is going to have sockets/lights AND an electric vehicle charging point would you need to take 2 separate supplies (i.e 2 x 2 core SWA) as the charging point needs to be on it's own dedicated circuit? Or could it be on it's own dedicated circuit from the Garage CU? I would have thought the former as otherwise it's not really a dedicated circuit.

I wouldn't dick around with two supplies, split the tails at source, switched fuse then supply to the shed/garage in a suitable installation method and suitable DB. TT if required for the EVCP or other services or PME if acceptable.

If the cable going to shed is sufficient with installation method and size for the sockets, lights and thr charger then you can supply it from the house cu. Then the shed/garage cu has seperate circuits for each of the 3 above. I would where possible have the rcd protection in the shed rather than house in this instance.

Wasn’t that their intention for the 18th until they redacted it because North of the border they can’t sink rods in granite. Same issue but a shed.
Most of Donegal's rock but it's a requirement there to have an Earth electrode in every installation. Can be hard work sometimes.

can't see any reason not to use the TNC-S and add a rod at the shed.
the argument for not using TNC-S is the problem caused if the supply neutral is lost. adding a rod would solve that problem. tin hat time .
View attachment 49651

Perfectly fine but the installation would need to be designed for a TT and not the PME.

Regarding the question of terminating the SWA and ensuring you can't simultaneously touch exposed-conductive parts from two different earthing systems, I use a 25mm nylon compression gland on the shed/garage DB for the SWA rather than an SWA gland. After R1+R2 tests, I cut the armour off using the standard method, and leave the serving sheath the same length. I make sure the compression gland insert is completely on the sheath when tightened, but with not much inside. The end of the armour is enclosed within the body of the compression gland, out of the reach of fingers (from inside the board), meeting IP2x requirements. It's a lot neater than using a separate insulating box, containing a "proper" SWA gland.

Reply to How to actually TT a shed/garage? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock