Currently reading:
i am thinking about starting an electrician course

Discuss i am thinking about starting an electrician course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ektoras

i am thinking about starting an electrician course i live i plymouth
need some advise please... which places have got a good reputation
for people with no experience etc thanks luca

Sounds like yet another Lamb to the slaughter!!

Make you wonder what sort of mentality these people have, if they honestly think they can become an electrician in 17 days/5 weeks!!! God help us all!!!

after 17 days i could barely terminate a socket, let alone sign off my own work..

i remember arguing with a Electrical Trainee when i was doing the 2391 a couple of years back. he argued black and blue that there was nothing wrong with spurs off spurs on a ring. he said the ring is wired in 2.5mm2 and the spurs are wired in 2.5mm2. so whats the difference.

at that time i put my face into my palm. i gave up, he knew best. he knew better than the lecturer too.

Attachments

• facepalm-500x4001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 78
We can't all quit our jobs and take years out to do apprenticeships, we have all got to start somewhere. I know several older guys who did proper apprenticeships years ago and told them I was doing a 6 week course etc, and they were really quite taken by it, they did agree that if you make a good job of things and are competent there's no problem.

I think there's a lot of people who do short courses and the go on to trash people's houses! There's nothing to say that someone who has been doing it 20 years is going to be any better, it's like saying you have had a driving licence for 50 years so it makes you better at driving.

We can't all quit our jobs and take years out to do apprenticeships, we have all got to start somewhere. I know several older guys who did proper apprenticeships years ago and told them I was doing a 6 week course etc, and they were really quite taken by it, they did agree that if you make a good job of things and are competent there's no problem.

I think there's a lot of people who do short courses and the go on to trash people's houses! There's nothing to say that someone who has been doing it 20 years is going to be any better, it's like saying you have had a driving licence for 50 years so it makes you better at driving.

There is a simple answer to your first sentence, If your unable, can't do the time, or just not interested or bothered enough to put the time in, ...then look for another trade or profession. Preferably one that doesn't put your future clients/customers or their homes at risk...

I bet they were taken by it too, ...taken back!! All i can say is, that they were being overly polite.
I cannot for the life of me, see a time served electrician agreeing anything of the sort. They will know full well, that there is no way on this earth you can become an electrician in 6 weeks let alone be competent!! And there lies the be all and end all of it!!....

Your comparisons we've all heard before, and like any leaky bucket, they don't hold water!!

Have you ever met any on jobs or know any that gets work you should of got. I don't . I think they crazy spending that cash for a course which means very little to them and others. A lot of money. The only work they will get is off people they know

Ill keep my mouth zipped shut as I know it's controversial to discuss such things. You might say I've been had, but at the end of the day, I've got a load of level 3 city and guilds, registered with the NIC and have the exact same assessments as someone who has been doing it 20 years. I don't feel it takes 4 years of training to do general house bashing, I could do all that before, the only reason I did the courses was because without bits of paper I'm not going to get far...

Im only ever going to touch domestic stuff, so I feel perfectly competent and cannot see any problem. I'm doing my city and guilds 2394 and 2395 next month too.

I won't say any more, id rather not get into a slanging match!

With the absolute greatest respect, the "papers" you have are worth nothing compared to proper recognised City & Guilds qualifications, if tendering for a contract you wouldn't have a chance against city & guilds guys, if your wondering why I am this way it's because I've worked in a college on the workshop floor so I know what is involved in the proper qualifications and you can't compress even a fifth of what you really need to know into 5 weeks, it's a con and a farce

We can't all quit our jobs and take years out to do apprenticeships
Don't apprenticeships in the UK do day-release? Here in Guernsey as an apprentice you are employed by an electrical firm, learning on the tools with experienced colleagues, and go to College for one day a week, and in some years an evening class session as well. The government pays the employer a certain amount as compensation for losing his apprentice for one day, and it lets the apprentice get paid for a full 5 days.

Guernsey College of Further Education

But we can admit you can build on it, I think the i know how to do it but don't know why is something you'll ask a lot .

I do believe you maybe x army and course was offered to you?? Cause to spend your own money on this course is crazy, and don't doubt you can fit lights and sockets and wire a cooker. It's easy enough and it's experience that teaches you more when you know the theory

Call me an old cynic if you want mate but I reckon what the scams will do is offer conditional acceptance onto the DI register providing THEIR L3 qual is completed within a certain timeframe as THEIR qual will be better than anyone else's.
I believe it's an NVQ that's going to be the reuirement though, all the same they'll be offering them.
you mean like the `napit2391`?...lol..
i mean..why would you?..lol...lol.

Ill keep my mouth zipped shut as I know it's controversial to discuss such things. You might say I've been had, but at the end of the day, I've got a load of level 3 city and guilds, registered with the NIC and have the exact same assessments as someone who has been doing it 20 years. I don't feel it takes 4 years of training to do general house bashing, I could do all that before, the only reason I did the courses was because without bits of paper I'm not going to get far...

Im only ever going to touch domestic stuff, so I feel perfectly competent and cannot see any problem. I'm doing my city and guilds 2394 and 2395 next month too.

Who the hell are you to determine that it doesn't take 4 years of training and experience to conduct domestic electrical work?? With No training and no experience, i put it to you, that you Couldn't do all that before, and doubt very much if you can now!! The first time you hit a fault finding problem, and you'll be on here or another forum requesting assistance. Your like so many others we see on here, full of confidence because you passed a numbty assessment, and gained what can only be described as an ''add on'' qualification, ....ie, the 17th ed' C&G!!!

The only level 3 C&G qualification you could have possibly gained on your 5 or 6 week course is the Pat testing qualification, that should have never been given a level 3 status, because it just isn't level 3 standard!! So what are these other level 3 qualifications you say you have loads of??

So if your starting a 2394/2395, next month why didn't you go this route in the first place?? BTW, what do you call ''structured cabling experience'' then??

Being registered with the NICEIC is no test of competence, literary NOBODY fails a DI assessment from any of the scam providers. The difference between those that have been in the trade for 20 years, is they will have decent core qualifications and more importantly the experience to back it up!!

So can you do PLCs Motor Control etc when someone says there a sparks they should have some sort on site experience and not just know domestic. So what youre saying a few weeks course and your competent.. how much on site experience have you got ? Do you know any about Industrial and Commercial that stuff takes years to understand im doin this since im 17 and your talking through your hole ya havnt got a clue.

To be fair to original poster he only interested in domestic he says . But we have to ask ourselves why the powers that be let this course be acceptable. ,

Their ain't that many deaths so maybe they training us to we'll

Reply to i am thinking about starting an electrician course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back