Discuss I have decided... after a long time i want to become an Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

that's what I thought, the intake for this year is finished but I got out now as a sparks mate for a wage and experience, to hand out my cv is April 2022 to company's hoping they will take on apprentice with previous experience as an advantage.
You'll do fine mate, just keep on it. Be relentless and try everything. Someone will give you a shot. If not there's always college as a decent back up plan.

You'll do fine mate, just keep on it. Be relentless and try everything. Someone will give you a shot. If not there's always college as a decent back up plan.
College over here in Northern Ireland only offer 1 way to become a spark... which is an apprenticeship level 3

College over here in Northern Ireland only offer 1 way to become a spark... which is an apprenticeship level 3
Ah right. Then do everything in your power to get there. I also wouldn't wait til April - some firms might take you on now with a view to becoming an apprentice next year which means an extra year of experience under your belt by the time you qualify.

Top tips:

1. Picture on CV. Keep the CV simple and to the point - you need to use it to sell yourself.
  2. Emphasise anything that proves you are not going to be like a bumbling 16 year old who's never picked up a screwdriver before. Most apprentices have to be nursed for the first 6 months as they don't know anything. If you can save them that hassle it's a great selling point; it's basically the only reason i've been taken on - because my boss knows i'm going to be doing a lot of the work the qualified men do, with minimal instruction and yet he's only paying me minimum wage not £16+ an hour.
  3. Send emails, and follow up with phone calls. I sent around 35 and got two responses, but didn't have to make calls because one of the responses was an interview for the job i got.
  4. Leave ads in wholesalers.
  5. Speak to people in the trades, ask if they know anyone.
  6. If you see electrical vans outside houses, try going directly to them.

Ah right. Then do everything in your power to get there. I also wouldn't wait til April - some firms might take you on now with a view to becoming an apprentice next year which means an extra year of experience under your belt by the time you qualify.

Top tips:

1. Picture on CV. Keep the CV simple and to the point - you need to use it to sell yourself.
  2. Emphasise anything that proves you are not going to be like a bumbling 16 year old who's never picked up a screwdriver before. Most apprentices have to be nursed for the first 6 months as they don't know anything. If you can save them that hassle it's a great selling point; it's basically the only reason i've been taken on - because my boss knows i'm going to be doing a lot of the work the qualified men do, with minimal instruction and yet he's only paying me minimum wage not £16+ an hour.
  3. Send emails, and follow up with phone calls. I sent around 35 and got two responses, but didn't have to make calls because one of the responses was an interview for the job i got.
  4. Leave ads in wholesalers.
  5. Speak to people in the trades, ask if they know anyone.
  6. If you see electrical vans outside houses, try going directly to them.
I am currently out with the guy that offered me to go out with him as a self employed spark apprentice... i turned him down and said i'd mate with him for a year (I'm not going to but experience is what i need) I will quote what he said when i said an an apprentice needs to be employed by the company: (He said: Any apprentice i take on will have to be self employed. Im not paying national insurance, holiday pay or pension. If ur self employed u get a higher wage and about £2000 at end of tax year which more than covers holiday pay) I have to get some experience with a spark before i can contact any other company because i am finding without experience and being 20yr old nobody wants me really... I have called up NEARLY ever firm around me and the intake this year is full, i need to ride the wave with this guy for abit then start making moves to other company that will take an apprentice. thought?

I am currently out with the guy that offered me to go out with him as a self employed spark apprentice... i turned him down and said i'd mate with him for a year (I'm not going to but experience is what i need) I will quote what he said when i said an an apprentice needs to be employed by the company: (He said: Any apprentice i take on will have to be self employed. Im not paying national insurance, holiday pay or pension. If ur self employed u get a higher wage and about £2000 at end of tax year which more than covers holiday pay) I have to get some experience with a spark before i can contact any other company because i am finding without experience and being 20yr old nobody wants me really... I have called up NEARLY ever firm around me and the intake this year is full, i need to ride the wave with this guy for abit then start making moves to other company that will take an apprentice. thought?
Sounds like a plan.

The guy you're working for may well be good experience but in terms of what he's saying, in England anyway (NI might be different) you cannot be an 'apprentice' unless you're with a company cards-in. Since a proper apprenticeship is the only way in in your country i'm going to assume that you would never be seen as fully qualified if you did it his way. Maybe ring up the people who deal with registration in your country and run it by them?

Maybe ring up colleges and tell them your situation - sometimes they get firms contact them and they can put you forward as a potential apprentice.

With already working with a firm i think you'll be fine, but i would start putting out CV's right now. The fact you're already in work as a spark's mate is a huge bonus. Put in your CV what you can do or have experience with - something like:

Experience in installing:
  • Plastic PVC conduit installation
  • Fused spurs
  • 2.5mm ring mains and radials
  • CU wiring
  • Downlighters
  • Shower installation, both wiring and mounting
  • Basic plumbing, carpentry, flooring, demolition
  • 2 and 3-plate wiring methods for lighting
  • SWA

I got Married at 21 in 1971 mate, and bought me first house, £1.50 a week. what planet were you on?
that was my education grant for college. 1966 -1970, for the college time. the work placement periods paid about £7/week. then i got taken on at £22/week in 1970.
Sounds like a plan.

The guy you're working for may well be good experience but in terms of what he's saying, in England anyway (NI might be different) you cannot be an 'apprentice' unless you're with a company cards-in. Since a proper apprenticeship is the only way in in your country i'm going to assume that you would never be seen as fully qualified if you did it his way. Maybe ring up the people who deal with registration in your country and run it by them?

Maybe ring up colleges and tell them your situation - sometimes they get firms contact them and they can put you forward as a potential apprentice.

With already working with a firm i think you'll be fine, but i would start putting out CV's right now. The fact you're already in work as a spark's mate is a huge bonus. Put in your CV what you can do or have experience with - something like:

Experience in installing:
  • Plastic PVC conduit installation
  • Fused spurs
  • 2.5mm ring finals and radials
  • CU wiring
  • Downlighters
  • Shower installation, both wiring and mounting
  • Basic plumbing, carpentry, flooring, demolition
  • 2 and 3-plate wiring methods for lighting
  • SWA
corrected that for you. no charge this time.

nope. i call it twin and skin. sometimes twist and extend.

I bet you call T+E 'PVC PVC TWIN AND CPC' don't you? ☺️
I have been learning the methods, through a good channel an electrical tutor in England (GHS electrical) great channel... I will be still handing out my CV and I am trying to get an apprenticeship... they only take apprentices in on September of every year... deadline past. I am working my hardest at learning everthing I can give me an edge and show an employer that I'm work the apprenticeship. Btw I can do more than basic plumbing, my grandad, dad and brother are plumbers i was brought up in the field basically, (more like dragged through it ?) I have contact all my local spark and a wee bit further afield and they aren't taking anybody on im going to keep looking and asking... would need to update my cv with your good idea's though.

I have been learning the methods, through a good channel an electrical tutor in England (GHS electrical) great channel... I will be still handing out my CV and I am trying to get an apprenticeship... they only take apprentices in on September of every year... deadline past. I am working my hardest at learning everthing I can give me an edge and show an employer that I'm work the apprenticeship. Btw I can do more than basic plumbing, my grandad, dad and brother are plumbers i was brought up in the field basically, (more like dragged through it ?) I have contact all my local spark and a wee bit further afield and they aren't taking anybody on im going to keep looking and asking... would need to update my cv with your good idea's though.
This is my CV:

In Brief:

• D.O.B March 1987 - 34 years old
  • Own transport, full clean licence
  • Own tools
  • 17+ years experience in general building trades
  • Available immediately
  • Speak, read and write fluent French
  • Valid 5 year CSCS card, achieved with 100% on 6/8/2021, expires 2026

About me:

I am currently enrolled on a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Electrical Installation and Maintenance.

Work Experience

Sept 2021-Present – Electrical Apprentice, XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX ---.

Tasks include all aspects of electrical installation work in the industrial, commercial and domestic sectors, including consumer unit installation, radial and ring circuits, interior and exterior lighting both switched and photocell operated, fire alarms, accessory installation, emergency lighting testing, and first/second fixing all points as required.

2016-2021 – House husband/stay at home father.

2003-2016 – Self employed general builder working under XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXX, UK.

Tasks included liaising with customers, writing quotes, doing invoices, sourcing and pricing materials, keeping site clean, laying protective coverings before commencing work, and all other general building duties including but not limited to plastering, kitchen and bathroom installation, basic plumbing, garden maintenance and groundworks, exterior building construction, painting, velux and roofing installation, guttering, decking, solid floor installation, plasterboarding, drop ceilings, wood burner installation including flue, etc.

Education

I returned to adult education in 2010 at the XXXXXXXX --- College to get my Access to Higher Education Diploma, in which I achieved distinction in all my modules. This is the equivalent to having 3+ A-Levels at the ‘A’ grade and qualifies me to enter university in the UK and Europe.

My modules included IT and Computing, English Literature, and Mathematics. My certificates are available at your request.

I have a good command of the English and French languages and am comfortable with arithmetic.

This is my CV:

In Brief:

• D.O.B March 1987 - 34 years old
  • Own transport, full clean licence
  • Own tools
  • 17+ years experience in general building trades
  • Available immediately
  • Speak, read and write fluent French
  • Valid 5 year CSCS card, achieved with 100% on 6/8/2021, expires 2026

About me:

I am currently enrolled on a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Electrical Installation and Maintenance.

Work Experience

Sept 2021-Present – Electrical Apprentice, XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX ---.

Tasks include all aspects of electrical installation work in the industrial, commercial and domestic sectors, including consumer unit installation, radial and ring circuits, interior and exterior lighting both switched and photocell operated, fire alarms, accessory installation, emergency lighting testing, and first/second fixing all points as required.

2016-2021 – House husband/stay at home father.

2003-2016 – Self employed general builder working under XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXX, UK.

Tasks included liaising with customers, writing quotes, doing invoices, sourcing and pricing materials, keeping site clean, laying protective coverings before commencing work, and all other general building duties including but not limited to plastering, kitchen and bathroom installation, basic plumbing, garden maintenance and groundworks, exterior building construction, painting, velux and roofing installation, guttering, decking, solid floor installation, plasterboarding, drop ceilings, wood burner installation including flue, etc.

Education

I returned to adult education in 2010 at the XXXXXXXX --- College to get my Access to Higher Education Diploma, in which I achieved distinction in all my modules. This is the equivalent to having 3+ A-Levels at the ‘A’ grade and qualifies me to enter university in the UK and Europe.

My modules included IT and Computing, English Literature, and Mathematics. My certificates are available at your request.

I have a good command of the English and French languages and am
Nice CV, I've had full time jobs in my life (pig farm A.I unit) (Call centre) my previous job was a bathroom fitter but now I'm ready to get into a trade which is electric obviously. I'm going to do something similar... from starting your apprenticeship what would you say has been the hardest and easiest task?

Stop thinking start doing, in a minute life will get in the way and you’ll find 100 reasons not to do it, life is short youngn get out there and grab it ?
Trust me I've been trying to get out there... but its really hard nearly impossible to get a employer to offer an apprenticeship.

Nice CV, I've had full time jobs in my life (pig farm A.I unit) (Call centre) my previous job was a bathroom fitter but now I'm ready to get into a trade which is electric obviously. I'm going to do something similar... from starting your apprenticeship what would you say has been the hardest and easiest task?
Easiest has been sockets because they're just really simple.

Hardest is figuring out lighting that someone else has bodged and dealing with idiots.

The other day the manager where we're working wanted a hallway, and two sets of 8 LED panels switched off a single 1 gang. The guy i was working with said it couldn't be done since it's a three phase supply so we would have to take three separate phases to the one switch, so we put them on a 3 gang. Nice and easy you would think, but when we found the current switches pushed up inside a ceiling panel it had FIFTEEN cables going into it. Spaghetti junction, and took us about 3 hours to sort out.

We ended up running in a new feed on Kliks for some of it because it was easier.

Last edited:
Trust me I've been trying to get out there... but its really hard nearly impossible to get a employer to offer an apprenticeship.
It's difficult. I plugged away for 10+ years to get to where i am now.

The only reason i've been taken on is because my employer knows he's gonna get much more out of me. Soon i will be on jobs on my own, being paid £8.92 an hour while he's charging me out at £75 per fitting. It just is how it is, a mutual arrangement where i get what i want (the qualification and experience) and he gets what he wants (cheap labour).

Easiest has been sockets because they're just really simple.

Hardest is figuring out lighting that someone else has bodged and dealing with idiots.

It's difficult. I plugged away for 10+ years to get to where i am now.

The only reason i've been taken on is because my employer knows he's gonna get much more out of me. Soon i will be on jobs on my own, being paid £8.92 an hour while he's charging me out at £75 per fitting. It just is how it is, a mutual arrangement where i get what i want (the qualification and experience) and he gets what he wants (cheap labour).
yeah i know, (YOU SPEAK FLUENT FRENCH WAAAA?) Bonjour! (all i know) but the way you put a list of stuff on your CV (plastering, basic plumbing ect) an employer would want you to do that if required and as a apprentice spark it isnt your job really... but i get the way it shows what you can do and that you arent useless to a degree

yeah i know, (YOU SPEAK FLUENT FRENCH WAAAA?) Bonjour! (all i know) but the way you put a list of stuff on your CV (plastering, basic plumbing ect) an employer would want you to do that if required and as a apprentice spark it isnt your job really... but i get the way it shows what you can do and that you arent useless to a degree
It just highlights the transferable skills - so i obviously know how to measure, cut accurately (sometimes!), use a tape, use tools, figure stuff out if it's going wrong, etc. I know the process of putting full houses together from foundations to ridge tiles, all that stuff.

As for the employer wanting me to do that, yeah you're right - we just spent this week cutting out steel beam in some hangar with a grinder and a scissor lift. Not our job, but he's got us doing it anyway. As long as i feel safe i just do whatever i'm asked. In 3 years then i can start saying no. The qualified sparks were doing it too to be fair. Not our job but if he wants to pay 6 glorified labourers £150+ a day apiece to cut out steel then who are we to argue.

To be fair, it's not like they could have me doing stuff like that for say 6 months, since because it's an apprenticeship they have to show they're teaching me about the electrical trade and so i have to have evidence of 'new learning' where i'm doing novel tasks associated with the trade. If they don't meet that requirement they'll pull the funding and the money my employer gets.

To be fair it's the first time i've been asked to do something that isn't electrical, i'm always usually on first or second fix. Street lamps, bollard lighting, LED strips, sockets, panels, SWA, fire alarms, done all that in my first month.

Last edited:

Reply to I have decided... after a long time i want to become an Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net