Discuss Is this ok to extend a ring main? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Tot1984

DIY
Reaction score
I have had a new boiler fitted yesterday but the supply to the boiler has moved. The boiler is currently on a normal 3 pin plug plugged into a socket. What I want to do is have it wired into a fused spur. But in the future I want to run armoured cable to my shed off another fused spur on the same ring main as getting to the fuse board is nigh impossible.

Can someone tell me if this is correct in what I'm thinking to extent the ring main.

Thanks in advanceIs this ok to extend a ring main? 20210410_130344 - EletriciansForums.net

Yes, that is basically right.

Feeding the shed via a 13A FCU is perfectly OK providing that is enough for anything you need out there (e.g. couple of double 13A sockets for garden tools or the like). As it is most likely used outdoors, that circuit must be RCD protected, but probably your ring final already is.

For any lights in the shed use another FCU with a 3A fuse to switch and protect the cable, fitting, etc.

The Scolmore Click Mode FCU are also Double Pole and have nice clear terminals for IN and OUT (as do the MK)

I'd avoid the cheap FCUs as the terminal layout can be confusing and fiddly to terminate. Whether you are going surface box or back box, 35mm will make things a lot easier in terms of space for a ring and a feed out.

For future reference, you likely won't want to run armoured cable directly to a fused spur, but via a separate adaptable box with room for the gland to be made correctly to ensure the armour is earthed (though I would always suggest using 3 core armour too)

(You could in theory gland SWA directly to a plastic back box, but it's likely to be an exercise in frustration without experience)

As always when breaking into a ring, you will want to ensure that you maintain continuity of each conductor and ideally have some way of testing that.

Reply to Is this ok to extend a ring main? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock