Discuss Limitations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martysparky

Just wondering about limitations to testing.

We test the installation R1, R2, Rn, IR etc etc.

so we are testing the terminations etc.

What about the fixed items from a FCU like a cooker, fire, boiler that are sensitive and excluded from IR but also have open switches so are excluded from R1/ R2 etc.

How can we be sure of these disconnections and re-connections other than the simple pull test.

Or am I missing something here.

I put down the excemption of appliance and loads from the report on the cert, and refer to the 2377's content when it's brought up.

The tests you highlighted are for fixed installations as widdler said appliances would come under something else.

I've often discussed this and always used an examaple for a cooker. 95% of testing, espicially PIR's, you switch the cooker off from the double pole switch for the neons etc and test. What about the short run of cable, from the load side of the switch to a cooker point which most times is part of the fixed installation, that rarely of ever gets tested.

So would you disconnect the double pole switch and test or leave it? Like your question it's the inspectors call

I would agree with the client before hand certain limitations and record them on the PIR right at the start eg no dismantling, and point out that this would mean that fixed equipment was only tested up to the isolator and that if they wanted that extra cabling tested then there would be an extra charge per item.

An R2 test to a class I appliance is a popular compromise with clients unwilling to pay for fixed appliance testing.

Ok so we could disconnect the cable between an FCU or double pole switch and the equipment and test the cable beyond upto the equipment but when reconnecting how do we test the joint to the equipment? Is there a way?

I guess to standards etc we can formally exclude these but how could we prove if needed. I'm baffled, but I have noticed in some manufacturers instructions to use an industrial plug.........but that changes nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so we could disconnect the cable between an FCU or double pole switch and the equipment and test the cable beyond upto the equipment but when reconnecting how do we test the joint to the equipment? Is there a way?

I'm not quite sure if i understand what you mean.
If you are prepared to remove the cooker to get to the connection unit then you can test from the mcb up to there and disregard the isolator just making sure it was closed. The reconnections i suppose are down to your professionalism and experience. Although, as previously mentioned, the cpc can be checked with a wander lead if it is a class 1 appliance. Apologies if missing your point.

Reply to Limitations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net