Discuss MCB sizing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is there any issues in having 10amp breaker if the circuit is pulling just under 6 amps? I know the breakers there to protect the cable and the cable is 2.5 3 core armour. Just curious.

You have answered your own question. For 2.5mm SWA you could have an MCB of up to 25amps. If you need to limit the current at the delivery end of the SWA - maybe because there’s lights there using smaller wiring, or because the instructions state a fuse is needed - then fit an FCU with an appropriately lower rated fuse.

If you know the load is 6A then with 2.5mm conductors the 10 MCB may be a reasonable choice :).

Last edited:
Or could be... Iz≥In≥Ib or Ib≤In≤Iz

(just showing off as I've just discovered how to do those symbols)
(still working on how to do subscript on here)

Fixed loads do not necessarily require overload protection, as long as fault current protection is met by the device a device rating may exceed the CCC of the cable and still be compliant.

Or could be... Iz≥In≥Ib or Ib≤In≤Iz

(just showing off as I've just discovered how to do those symbols)
(still working on how to do subscript on here)
show us how. us plebs can only do the < and >. and i can sometimes enter "a" without activating the caps lock.

So when is over load protection needed? In theory you could run a lighting circuit of a 16amp breaker then as long as the cable is correct for 16 amps?
BS 7671 specifically stated that ceiling roses etc. can be connected to a circuit with a protective device rating not exceeding 16A, so yes - it's in black and white that you can do it.

So when is over load protection needed? In theory you could run a lighting circuit of a 16amp breaker then as long as the cable is correct for 16 amps?
1.5mm cable on a 16a breaker will work perfectly fine. It's how they do it in some other countries.

1.5mm cable on a 16a breaker will work perfectly fine. It's how they do it in some other countries.

some lighting accessories, switches and connections in the U.K. are only rated at 5/6amps...

that said even running at 15-16 Amos I doubt they would over heat

some lighting accessories, switches and connections in the U.K. are only rated at 5/6amps...

that said even running at 15-16 Amos I doubt they would over heat
Ah i didn't take into account any potential difference in fitting ratings. I continue to learn !

Having said that i'm now a bit confused as to your comment on them 'running at 16a' - as far as i thought i knew (which could be and probably is wrong) the breaker size doesn't make anything 'run' at a certain amperage it's simply there to catch a fault that spikes the amperage?

ie if you ran a kitchen extractor on a 40a breaker it would never detect the fault because the breaker is rated too highly and that's when you'd have problems?

(Just checking my understanding is right - very happy to be corrected)

So i'm presuming a fault on 6a stuff wouldn't spike sufficiently to allow the 16a breaker to detect it and therefore could cause fires? We were always taught (France) that 10a for lights but 16a if you wanted to make certain there wouldn't be any nuisance tripping.

Last edited:
So when is over load protection needed
a) Where the circuit load is not limited to below the cable CCC by design, i.e. the user could plug in or dial up more load on the equipment until the cable is overloaded.

b) Where equipment manufacturers specify it. Or rather, they will sometimes specify a maximum MCB or fuse size, not necessarily as overload protection but as short-circuit protection for the wiring and components inside the equipment. E.g. you might choose a 32A MCB to protect a 6mm² cooker circuit, where the oven is connected by 2.5mm² flex, and so long as the adiabatic is satisfied the flex will be protected against short-circuit. The flex won't handle 32A but the oven can't draw 32A for long enough to damage it, even in the event of an element failure. But the oven instructions might well specify a maximum 20A MCB because the oven internal wiring splits into multiple 1.0mm² cables, and for those the 32A MCB does not offer adequate short-circuit protection.

IMO the extractor fan 3A fuse business is just daft, though!

So i'm presuming a fault on 6a stuff wouldn't spike sufficiently to allow the 16a breaker to detect it

What governs the level of fault current available to trip the MCB is not so much the normal load rating of the 'stuff' but the resistance of the wiring supplying it. It takes a higher fault current to trip the larger MCB, which puts a lower ceiling on the loop impedance, and might require heavier cables. A long lighting circuit might have to be wired in 2.5mm² simply to enable a 16A MCB to trip fast enough, which is pointless if the total load is less than 6A.

a) Where the circuit load is not limited to below the cable CCC by design, i.e. the user could plug in or dial up more load on the equipment until the cable is overloaded.

b) Where equipment manufacturers specify it. Or rather, they will sometimes specify a maximum MCB or fuse size, not necessarily as overload protection but as short-circuit protection for the wiring and components inside the equipment. E.g. you might choose a 32A MCB to protect a 6mm² cooker circuit, where the oven is connected by 2.5mm² flex, and so long as the adiabatic is satisfied the flex will be protected against short-circuit. The flex won't handle 32A but the oven can't draw 32A for long enough to damage it, even in the event of an element failure. But the oven instructions might well specify a maximum 20A MCB because the oven internal wiring splits into multiple 1.0mm² cables, and for those the 32A MCB does not offer adequate short-circuit protection.

IMO the extractor fan 3A fuse business is just daft, though!

What governs the level of fault current available to trip the MCB is not so much the normal load rating of the 'stuff' but the resistance of the wiring supplying it. It takes a higher fault current to trip the larger MCB, which puts a lower ceiling on the loop impedance, and might require heavier cables. A long lighting circuit might have to be wired in 2.5mm² simply to enable a 16A MCB to trip fast enough, which is pointless if the total load is less than 6A.
So my understandings is it’s more about fault current to trip the breaker under fault conditions the higher rated breakers will need a lower impedance to satisfy the required disconnection time. The breakers primary function is to protect the cable from over heating so as long as the cable is rated higher then the breaker. As for (a) what are examples of overload situations?

As for (a) what are examples of overload situations?
Simple case is someone putting on too many heater (or kitchen appliances of comparable draw) on their 13A sockets.

A typical RFC design is for 32A max, which is about 7.4kW, or you might have a 20A radial for a couple of sockets, which is around 4.6kW, so if you put on 3 * 3kW you are over the design limit (but usually they are not all on simultaneously for any significant time).

Example: AV equipment rack with a PDU (power distribution unit) i.e. a box with lots of sockets mounted inside the rack to feed Blu-ray player, amplifier, matrix switcher, audio processor etc. If the total equipment load is 8A you might be tempted to run a 2.5mm² circuit for the rack, but protect it with a B32 MCB to avoid nuisance tripping from inrush. However there is nothing to stop an event caterer who has run out of nearby wall sockets plugging their hotplates and tea urns into the rack PDU sockets instead and overloading the cable. In this case there was a design current (8A) within the rating of the circuit, but the nature of the equipment does not absolutely guarantee that the user won't exceed it.

I can see from that example 2.5 on a 32 amp breaker can be overloaded but say if it’s a 16 amp radial on 4mm isn’t it hard to overload a circuit like that as the cables well over rated for a 16 amp breaker. Even with the RFC the MCB should break the circuit before it can be overloaded am I correct? Thanks for your help guys

I was giving an example in answer to your question of a load that could exceed its design rating, therefore not a fixed load and requiring overload protection by the MCB as well as fault protection for the cable. Had the PDU been internally fused at 16A total, it would not have been able to overload the circuit.

4mm^2 on a 16A MCB will be protected under almost all conditions, but the point was whether it needed to be proetcted against overload or just faults.

Reply to MCB sizing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock