Discuss New Summer house wiring installation - dedicated Circuit or break into existing ring main? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Planning on wiring my neighbour's summer house which will be 15 metres away from the end of the house (20-25 metres total distance from the supply CU under the stairs).

Need some advice on which option would be the most SAFE not just the quickest, cheapest method etc. If it costs more to be done properly then that’s how it will be done.

The electrical needs for the shed are:-

LED lighting

Power for a treadmill 1000w and heater 2000w

The situation is this - the house has been underpinned and has no access under it for running cables. The CU being where it is means it would be a tricky albeit not an impossible SWA run along the outside of the house, that's before you get to the drop down to the garden trench for the final stretch to the shed. The alternative to running it that way is going out to the wall behind the CU first then down under the driveway to the garden, although this would mean raising a fair few flags. I know this may sound lazy but I don't want to be lifting 5 metres of driveway flags to run the cable under that way, but if that is the best way so be it. Ideally I would prefer not to use a full run of 25 metres of SWA but again, if needs must.

There is a ring main socket situated on the downstairs back room wall adjacent to the rear garden that has a T+E 2.5mm2 coming out to a junction box on the exterior wall directly opposite. This JB is supplying flood lights (which don't work!).

Here's my first thought...

Could I replace the JB on the ext wall for a 13A FCU spur inside a waterproof casing (Doing away with the existing flood light cables) Run a 2.5mm SWA from this, bury it a foot deep along the side of the garden to one metal-clad double socket inside the shed avoiding the need for a sub-CU. Then feed off from this to an additional FCU switch 3A for the lighting circuit?

Here’s where I need guidance?

Will spurring off the downstairs 32a MCB ring main be ok for the distance and load etc?

If so, will SWA 2.5mm be enough or upgrade to 4mm, or 6mm?

Will the supply RCD be enough protection?

Do I need to ‘notify’ if done this way? If it is just an extension of the ring main I wasn’t sure if this was absolutely necessary or not. Obviously it is poor practice. Minor works?

Other considerations:-

Earthing system in house is TN-S

There will be no gas / water or extraneous metal in the shed.

I imagine in the upcoming winter months he will be having a heater on and the treadmill at the same time. 3000w / 230v = 13.04A, that is before taking into account voltage drop etc, but I can’t see him using both appliances to the max at same time. Giving that the fused spur is limiting him to only 13A I imagine this could be pushing it.

Any suggestions for better way would be great! Feel free to tear my plan apart, I’d rather set him straight with the task that’s required.

Thanks

Oh dear. Too many basic questions that lead me to suspect you arent the person who should be doing this. Did you tell your neighbour that you knew all about electrical stuff?

With respect, I will provide a straight answer to your first question
Need some advice on which option would be the most SAFE not just the quickest, cheapest method etc.
The option is for your neighbour to find a competent, registered electrician to do this job.
You could volunteer to help out, you may pick up some tips on the way.

Oh dear. Too many basic questions that lead me to suspect you arent the person who should be doing this. Did you tell your neighbour that you knew all about electrical stuff?

With respect, I will provide a straight answer to your first question

The option is for your neighbour to find a competent, registered electrician to do this job.
You could volunteer to help out, you may pick up some tips on the way.

Fair enough. I've been a sparks mate on commercial sites for a few years where I haven't had the need to look in the regs since I passed 17th.

Basically no experience on domestics but in principle I know more than the average DIYer.

So yeh I know my post come across that way and you're definitely right I should leave it to someone who knows EXACTLY what they're doing.

Just out of curiosity how would you approach that project.?
Do you think the spur off the ring main is a definite no-no..?

Dedicated circuit for the summer house, any future issues you can isolate it without affecting the main property.

Spurring off the RFC is a ---- poor design IMHO.

This would be notifiable under Part P as it's a new circuit.

Dedicated circuit for the summer house, any future issues you can isolate it without affecting the main property.

Spurring off the RFC is a ---- poor design IMHO.

This would be notifiable under Part P as it's a new circuit.
Good, thanks. At least I'm aware so I know what to say to him.

Sorry to pick your brain again. Would spurring off be a minor works gig only? I'm not going ahead with it, it's just for my own curiosity - technically it's an extension of an existing circuit but it seems like a loop hole / grey area exploitation when doing it like that. What do you think?

Agreed, you already identified that the known load is north of 13A. That should be a hint!

And there’s distance involved too (Volt drop). No point having a heater in there if it doesn’t get very hot and the treadmill slows down when you have them both running in January.

Fair enough. I've been a sparks mate on commercial sites for a few years where I haven't had the need to look in the regs since I passed 17th.

Basically no experience on domestics but in principle I know more than the average DIYer.

So yeh I know my post come across that way and you're definitely right I should leave it to someone who knows EXACTLY what they're doing.

Just out of curiosity how would you approach that project.?
Do you think the spur off the ring main is a definite no-no..?
Dedicated circuit Mate

Sorry to pick your brain again. Would spurring off be a minor works gig only? I'm not going ahead with it, it's just for my own curiosity - technically it's an extension of an existing circuit but it seems like a loop hole / grey area exploitation when doing it like that. What do you think?
Not really a grey area, could be done on a MWC and would not need to be notified.

But that's a lot of load to spur off an RFC with, it could be argued you could extend the RFC to the summerhouse but again poor design.

No point having a heater in there if it doesn’t get very hot and the treadmill slows down when you have them both running in January.
Run quicker, get warmer!!!

With out blowing your own trumpet.
I would be best to get another spark in to guide you and part p the work, asking to many question could be dangerous.
Yeh I've already decided I'm not going to do it. Don't think I was blowing my own trumpet tbh, thought I'd come on a respected site and get as much feedback as possible.

I'm not one of those that gets disheartened when people say ''get a proper spark to do a proper job'' every 5 minutes. It's hard enough to get experience in a trade these days when starting out, especially when certs and training continuously add up just to get your tools on a job.

Yeh I've already decided I'm not going to do it. Don't think I was blowing my own trumpet tbh, thought I'd come on a respected site and get as much feedback as possible.

I'm not one of those that gets disheartened when people say ''get a proper spark to do a proper job'' every 5 minutes. It's hard enough to get experience in a trade these days when starting out, especially when certs and training continuously add up just to get your tools on a job.
I aint said get a proper Sparks in for yonks now, not PC

at least striceo has had the balls to post on here, saying he's not sure. IMO, both options are viable but, as OP knows, coming off the RFC will limit the load. an option would be to come off the RFC into a small din rail enclosure, fit a 16A D/P MCB, but inform customer of the limitation re. loading.

at least striceo has had the balls to post on here, saying he's not sure. IMO, both options are viable but, as OP knows, coming off the RFC will limit the load. an option would be to come off the RFC into a small din rail enclosure, fit a 16A D/P MCB, but inform customer of the limitation re. loading.

funny you mention this as I did this quite often for garage & sheds supply back in the day, often hiding the little consumer unit behind the TV... but it seems rather unfashionable now with the preferred method a dedicated cable back to the consumer unit, which depending on the location can be awkward.

Awkward or not a dedicated supply is the right option in this case, "informing the customer to keep an eye on the loading is a get out of jail card"

Awkward or not a dedicated supply is the right option in this case, "informing the customer to keep an eye on the loading is a get out of jail card"
al depends on the custonmer's budget. do you turn down a job worth a couple of hundred when it can be done complant?

One thing that's not been mentioned is where the main incomer and meter box are - possibly a third option might exist by taking a Henley split, KMF, small board in the summer house. Maybe.

I looked at a summer house back in February before lockdown. Options were come off a ring main or a 65m 16mm SWA to the mains at the opposite corner of the house ? or a FCU 5m away.
They Wanted 2 twin sockets, indoor light and outdoor light. Got a call last week saying someone else did the work and the fuse has popped twice and could I have a look. Plugged 2 heaters in and it blew the fuse twice when the kettle was going.
They have asked me to do it properly with a sub main, told them to get someone else to do it now, can’t be arsed with it.

I looked at a summer house back in February before lockdown. Options were come off a ring main or a 65m 16mm SWA to the mains at the opposite corner of the house ? or a FCU 5m away.
They Wanted 2 twin sockets, indoor light and outdoor light. Got a call last week saying someone else did the work and the fuse has popped twice and could I have a look. Plugged 2 heaters in and it blew the fuse twice when the kettle was going.
They have asked me to do it properly with a sub main, told them to get someone else to do it now, can’t be arsed with it.

price it really high & sub it out to someone else as a cash job ...?

Reply to New Summer house wiring installation - dedicated Circuit or break into existing ring main? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock