Discuss NICEIC, Elecsa, Napit, Corgi, Stroma etc.. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Stroma is the cheapest, they're all the same. Charge you £s for the privilege of working in the domestic sector.
Fight the power!

I think Stroma were offering a discount for anyone who moved to them from one of the others.

Personally I will be looking at the BSI scheme when my renewal is due, or just dropping it completely. Either way ELECSA will be getting a nice letter explaining why I won't be giving them any more money.

Dave, talk to me about BSI Kitemark. It IS a bit different to the scams (to a point).

I've just looked at the bsi kitemark.. Does sound quite good, £618 exc vat though.. It's very good at saying "91% of people who recognise kitemark believes it gives them reassurance of quality".. I think the key word is "recognise" though.. Not everyone would.. Therefore could be a bit pointless again.. They all just do the same thing. It's how far you want to take it I guess..? If you're a one man band stroma seems to be the way to go. Larger companies; NIC/possibly BSI. Everyone else it's up to which logo you prefer..

I've just looked at the bsi kitemark.. Does sound quite good, £618 exc vat though.. It's very good at saying "91% of people who recognise kitemark believes it gives them reassurance of quality".. I think the key word is "recognise" though.. Not everyone would.. Therefore could be a bit pointless again.. They all just do the same thing. It's how far you want to take it I guess..? If you're a one man band stroma seems to be the way to go. Larger companies; NIC/possibly BSI. Everyone else it's up to which logo you prefer..

I think you have missed the point!
NIC and their other brands are a bunch of money grabbers who are only interested in making money and do nothing for electrical safety. They encourage and assist the incompetant and downright dangerous by giving them a badge which makes unsuspecting homeowners think they are regulated and monitored!

Oh no, I completely agree on that front ! They definitely are ! All you pay for is the badge.. Because they are recognised with the electrical trade, they abuse the situation, regardless of safety, just for self gain ! As you rightly say.. But, they are none the less, regarded, outside the electrical contractors world, as the bigwigs.. People who don't know the ins and outs, assume if you're not with the nic you aren't good enough to be in them.. Which is beyond a joke, but that's how average joes see it.

I know we always have a moan about the different schemes, however Stroma have visited me twice (initial registration and x1 renewal) and have spent the entire day with me, quizzing me about the regs and (during renewal) going through my consumer unit change with a fine tooth comb.

Both times he has asked for additional information before he has passed me. I find him extremely thorough and professional. Is this not the same for the other schemes? What happens when they come out to you guys every year? Do they go through all your paperwork and then choose a random job to go out and visit as do Stroma? Do they do this properly or do they not really seem to take an interest when they visit? Do they spend the whole day?

Stroma charge me £288p/a for each remewal, which seems reasonable. I realise the other schemes charge more (£400-500) so if people are unhappy with this amount they have the choice to use a cheaper scheme.

Last edited:
I had my Elecsa assessment today. 2 hours including about 20 minutes chat and travel time to and from the site visit.

Hardly taxing

My ELECSA assessment a few weeks ago was also about 2hrs - around 45 mins paperwork, 45 mins on site, the rest general chat & travel to/from the site. Given that the two previous assessments had covered the usual technical questions, the assessor more or less said there was not much point in asking the same questions again, as I probably hadn't forgotten the answers.

I had my Elecsa assessment today. 2 hours including about 20 minutes chat and travel time to and from the site visit.

Hardly taxing

Wow!! and thats £450 Murdoch! If thats similar for other schemes then I can see the problem. Perhaps it is a shorter visit for yourself though as you are experienced. My tutor who had been an electrician for many years said he had built up a relationship with the Napit assessor and the visit was more a formality. Perhaps others who are less experienced (like my self) have a longer visit?

My ELECSA assessment a few weeks ago was also about 2hrs - around 45 mins paperwork, 45 mins on site, the rest general chat & travel to/from the site. Given that the two previous assessments had covered the usual technical questions, the assessor more or less said there was not much point in asking the same questions again, as I probably hadn't forgotten the answers.

Ok.. 2 hours is starting to look normal for Elecsa. I wonder about the others? ... and what they cover?

My assessor asked how could the annual assessments be improved..... I suggested that they annual checks for insurance/calibration could be done electronicaly and the assessors should then focus on random checks of notified work and/or following up on reports of bad practice by homeowners and other sparks!

I had my first ever ELECSA assessment last year and he was about an hour late so he had to rush it a bit as he had to try to make up time to get to the next one! And he wasn't fully versed in the finer points of the regulations!

I don't belong to any of the above "clubs" Why do I need to pay one to tell me if I am "good enough"? if membership fees aren't enough, they add rules and regulations for the members to comply with, along with site visits.

Reply to NICEIC, Elecsa, Napit, Corgi, Stroma etc.. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net